Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TomDac's review of the MartinLogan CLX

Here the link to the Q&A with David Allen:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...ead.php?t=6776

Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Default Great thread!

Hi Tom:

Just discovered this great site and really enjoyed reading your play by play visit to the ML headquarters. Keep up the great work.

:P

Tom, thanks for the review. I was fortunate to be in Seattle this past week, and heard the CLX demo. Amazing, and I've found my next (and last) speaker upgrade. I'm very interested that ML used a Parasound A21 for your demo, especially because this is what I use driving an all-Parasound home theater setup. The A21 "only" puts out 250 wpc--I would have assumed that the big CLX would have needed more, but the ML guys at the Seattle demo did indicate that this should be sufficient. They were recommending either tube amps and/or a tube pre/pro with the CLX, to warm up the sound, but indicated that 250 wpc, even solid state, should be fine.

So Tom, I'd like to hear more about how you think the A21 paired with the CLX. Obviously it never got to the point where it was clipping for you, but did the sound ever appear thin, like you felt some more power would have really filled out the sound?

(for everyone, ML was also describing the CLX as being a fairly efficient speaker. I think they said 97 db/W)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildblue View Post
    Tom, thanks for the review. I was fortunate to be in Seattle this past week, and heard the CLX demo. Amazing, and I've found my next (and last) speaker upgrade. I'm very interested that ML used a Parasound A21 for your demo, especially because this is what I use driving an all-Parasound home theater setup. The A21 "only" puts out 250 wpc--I would have assumed that the big CLX would have needed more, but the ML guys at the Seattle demo did indicate that this should be sufficient. They were recommending either tube amps and/or a tube pre/pro with the CLX, to warm up the sound, but indicated that 250 wpc, even solid state, should be fine.

So Tom, I'd like to hear more about how you think the A21 paired with the CLX. Obviously it never got to the point where it was clipping for you, but did the sound ever appear thin, like you felt some more power would have really filled out the sound?

(for everyone, ML was also describing the CLX as being a fairly efficient speaker. I think they said 97 db/W)
    The A21 sounded fine.. I like Halo gear and think they mate very good with Logans. I actually almost pulled the trigger on some JC1s before I got my Pass...

anyway, I would've been interesting to hear the CLX's with a super high end amp half way thru the day in the same room with the same music. That would've been the only way to tell if the A21 wasn't doing a good job, but to my ears, it was pure bliss!
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Thanks, that's what I like to hear!

Tom - being very recently 'back' to the site, I had completely missed your review of the CLX: really excellent coverage and great photo's.

I will definitely have to see these for real and hear them for myself. In Kuwait that's impossible - so it will have to wait for a trip to London which I hope to make later this year....the trouble is I'm very attached to my Prodigy's and more than any other piece of equipment I've owned, I'm very reluctant to change these.

Regarding the bass - I read on the ML site that they cutsomise the Descent i cross over for the CLX's....quote "an optional internal module will be available with low pass filtering custom tailored....to the CLX..."

Did the ML team mention this? What would your view be of adding Descent i's to the CLX, nothwithstanding that you seem quite impressed with the bass capability of the CLX as is?

Thanks again for a useful and very informative write up.

I'm sure that Tom will talk about his experience, but the ML reps did talk about this in Seattle as well. They say that if you look on the back of a Descent sub, you'll see a "CLX" setting, and that you like, you can get a new processing board to put into the Descent, to mate seamlessly with the CLX.

Sounds cool to me, but if I get so lucky as to buy a set of CLX's, I don't see me replacing my subs as well. I'll probably just stick with my dual SVS PC-Ultras.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Regarding the bass - I read on the ML site that they cutsomise the Descent i cross over for the CLX's....quote "an optional internal module will be available with low pass filtering custom tailored....to the CLX..."
    I didn't know this and ML didn't talk about it.

very interesting.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Super User

An awesome review. After hearing the CLXs myself recently, I can vouch for the amazing bass response. If I could afford a pair, I certainly wouldn't worry about a sub.