Musical Fidelity TriVista21 Vs. Benchmark DAC1 Shootout

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamo

Reaction score
This weekend I have the house to myself as my wife is going to be with her family in MD. I'm taking the opportunity to sit in my theater all weekend and see which one of these will retain the DAC spot in my rack. I received the Benchmark DAC1 today from Benchmark Media and my first impressions upon opening the box was...."damn this thing is small!" Next to my TriVista, This thing looks miniscule...not worthy even. It's certainly a misfit in my rack. But it's not about looks, it's about Tube Vs. SS, high end Vs. Affordable, and the bottom line; which sounds better in my room. I will post pictures this weekend and edit this post, then will update you all on my impressions. I'm actually listening to it right now but don't want to give any feedback on a DAC with 3hrs run time on it. I'm going to have it on and playing for the next 48 hrs and then will do the comparison. This thing does sound very good out of the box though. Not like My MF did waiting for the tubes to break in and the constant turning on the DAC 25 min before I listen to any music. The Benchmark wins already in that regard. Turn on, press play...rock on.:rocker: Any enthusiasts in the area are more than welcome to drop by...I'll be down there all weekend =)

I'm standing by waiting to hear how your comparo matches up against my own. I'm curious to know what ICs you are using between the DACs and your preamp. I've found that different ICs have a profound effect on the sound of DAC 1. it's so good that it's output can be masked by the weaknesses and nuances of whatever ICs you use to feed it's ouput from. The MF's output does not seem so dramatically effected since under the best of circumtances it's output isn't as grain-free as the DAC1's. Since the DAC1 is a professional grade device it seems to do it's best with 100% balanced connections. From your system photos it appears that your ICs are single ended Audioquests or the likes.

PS there are EIC rack adapters available that wil make your DAC 1 installation look more like a 19" audio component.

Last edited:
I *LOVE* IT WHEN MY WIFE GOES AWAY AND I CAN LISTEN ALL WEEKEND!!

ENJOY THE DAC1.

I've had no time to enjoy my X-DAC v3 since I got it two weeks ago since we've had two lots of international visitors and now I'm in Sydney for work all week.

I can't see much time coming in the next week either. Hopefully soon - I want to compare it to the analogue outs from my Marantz SACD player!

DJ, they will be fed, as you have already discerned, by audioquest king cobra ICs. From a distance of less than 3 ft, the balanced isn't really going to help me out except in the realm of a bit lower db start point. Changing ICs now is not smart for me as I am used to the sound as is. I know you are an advocate for the Benchmark, and with good reason. I've read countless positive reviews of the product and between them and your post, I decided to give it a try. I'm going to be completely objective in the comparison, as I don't have an attachment to the MF DAC. Hell, I actually find myself wondering if my old MF A3.24 was the better DAC even though it was older. Keep in mind ANY time I mention better or worse, it's only in my room and to my ears, not anyone elses. We all know the MF TriVista is the "better" DAC as far as MSRP and on paper, but that means little in the real world and in my room with my specific configuration of ICs, power cords, surrounding components. But the Benchmark is only 1,000 shipped to your door. If it can't perform with 250 dollar ICs and a 275 dollar Digi Coax, it's mismatched in my book. if you have to jump to 1000 ICs to appreciate the DAC, that 1,000 price tag becomes deceiving. Please don't let me create a debate about cables here. The objective is for me to compare the two DACs in my listening evironment with my current set up. whichever performs better stays and I start comparing better sources. I may be looking into Kimber ICs soon, but for now, this is what I have.
On a different note, the rack ears are a great idea as this guy looks so tiny in the rack right now. I'll post pics this weekend and you'll see what I mean =)
Adam

Last edited:
Not trying to create a debate about cables, just pointing out the potential weaknesses in your protocal. Perhaps you have missed my point. The DAC1 doesn't need expensive ICs to sound good, however without better ICs than the Audioquest KCs(regardless of cost) you will never take the Benchmark to it's limits. Your KCs are copper "middle of the road" performance wise (I know this cable well because I own a pair that I have religated to the task of connecting my inexpensive phono preamp with the control preamp) and are a good match for the MF because their high frequency roll off masks some of the drawbacks of the TriVista DAC, mostly it's grainy high frequencies. My point is that you will never really realize how much better the DAC1 is until you team it up with gear (including analog side ICs) that are on it's quality level, not it's price level.

