Help a Logan-ite!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
Hehe I need some help from you. :bowdown:

My sister knows that I am "the music" guy she can turn to, and for her upcoming birthday she asked me for albums of "lounge style" music. I think she would be looking at Bossa Nova styled jazz or something along those lines.

Her exact example was "The Girl from Ipanema", I take this to mean she is looking for "cool" low tempo songs from the 50's and 60's.

Can anyone recommend some compilations that fit my weak descriptions?!

Thank you in advance!

Try Susan Wong "Just a little Bossa Nova" This is a great CD and my Wife loves it. You can find it on ebay or Amazon.

01. The Look of Love
02. Girl from Ipanema
03. Emotion
04. A I Love Her
05. Somewhere Beyond the Sea
06. All the Way
07. The Shadow of Your Smile
08. Just the Way You Are
09. Imagine
10. Desafinado
11. Get Here
12. If
13. Kissing a Fool

Attachments

• folder1_orig.jpg
    folder1_orig.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 131
The most obvious recommendation is the classic Getz/Gilberto "Girl from Ipanema". Just search "Getz" on Amazon.

Attachments

• getz.jpg
    getz.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
There is also "Blue Bossa" by Ana Caram.

Attachments

• caram.jpg
    caram.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 120
"Entre Amigos" by Rosa Passos and Ron Carter.

Attachments

• passos.jpg
    passos.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 119
Seems this retro jazz style is making a come back !

Seems this retro jazz style is making a come back !
Actually it never went away....for me, anyway. I have always enjoyed Brazilian jazz.

I think it would be interesting to start a thread where people post their musical likes and dislikes, in broad categories.

Last edited:
Beat_Dominator,

I started a thread on this type of music "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" in the Off Topic category and got some helpful feedback.

Some great party mixes include releases from "Rhino" records. The whole "****tail Mix" series. You can buy them from Amazon. Capital Records has the "Ultra Lounge" series. These are various artists compilation CD's and there is a wealth of hidden gems in these CD's.

For background lounge music that is really cool try some Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman and Les Baxter.

I ordered several albums from the artists I heard on the Ultra Lounge series and some should be here tomorrow... Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Connie Francis and a few others...

Dig that crazy beat, Daddy-o :)
Satch

Satch, as you are a bass player I think you would like the Rosa Passos/Ron Carter album (he plays bass).

Bernard,

I have my upright bass set up in my living room / music room and have a blast playing along and learning songs. I'll see if I can find a copy of the Rosa Passos / Ron Carter LP.

Satch

Among those mentioned above already, I rather like Jacintha's "Girl from Bossa Nova". It's available on CD, XRCD, SACD and Vinyl.

Attachments

• JacinthaBossa.jpg
    JacinthaBossa.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 88
Try Susan Wong "Just a little Bossa Nova" This is a great CD and my Wife loves it. You can find it on ebay or Amazon.

01. The Look of Love
02. Girl from Ipanema
03. Emotion
04. A I Love Her
05. Somewhere Beyond the Sea
06. All the Way
07. The Shadow of Your Smile
08. Just the Way You Are
09. Imagine
10. Desafinado
11. Get Here
12. If
13. Kissing a Fool

I've heard some stuff by Susan Wong at RMAF last year, but don't have any of her stuff. She sounded great! I'd buy this one just to stare at the cover!!!:wow:

Among those mentioned above already, I rather like Jacintha's "Girl from Bossa Nova". It's available on CD, XRCD, SACD and Vinyl.
Tim, I agree that it's a nice album (great recording too), except when she attempts to sing in Portuguese - her pronunciation is terrible.

Wow great recommendations! There is plenty here to get her started!

I knew I could count on this forum :)

If it's lounge-core you're lookin' for . . .

. . . you'll need some cheese :devil:

Richard Cheese :rocker:

Spice up the party with new renditions of your '80's/'90's faves including Only Happy When It Rains and Hungry Like The Wolf. His cover of She Hates Me would probably fit right in if the lyrics weren't so coarse.

Back