Thanks fellas!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

After thinking this whole new room through and objectively looking at my entire situation... I finally came to the decision that I'm going to temporarily suspend the audio habit for now.

I feel that it's a bit too early to try and push the system right now. I don't think that I'm currently in a position to really get my system to be absolutely phenomenal. I feel like it would be best to wait 2 or 3 years and truly push for a stupendous system.

By that time, I'm assuming I would have a real house with a real room that I'd have full control over the acoustics. I'm also assuming that I'd have the money to really flex the system and hopefully even get a fine vinyl rig going. I'm so excited.. perhaps Dartzeels, Lamms, or some other new and awesome components will be mine by that time.

Right now, money is tight and I've had a few neighbors complain about the dB level.

That combined with the fact that the room requires quite a bit of money to fix up and this would be only temporary until I move next year, it's too tough to hang onto a system just yet.

I'm going to build a not-so-costly HT setup for $1 or $1.5K for now just so I could entertain my friends a bit more. And I'm going to move the Cary 306/200 CDP to my room as a source for my headphone set up. I won't be surprised if I end up with a small bookshelf system in my room... but no reference for now.

No worries though, I will be back in full swing in 2 or 3 years and I will be heavily considering whatever ML has to offer at that time. Used CLXs might even be on the 'gon by that time! :)

As sad as this decision has been for me, I'd rather look at it more positively. I've learned so much in the past 3 years and it's been a trip! This club is so awesome and it's been such a good and friendly family for me. I've experienced so much through this most recent audio adventure and I've been so fortunate to have found this MLO club back in 2005.

I am so thankful to the many members on this club who have welcomed me and treated me like family. From Dave (Pops) to Tim, from Burke to Wayne, from Cherian to David, from Rich to Jason... everybody from Seth to Gordon to Adam to James to Ken to Bob to Dan to Jeff Z. So many people and many more whom I have not thanked... thanks!

Not to worry, I'll always be around to help out members with whatever I can, even if I temporarily lose my ML speakers.

;)

Hey everybody!

After thinking this whole new room through and objectively looking at my entire situation... I finally came to the decision that I'm going to temporarily suspend the audio habit for now.

I feel that it's a bit too early to try and push the system right now. I don't think that I'm currently in a position to really get my system to be absolutely phenomenal. I feel like it would be best to wait 2 or 3 years and truly push for a stupendous system.

By that time, I'm assuming I would have a real house with a real room that I'd have full control over the acoustics. I'm also assuming that I'd have the money to really flex the system and hopefully even get a fine vinyl rig going. I'm so excited.. perhaps Dartzeels, Lamms, or some other new and awesome components will be mine by that time.

Right now, money is tight and I've had a few neighbors complain about the dB level.

That combined with the fact that the room requires quite a bit of money to fix up and this would be only temporary until I move next year, it's too tough to hang onto a system just yet.

I'm going to build a not-so-costly HT setup for $1 or $1.5K for now just so I could entertain my friends a bit more. And I'm going to move the Cary 306/200 CDP to my room as a source for my headphone set up. I won't be surprised if I end up with a small bookshelf system in my room... but no reference for now.

No worries though, I will be back in full swing in 2 or 3 years and I will be heavily considering whatever ML has to offer at that time. Used CLXs might even be on the 'gon by that time! :)

As sad as this decision has been for me, I'd rather look at it more positively. I've learned so much in the past 3 years and it's been a trip! This club is so awesome and it's been such a good and friendly family for me. I've experienced so much through this most recent audio adventure and I've been so fortunate to have found this MLO club back in 2005.

I am so thankful to the many members on this club who have welcomed me and treated me like family. From Dave (Pops) to Tim, from Burke to Wayne, from Cherian to David, from Rich to Jason... everybody from Seth to Gordon to Adam to James to Ken to Bob to Dan to Jeff Z. So many people and many more whom I have not thanked... thanks!

Not to worry, I'll always be around to help out members with whatever I can, even if I temporarily lose my ML speakers.

;)

Joey,

Most of us understand that those Diamond rings are expensive. A lot of us have been there....

Don't forget to sell the Philip Miniwatt. Price?