OBTW, the DAC 1 will perform equally with a $50 digital coax as it will with your $275. The Benchmark jitter elimination/reclocking functions obviate the need for costly digital connections to reduce jitter. I have my DAC being fed by a $35 digital cable by AR. I've tested with a $6 Radio Shack cable and a $750 Nordost dig cable and a $1000+ Synergistic Research dig cable...all with EQUAL results.

I guess what bothers me is that you seem to be focusing on the fact that the DAC1 is "only" $1000, and keep referring to the MF as the "high end" because it's more expensive. It appears to me you have the notion that high end is defined by price and not performance, (although I see your attitude towards that may be changing). You appear to define the balance of a system by price interrelationships, not performance parity. I choose to define a piece of equipment's position in the industry by it's performance. I team my DAC 1 up with $800 ICs and a $6000 preamp because it's Performance is such that that is where the balance is. When teamed with the same ICs and preamp the MF sounded inadequite because it wasn't up to par performance wise with the system,whereas the lower priced, lesser known Benchmarlk is.

Is so called "high end" a function of price or performance? Now that would be an interesting debate.

Last edited:
Here we go!

Ok, I've had some time listening to the Benchmark and TriVista side by side and am ready with my first round impressions and notes. Of course, all that follows are perceptions that I hear/feel/express in my room with my components. Your results may vary. So, without further ado, here is where we stand after day 1

Comparo Round 1:

As I stated earlier, at a tiny 9 in long by 9 or so deep, the Benchmark DAC1 isn’t going to win over any audiophile’s heart on looks alone. My TriVista looks like Godzilla and the Benchmark looks like an iguana in comparison. The good news…it fits ANYWHERE. There isn’t a place or a rack this won’t squeeze into. Also, All of my LED lighting is a Deep blue – from the Blue “M” logos on the Odysseys to the Velo Sub, and all of my components. The Benchmark fits right in on that note. But since my rack is pretty full, the HD-DVD player had to get the boot in order to do the A/B comparisons (that’s what it gets for losing the format war and making me have a useless player). I have two digi coax cables. One, the VDM-5 is Silver. The other, a VDM-1, is copper. Suspecting that the sole silver cable in my line up is bringing an unwanted brightness to my otherwise super sweet sounding Classe’s, I will use both to see if there are noticeable changes. I will play three songs – each played 8 times. Four times for each DAC. Two with Silver, two with Copper. My review is really just my notes taken during listening with maybe tiding the sentence fragments up a bit.

Using the VDM1 with the Benchmark:

The Peter Malick Group featuring Nora Jones Track2 Strange Transmissions:
Cymbals sound natural and are prominent as if the drummer is striking the hi hat here in the room with me. Nora’s voice is a bit too full if not a bit boomy, Bass drum is full but maybe a tad uncontrolled. The rest of the percussion is to die for. Soundstage is as wide as the speakers in the front, but arcs out with good depth ranging from behind the speakers to behind me for the piano. Good separation of instruments without losing composure. Everything stayed where it should during the entire song.

Nora Jones: come away with me Hybrid SACD Track3: cold cold heart:
Overall Nora’s voice came through very nicely without any harshness, nor too full and boomy. Piano sounded very natural and detailed and again the benchmark did not disappoint in clearly discerning where each instrument was playing from. Soundstage was larger than previous CD, and this may be because this cd has superior mastering.

Nora Jones: come away with me Hybrid SACD Track4: Feelin the same way:: This track can easily become overwhelming with my denon on it’s own. The electronic instruments bloom too much, and the fretwork on the guitars that should come through very nice and clear from the left and right speakers sound blurred a bit. The Benchmark was very good at presenting a consistent soundstage regardless of pace. Her voice again may have been a tad boomy and resonant in the mid range, but never too sharp in the high frequencies.

Replacing the VDM-1 with the VDM5 and repeating same tracks:
Definitely more detail shows through
The piano sounded less natural and more pronounced. This cable widens the soundstage but I feel like the sound is more forward and more analytical than the VDM1. The 1 sounds more intimate and more tube like where the midrange is a bit more laid back and sweeter. I think the VDM5 is more transparent and colors the sound less allowing the Benchmark to sound more forward and less colored like Solid state should. The VDM5 also made it feel like I had turned the volume up higher.

