Moderate drinking preserves hearing!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Wow!! Great news to preserve our audiophile hearing :cheers:

Moderate drinking may help protect hearing

ANTWERP, Netherlands, June 11 (UPI) -- Smoking and body mass index are risk factors in the development of age-related hearing loss, but alcohol has a protective effect, Dutch researchers say.
Erik Fransen, part of Guy Van Camp's research team at the University of Antwerp, found that smoking, being overweight and occupational noise are risk factors in the most common type of hearing loss.
However, the study published online in Springer's Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, found moderate alcohol consumption -- at least one drink a week, one glass of wine, spirit or beer -- was seen to have a protective effect. The effect of heavy drinking was not investigated.

This European study of 4,083 people ages 53 to 67 involved nine audiological centers in seven countries. Participants filled out a questionnaire on their exposure to potential environmental risk factors and their medical history. Their hearing was also tested.
"Hearing loss has always been considered an inevitable part of aging, but more and more studies seem to indicate this is not necessarily true," Fransen said in a statement. "Apparently a healthy lifestyle can be beneficial for hearing conservation at higher ages."

My doctor told me that moderate is one bottle of wine in 3 days, so I said to him, "We ARE talking about a 1.5 litre bottle, right?" :D

The look on his face - priceless !

Last edited:
Note, the study said

at least one drink a week...

Maybe a six-pack a day will give you the hearing of bats! :D

OK then, I'm alright. I always have at least one drink a week.

Actually, a few years ago when I went to the doctor for my annual anal probe (that's the only part I remember vividly - I told her if she could find what was left of my dignity up there I'd appreciate getting it back), she told me that you were considered a "heavy" drinker if you had more than two drinks a day.

The wife and I usually enjoy a glass (occasionally two) of wine with dinner. Sometimes, if I'm so inclinded, I have a bit of port or this marvelous digestive from northern Italy called Nochino (Radu turned me on to it and I am forever in his debt - thank you Lugano). On the weekends I'll have beer in the afternoons, a martini or margarita or two, or four later, and maybe some wine with dinner. If I average out my weekly consumption, I qualify as a heavy drinker. I don't feel like I'm a heavy drinker. :mad:

The wife and I usually enjoy a glass (occasionally two) of wine with dinner. Sometimes, if I'm so inclinded, I have a bit of port
I drink only on occasion; name any occasion and I'll drink to it ! :D Seriously, I do enjoy my wine with meals (and it's usually 2 glasses); I don't consider myself a heavy drinker. Tim, funny thing about port is that on it's own I dislike it; but combine it with a piece of blue cheese (well, Roquefort only) and it is heaven. But I don't like Roquefort on its own.

Bernard, I suspect we are kindred spirits and I very much look forward to meeting you one day. I will very soon try your suggestion of port with Roquefort cheese. Thanks!

I must have hearing like a bat. I told my DR that Im a social drinker, The more I drink the more social I get , And I always stop at 2

AM that is !

Bernard, I suspect we are kindred spirits and I very much look forward to meeting you one day. I will very soon try your suggestion of port with Roquefort cheese. Thanks!
Tim, I have long had the same sentiment, and am definitely looking forward to meeting you.

Please post your impressions about port and blue cheese here. One year, at a New Year's Eve dinner party my wife and I hosted, one of our guests showed-up with a 30-year old bottle of port (Barros 1963). With Roquefort it was truly sublime and super-smooth. I subsequently found out that the bottle was worth about $600.

Back