GL to you

Are you sure you want to actually sell off all your gear? Apparently, there's a lot more going on than room acoustic challenges. Why not just packed it up and store it for a while. It will be like Christmas when you open those boxes again. Sounds like a really bad case of Fiance-itis. I liked you better when you suffered from Joeyitis. We'll certainly miss your presence on this site.

Last edited:
This is really sad...

R.I.P. Joey_V
Aug. '05 - June '08

Thanks for the Cary SLP 98p.

Rock on Little Brother!
Satch

Oh Joey. I'm with Craig on this. Joeyitis inevitably leads to flame out. You are going to need the respite of the MUSIC later this year when the enormous burden of your chosen path weighs heavily on your heart. Turn down the volume and forget about the gear for awhile.

last week i dropped a month and a half of salary onto my girlfriends finger. best thing i ever did. and in four months, i'll be moving. when i started my HT room reno 2 years back (just now finishing), i had no idea that i'd be looking at a new page in my life and a new location. so i'll be saying goodbye to the custom in wall ICs, the dedicated circuits and so on.

my first ML system was 2 channel CLS, with dedicated circuits in a dedicated room. this time i went the next step and got dedicated wiring and ICs installed, and full 7.1, the next one, in the new house will be even better

so Joey, you have nowhere to go but up. building dedicated listening room/HTs is mildly addictive. have fun with this 1 - 1.5 K system and look forward to the next one.

and the next, and the next ... :)

Thanks fellas...

It's interesting, I've been getting quite a few emails through the audiogon email system (I suppose through my ads) about how they read my prior reviews on a number of products and something about me getting back into the hobby rather quick.

I will be back. It's just temporary and when I get back, I'll have more disposable income and a much better room (now that I know the room is atleast 50% of the system) to accommodate a (hopefully) better system.

I would also like to thank Alan, George, and Craig of the FL contingent... almost forgot those 3. Satch also... we've had many funny PMs between us. And of course, Tony... I've always enjoyed your comments, your nice system, and the insight you gave me during the 07 Meet.

Most of all, I would like to thank Tom for keeping this wonderful site up for all of us Loganites.

Craig - I could just closet the gear for a bit, but that's money that remains holed up. It's probably best if I approach my next system with a clear plate and an open mind.

I won't be surprised if I'll be next in line for the next gen Logans or CLX... among others of course.

Interestingly, I did achieve audio nirvana for a little bit - back when I had my entire system in my old room. It lasted about 2 weeks then I had to move.

The room, the new neighbors, the fact that my new place brought my disposable income to near zero, and the fact that residency is gearing up... I've decided to let the system go to audiophiles who are going to enjoy it more than I can at the present moment.

I'll always be around though, this place rocks!

But it's time to start dreaming up the blueprints for my next system.

When I become attending not too long from today, I want a Rives room with some of the best gear running the best speaker I can find for the price. I want something like a dartZeel combo running some Evolution Acoustic MM3 or perhaps the Magico V3 or Mini II. Or perhaps the CLX or the new version of the 800D.

I'm going to keep subscribing to Stereophile and TAS just to keep up with the new products and keep my knowledge base relatively intact.

I know as time progresses I'll be a bit behind the times, but you guys (among others) will help me bridge that gap.

Joey :)

Last edited:
Joey,

Most of us understand that those Diamond rings are expensive. A lot of us have been there....

Don't forget to sell the Philip Miniwatt. Price?

GL to you

I'm not going to sell the Miniwatt... that thing took me a month to find. I'm sure that the next tube pre I get will need this spectacular tube in the rectifier.

:)

Thanks for the well wishes btw... your spikes are awesome. They are going to go to the next owner and I'm going to make sure he/she knows how to install them and what they're for.

last week i dropped a month and a half of salary onto my girlfriends finger. best thing i ever did. and in four months, i'll be moving. when i started my HT room reno 2 years back (just now finishing), i had no idea that i'd be looking at a new page in my life and a new location. so i'll be saying goodbye to the custom in wall ICs, the dedicated circuits and so on.

my first ML system was 2 channel CLS, with dedicated circuits in a dedicated room. this time i went the next step and got dedicated wiring and ICs installed, and full 7.1, the next one, in the new house will be even better

so Joey, you have nowhere to go but up. building dedicated listening room/HTs is mildly addictive. have fun with this 1 - 1.5 K system and look forward to the next one.

and the next, and the next ... :)

Thanks! Hahaha... the room is going to be as good as I can build it... you're right, it's going to be addictive. Can't wait!