Musical Fidelity TriVista21 using the VDM-5

The Peter Malick Group featuring Nora Jones Track2 Strange Transmissions:
Definitely more engaging than the Benchmark here. I find myself moving with the music more with the tube DAC than the SS. Nora’s voice is more natural and real. But it’s obvious the DAC is adding that sweetness everyone speaks of with tubes. The benchmark doesn’t paint the musical picture like the TriVista does. The Benchmark provides a clear window to view the music through, if not a bit dull. It is very composed and even tempered. The TriVista is more alive and engaging, but adds something to the music that wasn’t there before. I felt that I lacked a bit of the separation when compared with the Benchmark. The details were all there, but some were more pronounced than others. The Benchmark seemed to even everything out so that your attention wasn’t completely drawn to one specific instrument.

Nora Jones: come away with me Hybrid SACD Track3: cold cold heart: Voice is so natural and feels like she’s in the room. Piano sounds very full bodied but completely composed and the soundstage is very large. Not one harsh note where the Benchmark fumbled a bit here with the silver cable. The decay of the piano notes are more natural and real sounding to me. I had to resist the urge to turn up the volume and remind myself of the reference level I was comparing these songs at. I would definitely give the nod to the TriVista on this track. It was much more involving.

Nora Jones: come away with me Hybrid SACD Track4: Feelin the same way:
With the VDM5, the TriVista sounded excellent. Fast paced and large soundstage. Vocals sounded liquid smooth like she was in the room.
Again it was more engaging, but I couldn’t help feeling that I may have lacked a bit of the separation that the Benchmark provided.

Using the VDM-1 with the TriVista repeating same tracks above:
Switching to the VDM1 with the TriVista revealed mixed emotions. I liked Nora’s voice a bit better with the 1, but it brought the instruments too far forward and in my face. I didn’t like the more forward presentation with the TriVista. I liked the more intimate playback received by the VDM5. I was actually surprised I liked the 5 better than the 1 in this respect. But cymbals sounded better on the 1 than the 5. I believe this may have actually been because of the more pronounced and forward presentation of the music.

In Summary based on initial impressions:
The Benchmark may be good for extensive long listening sessions if you listen at higher volumes. It seems to be very consistent regardless of pace with regard to instrument separation and has great composure. It never misses a beat or muddies up the instrumentals. But there are downsides too. It’s not nearly as engaging as the TriVista is; that is, I found myself getting more involved with the music listening through the TriVista. It has the ability to make vocals sound more lifelike and real, as if the artist is in the room with you.
The Benchmark is amazing with Snare drums and the closest to perfect I’ve heard in my system with cymbals. I kept wanting to rewind tracks to the cymbals and high hats because they were so natural. This DAC is way beyond it’s price point here. I have always liked how the TriVista sounded with cymbals, but the Benchmark does it better.
The Trivista has a wider and deeper soundstage. I felt that “wall of music” experience with the TriVista. The Benchmark was a bit more constrained here.
The Benchmark also performed it’s best with the VDM-1 and not the more expensive silver VDM-5. I enjoyed listening with the “1” a lot more. If I were to keep the Benchmark, I’d hook it up to a copper cable in my system. Silver didn’t seem to bring out it’s strong suits to me. In fact, I like the Benchmark with the VDM-1 so much that I’m not ready to give it up just yet. It’s not exciting to listen to like the MF DAC is, but it does such a great job with separation of instruments and the natural sound presentation that it’s hard not to like. I would want to find a way to make Nora’s voice a bit more like the TriVista maybe through trying different brands of cables, but that coupled with a smaller soundstage is really all I have to gripe about, if anything at all. They are both great in my book. I will do more testing with more dynamic material tomorrow. :music:

I thought I throw in my 10 cents worth - I use a Tri-Vista SACD player. It's a great player and I have been happy with it for a long time now. Your 21 is the DAC from my player, so it SHOULD sound very close to it i.e. very good indeed;)

Justin

You are certainly going about your auditioning in the best way possible. Looking forward to your next days' thoughts...

Keep up the good work.

~VDR

Back