System #255 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirmae

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
System #255 (Summit, Grotto i)

1. Member Name: Dirk Maeyens

2. Location: Aalter, Belgium

3. ML Model(s): Summit, Grotto i

4. Year Purchased: Dec 2016, Nov 2009

5. Mods/Changes: No Modifactions

6. Associated Electronics: (updated Jan 2017)

Turntable 1: VPI TNT Mk VI
Arm: Kuzma 4-Point
Cartridge: Kiseki Purple Heart Sapphire
Turntable 2: VPI TNT Jr
Arm: Kuzma Stogi Reference
Cartridge: Spectral MCR
Phono Preamp 1: Ayre P-5xe
Phono Preamp 2: Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL
CD Player: Rega Apollo
Preamp: Manley Labs Mastering Room Line
Amp: Manley Labs 204/100 Monoblock
Room correction: Lyndorf RP-1
DAC: DDDAC 1794
PC Streaming: dedicated dual PC setup with JPAY
AC Conditioner: Furutech Daytona 300e

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
I first ran across ML when I was about 18. A dealer demoed the CLS's with VTL Ichibans. Since that day I was hooked. But it lasted until 2004 to acquire my my first ML SL3's as second hand speakers.

IMG_0518.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome: Dirk,

Great looking system and setup. Always good to have another vinyl guy around. How do you like the sound of the Electrocompaniet phono stage combined with the tubes in the SF gear? My first forray into tubes was also Sonic Frontiers, I still have a warm spot in my heart for them.

More pictures please, we love them here!

Happy Listening!

Hello MiTT,

I bought the Electrocompaniet in Sept 1995 and it still is in production. I haven't been able to find anything to my liking (and wallet) since, expect for the Manley Steelhead. The Electrocompaniet sounds quite tube like.

At this moment I'm still looking to upgrade this but Sonic Frontiers Phono 1's aren't up for sale that often.

Hi,

Lately I've replaced the aging Spectral MCR reference with a Phase Tech
P-3G.
Luckily I could buy it directly in Japan for about half the price it goes in Europe.

Dirk

Last edited:
I've added a new (better) picture of my system. Also the Electrocompaniet ECP-1 has been replaced with an Ayre P-5Xe.

Attachments

• IMG_0009_1.jpg
    IMG_0009_1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,817
That's a very nice setup you have there. I noticed you added the Ayre P-5xe. How have you liked it so far? I have one on loan for this weekend and will most likely purchase it from my dealer if all goes well. Do you run it balanced or unbalanced? Again, very nice system and a good picture as well.

Glen

Hi Glen,

Thank you for the compliments. I bought the Ayre some 10 months ago and compared it against Audio Research, EAR, etc. To me this one came out on top, because of the "air" in the sound. I'm running it balanced out and still need to find the time to resolder the connections from the TT to balanced.

Just make sure that the unit you're using is well run in, I think that Ayre specifies 500 hours. It really makes a difference.

The circuit board material they're using is not standard FR-4 but something more high-tech, normally used for high-frequency applications (think mobile phone antennas etc.) going well into the GHz range. Apparently this causes the long run in period but well worth it.

Dirk

I decided to add a ML Grotto i into the mix. I really must say that I didn't expect it to have such a major impact. It not only improves the lowest regions but most definitely also the midrange.

very, very happy for the moment.

Dirk

Attachments

• IMG_0033_1.jpg
    IMG_0033_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,463
Last edited:
hi Dirmae - any comments on the SF line 1 that you have? i'm toying with the idea of a line 2 that is for sale near me. i like the SF gear (although it's been 15 years since i looked at it) and the Line 1/2/3 all have a HT bypass which i really want in my new room.

Hey Zaphod,

The unit I'm having is also a line 2. I've been playing with these units for over 5 years now and I bought them used too. What can I say about the unit - seems to me that they were ahead of their time because indeed they do have the HT passthrough, next to full balanced operation. They are build like a tank and do not consume tubes fast. So as you can hear, I really like it. But most important of all, the sound is really great.

If the price is right for the unit on sale, I would say go for it.

Dirk

Hey Zaphod,

The unit I'm having is also a line 2. I've been playing with these units for over 5 years now and I bought them used too. What can I say about the unit - seems to me that they were ahead of their time because indeed they do have the HT passthrough, next to full balanced operation. They are build like a tank and do not consume tubes fast. So as you can hear, I really like it. But most important of all, the sound is really great.

If the price is right for the unit on sale, I would say go for it.

Dirk
thanks for the feedback!

i think that the line2 is probably a good fit - outboard power, but not crazy outboard like the 3 :)

the line2 is going for $1100 cdn - that's about $1000 U$D or 700eu

this means i'll have to sell 3 of my other preamps...

thanks for the feedback!

i think that the line2 is probably a good fit - outboard power, but not crazy outboard like the 3 :)

the line2 is going for $1100 cdn - that's about $1000 U$D or 700eu

this means i'll have to sell 3 of my other preamps...

well, i picked up the line2 last night. what an effortless sounding pre - the music just "there in the air" mighty fine sound.

now onto the selling - anyone wanna buy three used preamps?

Some recent changes in my system. Decided to replace the SF setup with a Manley Labs setup. I found a nice set op 240/100 monoblocks and a Mastering Romm preamp to match them. A R-Cube comes in handy to provide for remote volume control.

BTW - changed the picture of my complete system on the first page too :rocker:

Attachments

• IMG_0950_small.JPG
    IMG_0950_small.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0949_small.jpg
    IMG_0949_small.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 146
It's been a while since my last update. After a short stint with some Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations I'm back to ML with some Summits. I just couldn't get the Parsifal Ovations to "sing" in my room. So when the right pair of second hand Summits popped up, ...

Some other changes too - got the chance of buying a VPI TNT Chassis. After upgrading my Original TNT Jr I still had some parts lying around, enough to construct a second TT, still had that Kuzma Stogi Ref lying around too.

Back