Should I be worried?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
I have been going through many past posts and it seems that many people are always discussing the importance of changing stators, woofers and/or crossovers and power supplies for their speakers. Mine are newly aquired Quests in mint condition but are from 1993. They have been modified with a power down transformer when not in use.

Everything is original and working perfectly however I get worried about how old they are after reading these posts. Am I taking this too far?

Also, as hard as I have tried, I have never noticed any dust in the holes of my panels. I do vacum once a month but even then, there was no visible dust I could see. When people mention about dust, can you see it or is it more or less invisable to the eye?

I am new to ML after owning some high quality cone speakers in the past but I do not want to go back as the sound is exactly what I am looking for only I realise these speakers have a lot of mechanical needs that cones don't.

Thank you

I am new to ML, but I am sure you are a true music lover like me(hearing it as close to the original format), and the extra care is worth the trade off. I am so new here that I do not even have my ML yet, just heard them once and ordered them,will get them 4th of July. The Spires. Going to use a 2.1 stereo, amp-pre-amp set up. This waiting it driving me batty!lo:music: I do alot of boating in the summer so that helps pass the time. Oh and the yard work!

I have been going through many past posts and it seems that many people are always discussing the importance of changing stators, woofers and/or crossovers and power supplies for their speakers. Mine are newly aquired Quests in mint condition but are from 1993. They have been modified with a power down transformer when not in use.

Everything is original and working perfectly however I get worried about how old they are after reading these posts. Am I taking this too far?

Also, as hard as I have tried, I have never noticed any dust in the holes of my panels. I do vacum once a month but even then, there was no visible dust I could see. When people mention about dust, can you see it or is it more or less invisable to the eye?

I am new to ML after owning some high quality cone speakers in the past but I do not want to go back as the sound is exactly what I am looking for only I realise these speakers have a lot of mechanical needs that cones don't.

Thank you

The panels are the same as with all things...they age and will eventually need to be replaced, but the timeframe within which that occurs is affected by many factors...amount of usage (and level of usage), humidity, care, sunlight, etc. I would venture to say that you still have a number of years left in the panels...and there's really no reason to worry about it now. Would be like worrying about problems your car isn't yet having just because it is 10 years old. If well taken care of and low mileage, you likely have little to worry about. So, my advice is just to enjoy them, and if the time comes that there is an issue...at least there's a straightforward way to deal with the issue because of ML's great customer service/product support.

Will these parts always be available in the future?

I'm not sure what the official company line is, but I believe so. You could e-mail Jim Powers at ML for confirmation. Worst case, if in a few years they decided they'd do away with replacement panels for certain models, you could order replacement panels then, and be set on panels for another 15+ years! I don't anticipate that being necessary though.

I'm not sure what the official company line is, but I believe so. You could e-mail Jim Powers at ML for confirmation. Worst case, if in a few years they decided they'd do away with replacement panels for certain models, you could order replacement panels then, and be set on panels for another 15+ years! I don't anticipate that being necessary though.

As for panels being availabe. I have been dealing with Martin Logan service for over 2 months. I was going to order replacement panels and stick them away till I need them. I was told by many people there at ML not to worry, they still keep a supply even for panel is the 30 year range and other parts needed to repair such an old unit. I received this info from Parts manager, service techs, parts mangers and higher up. So no need to panic yet, ML is not one of those companies that makes a product and then doesnt offer parts for repairs like Vizzio and others... Enjoy...

First off, ML doesn't keep a supply of panels lying around for old speakers... If you need new panels, they have the jigs, plans, etc. to MAKE brand new ones for you, no matter how old your speakers are. While we toured the plant at last summer's get together, we saw reQuest panels being made for a customer who ordered them. As far as I know they have NEVER stopped support on any of their loudspeaker models... going all the way back to the Monolith & CLS.....

Chances are that if you order new panels, they will be BETTER than the ones that came on your speakers, because of new technology, materials and of course knowledge they've learned over the years.

and also, ML's customer support is LEGENDARY, so don't sweat it - they'll take good care of you!

Last edited:
Chances are that if you order new panels, they will be BETTER than the ones that came on your speakers, because of new technology, materials and of course knowledge they've learned over the years.
I just re-paneled my 1990 Sequel II's and they sound great!!!

The panels were very easy to replace.

I wouldn't worry too much. I live in Australia which is a long way from Martin Logan and had no trouble getting a panel replacement. It was quick and easy, and was cheap when you consider that you get virtually a new speaker.

Not only does ML make brand new replacement panels to every speaker they have ever made (as already stated), but your concern that ML speakers are have more mechanical needs than conventional cone owners is actually not completely true.

While there are different needs of electrostatic panels, electrostatic panels are much more simplistic in nature than the conventional woofer, and also much more reliable. A conventional woofer has several more moving parts than an electrostatic panel, and will actually blow long before an esl panel will...

Thank you all for such great answers to my questions. I am aware of the exceptional service ML offers as I have written on occasion to Jim about other questions and have received an answer within a few hours which in my opinion is incredible.

I should maybe re-word my initial question by saying that I am not necesarily worried but I plan on keeping these speakers forever (I guess) as they are amazing. I have heard the Summit recently and to my opinion, the Quest's were very close..........REALLY close! Only in the bass was the Summit a true winner but even here it was still maybe 10%. I also like the look and size with the wood sides and incredible imaging and soundstage.

I live in Canada (Quebec) and was wondering how much it has cost a few of you to order the new panels and did you go through a dealer or directly with ML?

Once again, thank you all. :bowdown:

Back