Migrating to Proac D28

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I am thinking of migrating from Summit to ProAc Response D28 which will be driven by Six Pac. I stay in a Centrally air conditioned apartment where A/C is running for 24/7 and 365 days a year. In spite of all that and covering the speaker when not in use - with their poly cover, I have to vacuum the panels religiously every month in fact I maintain a log for that. Otherewise mid and highs sound dull. Really tired of maintaining and planning for a conventional speaker like ProAc D28. Have'nt heard these speakers but read many reviews.
Any suggestion?

The dry environment you have in Kuwait is actually good for electrostats but I'm sure you get a lot of fine dust to go along with the hot dry weather which of course is bad. Have you tried using high grade air filters on your A/C to keep the dust levels down? Are you using the Cary Six Pacs to drive the Summits or something else? Have you tried a high power amp on the Summits?

I live in Florida and vacuum mine about twice a month. I don't mind the regular house keeping since it only takes a few minutes to clean each speaker.

I'm not familiar with the ProAC line of speakers. If you intend to switch to dynamic cone speakers then you may want to take a look at the Sonus Faber line. They're Italian and probably available in your area for a reasonable price (although not cheap). The Classic or Homage series should match up well with the Cary Six Pacs.

I am thinking of migrating from Summit to ProAc Response D28 which will be driven by Six Pac. I stay in a Centrally air conditioned apartment where A/C is running for 24/7 and 365 days a year. In spite of all that and covering the speaker when not in use - with their poly cover, I have to vacuum the panels religiously every month in fact I maintain a log for that. Otherewise mid and highs sound dull. Really tired of maintaining and planning for a conventional speaker like ProAc D28. Have'nt heard these speakers but read many reviews.
Any suggestion?

I can understand your frustration at the amount of care that these speakers demand.
Is there any way for you to audition the Proacs in your place before you buy them?From my experience-it is very very difficult to go to a dynamic design when you have become used to MLs.
Electrostats are influenced by humidity.I would expect the humidity to be quite low where you are.Maybe the AC is raising the humidity?
Hope that you can remain with your summits.
Raanan

I bought some ProAc Response 2.5s a while ago. ProAc are one of the best dynamic speaker manufacturers, and I have admired them for years as such. However, when you have some MLs in the house (Ascent/Descent), dynamic speakers just don't seem to be able to cut the mustard. In other words, I put the ProAcs on ebay after about a year. They didn't see much use. They were not cheap new - about £2700 at the time ($5400), and they were only part of a 2nd system.

The D28 looks broadly equivalent to the 2.5. In other words, your Summits will simply be IN ANOTHER LEAGUE soundwise. So you will have to balance sound against convenience/practicality.

Justin

The dry environment you have in Kuwait is actually good for electrostats but I'm sure you get a lot of fine dust to go along with the hot dry weather which of course is bad. Have you tried using high grade air filters on your A/C to keep the dust levels down? Are you using the Cary Six Pacs to drive the Summits or something else? Have you tried a high power amp on the Summits?

I live in Florida and vacuum mine about twice a month. I don't mind the regular house keeping since it only takes a few minutes to clean each speaker.

I'm not familiar with the ProAC line of speakers. If you intend to switch to dynamic cone speakers then you may want to take a look at the Sonus Faber line. They're Italian and probably available in your area for a reasonable price (although not cheap). The Classic or Homage series should match up well with the Cary Six Pacs.

All these while I have been using Plinius SA-102 but EL34 based TRIODE Class-a (50 Watts RMS) is a different ball game - specially the midrange and overall clarity. These mono block can drive the Summit pretty well.

All these while I have been using Plinius SA-102 but EL34 based TRIODE Class-a (50 Watts RMS) is a different ball game - specially the midrange and overall clarity. These mono block can drive the Summit pretty well.
Sorry to hear about your frustration with maintenance of the Summits. Regarding the musicality of the SixPacs, I've been posting about them for years in this forum :D

Spike

ProAc is great. I've heard many and always been impressed.

If this is not an issue with the "SOUND" of your Summits (ie. purely the maintenance) then you should also take a listent to the Audio Physic line - they are the most electrostatic sounding dynamic speakers I've ever heard!

ProAcs are great speakers, but somewhat warm tonally compared to your Summits. If you have a Wilson dealer, Id suggest the Sophia 2's. Somewhat similar to the Summits tonally and VERY dynamic! Plus also very efficient like your Summits so they will work very well with your tube amps...

Good luck with the search.

ProAc is great. I've heard many and always been impressed.

If this is not an issue with the "SOUND" of your Summits (ie. purely the maintenance) then you should also take a listent to the Audio Physic line - they are the most electrostatic sounding dynamic speakers I've ever heard!

I know im late here,but if you're gonna leave ML for a dynamic speaker........Audio Physic,is what you want to have.........point blank!

