Martin Logan ESL series speakers and Dust??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
well after listening to the ESL series speakers I am getting a pair of Spires. I will be getting them in about two weeks. After reading the intruction manual they come with a dust cover. I do live in an area that is very dusty, just wondering what dust has to do with this type of speaker that it is best to keep them covered when not in use? Covering them is not a problem but just wondering why? Oh will be getting the Depthi sub-woofer as well.

Dust is the enemy of every speaker! But ESL love and attract dust as they are charged panels and the least amount you allow them to come into contact with the better. Newer technologies like power sensing esl panels that shut down the power to the panel has really helped. Also the newer coatings that ML uses are far better than before!

Thanks for the quick reply! I recall after 3 or 4 years with my TV, I had a technician come out to replace my tubes and clean the lens, what ever it is called and after he was through, look like I just bought a new TV.

I cover my vista/motif panels when not in use. I believe if you take better care upfront, you will get more good years out of the panels.

Last edited:
Dust (and any air pollutant) is the enemy of ES panels. It attaches itself to the membrane and reduces its ability to respond to the music.

I cover mine when not in use for extended periods. Say, during the week, but leave them uncovered on weekends.

Dust and panels

I have and always used an air purifier in the same room as my speakers.I e-mailed Jim Power and he recommended an Ion air purifier.He stated that the speakers tend to act like an electrostatic air cleaner,for which they were not designed.If you have an Ion air purifier,it will do the work for the speakers....thus allowing them to pursue the job of making sound.It is a good thing.I still have his e-mail,:music:if interested.

Horchem, Yes I would like very much to have the e-mail address for Jim Power and check out this Ion Air Purifier. I feel it is a good help issue to have as well. Thanks alot for all the informative info!!;) Bob

Also don't forget to unplug the Spires and vacuum them every month, this should keep any problems at bay. If the area is really dusty maybe more often.

Jim Powers e-mail

His e-mail is [email protected] can just buy any Ion air purifier.I currently use one made by Hunter.Send me your e-mail and I will send you a copy of his e-mail.:music:

Every quarter or so I start to notice a hissing sound from my speakers and that means I have let them get to dusty...AGAIN! Then I vacuum them all really well (all freaking SEVEN of them!) and it is STUNNING the difference that it makes!

They always sound AWESOME, but after a good cleaning they are CRYSTAL CLEAR again!

I know we mention this always, but again "what is the best length of time to unplug before vacuuming Vantages?"
I use my speakers daily and cant go too long without them!

Lee

I know we mention this always, but again "what is the best length of time to unplug before vacuuming Vantages?"
I use my speakers daily and cant go too long without them!

Lee

Lee, I usually unplug mine the night before I plan to vacuum them, wake up in the morning, sweep 'em down and then plug them back in and start listening to music again.

Yep, overnight works best.

I think you can also forcefully discharge them by unplugging them while they're playing. You'll notice the panels will play for about 15 minutes before discharging.

Dust cover for ML. ESL

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but I saw some concerns for getting dust on Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. I came out with the solution which works for me and I would like to share with you. I went to Walmart to women’s department and start looking for black leggings. Beside that I looked stupid, browsing through the stockings and pantyhose but I didn't care. I found 4X plus size footless Comfort Top Leggings, brand - JMS “Just My Size” in black. They cost only $6.
I went home to try, not on me but on my Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers. 😊
I was so happy they fit perfectly, I just had to separate them by cutting right below the crotch, to my surprise the cut did not fringed just slightly rolled, creating nice finish. I know many people are talking about some kind of dust protection for electrostatic diaphragm film in the speakers and this idea works, because they are very thin and elastic, I didn't notice any loss of the quality in the reproduction of sound. I hope I could help many people who would like to protect their expensive wonderful speakers to enjoy them even longer. Who ever have speakers with narrow panel like 9.5”-10” it will works.
I will include few pictures of my speakers with the leggings on, in my opinion they look very “elegant” and sound awesome.

Attachments

• Combine.jpg
    Combine.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 878
you sexy devil you, how about a pair of matching garters !

seriously though, dust will still find it's way so don't forget to vacuum ……….

you sexy devil you, how about a pair of matching garters !

seriously though, dust will still find it's way so don't forget to vacuum ……….

You are right Dave, vacuuming it’s always right thing to do, but that I think will reduce somewhat collecting the dust and protect a little from other elements.

Jan

You are right Dave, vacuuming it’s always right thing to do, but that I think will reduce somewhat collecting the dust and protect a little from other elements.

Jan

agreed, understood …...

Back