Oh Joey. I'm with Craig on this. Joeyitis inevitably leads to flame out. You are going to need the respite of the MUSIC later this year when the enormous burden of your chosen path weighs heavily on your heart. Turn down the volume and forget about the gear for awhile.

Flame out? Nah... no way. Joey doesn't flame out. Besides, I'm still going to have a personal music system - I'm going to keep the Cary 306/200 CDP and hook up a world class headphone amp and some top headphones and set up a small area in my bedroom to enjoy this. Probably a small listening chair just to relax by the window. I've had headphones before and they're pretty easy to get good sound without the troubles of room acoustics. Like I said, I won't be surprised if I land a pair of ok bookshelves or small floorstanders in the near future to complement my bedroom... just a small system to keep my sane.

The thing with my big system... I'm just not able to utilize the system for what it's worth. Even with proper room treatments.... the fact that I now have roommates + angry neighbors isn't the best way to enjoy a world class reference system. Add to that the money to tame this angry room and you get the idea... why stretch myself financially for a system that I cannot fully enjoy (as I did before) now, especially when I can comfortably enjoy an even better system in the future?

Are you sure you want to actually sell off all your gear?
I'm sure Craig... I stayed away from this site for a week just so I could objectively weigh my options. It's the best move for now. I can always put the system back together if need be.

It was a great journey, the learning curve just kept going and going and going.

No worries, I'm still going to be active and am still up for meets and gatherings. This is merely a temporary dormancy, in the span that it took from my first post to today, I'll be back at it again (hopefully) and looking at you guys to help piece together a possible new Logan system.

R.I.P. Joey_V
Aug. '05 - June '08

Thanks for the Cary SLP 98p.

Rock on Little Brother!
Satch

Enjoy brother... enjoy... :).

Last edited:
Joey,
I can respect those decisions. It's important that you focus on what's truly important and to invest in your future.

I was hoping to see you at the RMAF this year. I had laryngitis at last year's Martin Logan meet and couldn't talk very but I'm really more outgoing than that.

Just remember you always have your friends from the ML club and it was always interesting to log onto the site just to see what Joey was going to do next and to watch your system blossom to one of the most envious of the group.

Karin says don't marry a women who doesn't like your hobby, because next she won't like your clothes, your hair, your car, your friends, your mother, etc...you get the point. Just kidding:D

Take care dude, and don't forget to visit once in a while. Karin and I wish you the best in all your endeavors. :rocker:

hey Joey!
i've followed your posts for some time back when you just had Rotel gear and posted a lot on the Polk audio forum ( I think that's right). Since I was bitten by the upgrade bug, I followed a parallel path as you and always looked to see where Joey was headed next! But I also know you are starting out in life, not in the middle of it, and so priorities are different and I think your decision is a testament to your knowledge of yourself and what needs to be number one in your life at this point. I'm not much older at 33, but I am settled in, did the "go broke and buy a ring thing", bought the house, and all the crazy stuff first before I allowed myself the pleasure of indulgence into this hobby. I hope you continue to grace us all with your visits here even though it will be as a "citizen" for a while :D until then, enjoy that Cary (you just bought it man...you have to keep it) and get that residency wrapped up!
Cheers,
Adam :music:

Wow Joey,

I don't know what to say.. I double checked the calendar and it's not April 1st.

I'm sure that you've got alot going on in your life as a Doctor.... From what I gather on "Gray's Anatomy" you interns are really busy fucking each other and getting shitfaced between shifts, so I'm sure you'll keep yourself busy (wink wink, nudge nudge, knowwhatimean, knowwhatimean).;)

Please make sure to check in on occasion and let us know how you're doing. We will sure miss you and when newbies ask "what does Joey-itis mean?", we'll make sure to let them know the legend that is Joey.

And of course, the final word in headphones is STAX - electrostatic bliss!!