Can you tell me the major differences in sound between Proac D28 & ML Summit. Another issue to to tame the bass in my 25' by 13' room? I think D28 is easier to drive with my Six Pac Tube amp. I switched from B&W 802 Sr III to ML SL3 10 years back due to the bass loading in my room. I am under imression the bass can be easily controlled with smaller speakers. D28 has a sensitivity of 88.5 db and easier on the load for any tube amps. Another advantage of D28 is that they are not so critical on the speaker placement and the imaging is stunning (sweet spot is much wider). Another advantage - no active electronics involved in D28 - better longevity.

I bought some ProAc Response 2.5s a while ago. ProAc are one of the best dynamic speaker manufacturers, and I have admired them for years as such. However, when you have some MLs in the house (Ascent/Descent), dynamic speakers just don't seem to be able to cut the mustard. In other words, I put the ProAcs on ebay after about a year. They didn't see much use. They were not cheap new - about £2700 at the time ($5400), and they were only part of a 2nd system.

The D28 looks broadly equivalent to the 2.5. In other words, your Summits will simply be IN ANOTHER LEAGUE soundwise. So you will have to balance sound against convenience/practicality.

Justin

Last edited:
abhijit, I don't really understand your post.

You state why you think the D28 is superior in terms of sweet-spot etc, implying you have heard them. Yet you are asking me what the difference between the D28 and Summit is. I can't make sense of that - are you just reading reviews about the D28 or something?

Also - "Another advantage - no active electronics involved in D28 - better longevity" - er, not necessairily. I am sure there are many active speakers that have run for many years.

Anyway, as I said before, if you replace the Summit with the D28s, and the Summits are working properly (they may not be - your 1st post worries me), it is my belief you will be very disappointed. Please do NOT buy them before you hear them - cos I think you will regret it if you do. I know I would.

2.5s where fine in their price range for a dynamic speaker. I expect the D28 is too. But neither is a Summit by a long shot!

Just trying to help - and warn you from doing anything silly!:)

What will take care of the bass issues in your room is some bass traps....

And perhaps some other room treatments, along with careful attention to speaker placement.

Use a ION Purifier

The use of an ION purifier in the same room will greatly reduce your dust problems.The ION purifier will actually draw the dust away from your panels instead of being drawn towards the panels.I questioned Jim Powers about the use of one and he highly recommended it.It and a dehumidfier has made a huge differance in my finished basement.

Hey, Horchem, great post! Now why didn't most of us think of that? Yeah, I know, you all knew anyway:D

Thank you USER

The very nature of the electrostatic speakers forces it to act as a ION purifier which essentially attracts dust and dirt with an electrical charge.In my discussion with Jim Powers,he stated that the Ion Purifier will do this instead of the speaker itself.This is a plus because the Ion purifier will attract dust away from the speakers.Whenever I would turn the speakers on I would have a static sound which means the dust was being attracted to the panels.The Ion purifier has completely gotten rid of that issue.You can usually pick them up for under $100.

abhijit, I don't really understand your post.

You state why you think the D28 is superior in terms of sweet-spot etc, implying you have heard them. Yet you are asking me what the difference between the D28 and Summit is. I can't make sense of that - are you just reading reviews about the D28 or something?

Also - "Another advantage - no active electronics involved in D28 - better longevity" - er, not necessairily. I am sure there are many active speakers that have run for many years.

Anyway, as I said before, if you replace the Summit with the D28s, and the Summits are working properly (they may not be - your 1st post worries me), it is my belief you will be very disappointed. Please do NOT buy them before you hear them - cos I think you will regret it if you do. I know I would.

2.5s where fine in their price range for a dynamic speaker. I expect the D28 is too. But neither is a Summit by a long shot!

Just trying to help - and warn you from doing anything silly!:)

Are you saying that I will regret replacing the Summit which is absolutely in Top Condition!!! I appreciate your concern.

I am saying hear the ProAcs first. If you like them better than the Summit, go for them. I'm 97% sure I wouldn't prefer them, unless there has been a massive change in performance between the 2.5 and D28. So be careful. That's all.

I am saying hear the ProAcs first. If you like them better than the Summit, go for them. I'm 97% sure I wouldn't prefer them, unless there has been a massive change in performance between the 2.5 and D28. So be careful. That's all.
I tried D15 with my setup. They sounded stunning.I cannot audition D28 here in Kuwait. I am relying on a dear friend of mine who has Summit and D28 & D38. He suggested me to go for D28 since he has a similar audio gear and a small room like me. FYI ,I migrated to SL3 FROM B&W 802 Sr 2 13 years back.

Goodbye to Summit

Received my Proac Response D28 straight from the manufacturer - UK yesterday. Installed today after standing the speakers overnite at 16 Degress as recommended by the manufacturer. But jokes apart - there is a Day and Night difference between Summit. I do not know how these speakers can produce this kind of big sound with the small foot print straight out of the box. These speakers requies 1-2 months for burn in. I also instanly compared with my Summit. Proacs are more musical with the entire bandwidth extended no boom, much faster. Magic sound with my Tube gear.In fact, I pulled out all the acoustic treatment stuff and is sounding amazing w/o them. Summit is with me for less than 2 years and have found a good home. It is sold for a very attractive price. Last day of Summit is tomorrow. Anyways, guys thanx for sharing knowledge but will surely be in touch and share my future experinced.

Back