Comcast cable/DVR with front panel USB

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
How many of you have the Comcast Motorola DVR cable box with the USB connection on the front? Has anyone tried to plug an external harddrive or thumbdrive into it to see something on the TV screen? If so how did you access or select the USB thru the DVR menu? Also, if so what type of file did you watch (JPEG, MP3, Video, etc)?

Thanks, Lee

I've got two of them Lee (one on the main floor and one in the loft). I have never tried using the USB port though so I'm no help. Let me know what you find out though because now I'm curious!

Cox Communications has it too but they are not activated to the best of my knowledge.

The front and back USB prots on the Comcast DVR are disabled.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
Seems like a waste to include USB on the box if unable to use.
Mystery solved.

Lee

USB has power

Well, at least the USB port has power going to it. As shown in my member system pics, I use the port for a small snake light in low light conditions for the drawer on my Denon CD player.
Sort of convenient.

Lee

Seems like a waste to include USB on the box if unable to use.

This is common practice for cable boxes though. I've only ever seen one special port that actually worked and that's the Fire Wire port on the back of my Comcast box. I was using it for a while to transfer DVR content to my PC for archiving but its such a labor intensive process (and locks up the cable box frequently) that I haven't done it in a while so who knows, that port may not even work anymore. I've seen post of people on AVS complaining that their carriers have disabled the Fire Wire port on their boxes and if they don't do that they just mark all content with the "No Archive" broadcast flag.

-steve

Back