Be good, brother!

Tom.

Joey -
Agreed - there is some logic in your decision. Not to do any arm-twisting - but - There is an entirely different aspect of this hobby upon which you have not yet embarked: diy. For not too much money you can pick up good-performing tube amp kits and speaker kits. I have been using these things as second and third systems for years. A small self-constructed system for your bedroom may be just what the doctor (ha!) ordered for your temporary audiophile fix.

Let us know what is going on, and good luck to you!

Thanks!

Gosh everybody... you guys are making me blush!

This is only temporary and this is merely me losing my reference system. Not to worry, I don't think I can fight the audio bug away forever... just this am, I was looking on audiogon at a pair of some Paradigm Signature 4 v2 bookshelves!

Hahaha!

I am going to predict a Krell 400xi integrated and a pair of similar quality bookshelves to tide me over for the next 3 years in my bedroom. I think this is the best move.

Then when I become attending, let the reference system come!! :bowdown::D

Hey Guy

We've followed each others upgradeitis for three years since Club Rotel! I'm the last one that will ever believe that you can stay away from this hobby for long. Remember that relapse is part of the disease we call Joeyitis...lol

You may want to look at a pair of Gallo Ref3s for that MBR...they work well with the Krell Integrated, have a small footprint for a floor stander, are not at all placement sensative..and, with the grilles off.... look sharp too!

Last edited:
Joey - hope things go well... and I agree with you. Sell your stuff while it still has value. When you are ready to rock again - there will be something out there you like better... I have tried to talk my wife into your Cary... but to no avail. My bro' even lives in chicago for easy pickup..... but, hey - we have some trip or something to go on....Do you do financing?? :D

Good luck to you - and heres hoping you stick around a bit.... tim

Joey - hope things go well... and I agree with you. Sell your stuff while it still has value. When you are ready to rock again - there will be something out there you like better... I have tried to talk my wife into your Cary... but to no avail. My bro' even lives in chicago for easy pickup..... but, hey - we have some trip or something to go on....Do you do financing?? :D

Good luck to you - and heres hoping you stick around a bit.... tim

Would've been nice if you took the Cary... tsk tsk tsk...

No worries, I'm getting quite a bit of bites on my gear. I won't be surprised if they sell by the end of today or tomorrow. I already have a pending on the Cary...

Good gear sell quick.

Hey Guy

We've followed each others upgradeitis for three years since Club Rotel! I'm the last one that will ever believe that you can stay away from this hobby for long. Remember that relapse is part of the disease we call Joeyitis...lol

You may want to look at a pair of Gallo Ref3s for that MBR...they work well with the Krell Integrated, have a small footprint for a floor stander, are not at all placement sensative..and, with the grilles off.... look sharp too!

Doc,

How can I forget you? I first met you on the Rotel forum then we assimilated on this one as well! Nice to see you move from the RF7 to the Summits, btw!

just spoke to Joey on the telephone...

He is sounding sad about selling all his gear, but with the combination of the room, roommates, neighbors and his work schedule, it's probably the right thing to do at this point in his personal and professional evolution.

I forsee a kick-ass system in his future... one that we will all envy and I can't wait to see what he'll do down the road. And it's really all about the music anyway.. not the equipment, and he'll still have that with a smaller system and a nice set of headphones.

With that being said, I am officially reporting that his Summits have found a new home... we struck a deal for me to purchase them..... We're both happy and excited that the speakers will stay in the "family"...

Of course the speakers will be SO much happier with a Pass Labs amp driving them... :devil:

just spoke to Joey on the telephone...
.....I am officially reporting that his Summits have found a new home... we struck a deal for me to purchase them..... We're both happy and excited that the speakers will stay in the "family"...

Of course the speakers will be SO much happier with a Pass Labs amp driving them... :devil:

Goodbye, Joey. We'll all miss your presence for sure. Best of luck. I went thru that phase in my audio journey too, so I know how you feel. Only my sabbatical lasted all of 9 years or so (with a small Quad and the Spica TC50s to keep me sane)!

Welcome to the Summit Club, Tom. Am sure you'll enjoy these wonderful speakers.

Back