Power Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I am about ready to order materials for new PC's. I am a bit puzzled though.
For my amps and conditioners I need 20amp IEC connections on the equipment side.

The Oyaide C-246 will be my choice for that but Oyaide does not make 20amp male plugs just 15 amp. Or is they do I have not found them in that metal combination.

I have seen many people using the 15amp PO-46 with the 20 amp C-246 IEC. I understand you can plug a 15 amp plug into a 20 amp receptecal with no problem but am I once again missing something with this combination?

15 and 20 amp plugs are rated differently for a reason, right?

15 and 20 amp plugs are rated differently for a reason, right?

Brad, yes that is correct, just like guage thickness of wire, the increased capability to handle more current for what demands such at the other end.

Now, what amps do you have that require 20 amp plugs ? Also, I trust you have the complete circuit from breaker to outlet rated @ 20 amps, otherwise your efforts are for naught.

I have ARC VTM 200's and Shunyata Hydra's that have 20 amp IEC connections.
I installed 3 dedicated runs of #10 wire each on a 20 amp breaker...Over kill yes but is was only a 30' run from the breaker panel and the cost difference was minimal (besides you never know when you might want to weld something in the TV room).

The VTM 200's draw a max of a bit over 6 amps (850 watts) each and the ARC manual requests they be plugged into a 20 amp outlet. There is no doubt in my mind that this is way more than needed.

In reference to my original question I guess I should have asked whether it will matter if I use the Oyaide P046 15 amp male plug on one end and a 20amp IEC plug on the other to feed power protection that will not be drawing more than 12 amps max at one time? At least right know.

Maybe its time to send a message to the manufacturer and ask why no 20 amp male plugs?

The VTM 200's draw a max of a bit over 6 amps (850 watts) each and the ARC manual requests they be plugged into a 20 amp outlet. There is no doubt in my mind that this is way more than needed.

Brad, Does the manual say...20 amp outlet or 20 amp circuit ?? the latter would imply that both monoblocks would then 'safe' on the same "circuit".

Dave, I am not near the manual right now but when I first installed them I remember putting them on their own circuit assuming that is what they suggested. The do have 20amp male plugs on the original cords so they would have to be plugged into a 20 amp receptacle but that does not clearly mean it needs to be on a dedicated circuit. I will check this weekend when I am home.
Since I have the circuit available I will still use it for the amps only.

While on the power subject another question. I have read different suggestions in relations to breaker location in the power panel.

Some have said to be sure that all of the circuits you use (assuming 120v) for your equipment have the breaker on the same side of the panel so the power is all coming from the same leg of the power grid.

Others have said to be sure that your digital equipment uses the opposite leg of the power grid in your breaker panel.

My untrained mind thought it might make sense but I can convince myself either way might be the way to go with 2 different legs of alternating current.

Hopefully some of you EE's will give some opinions

While on the power subject another question. I have read different suggestions in relations to breaker location in the power panel.

Some have said to be sure that all of the circuits you use (assuming 120v) for your equipment have the breaker on the same side of the panel so the power is all coming from the same leg of the power grid.

Others have said to be sure that your digital equipment uses the opposite leg of the power grid in your breaker panel.

Brad, A friend of mine (EE with our local power company PECO) has told me this as well. Also recomends audio circuit breakers to be at the begining of the leg.

Brad, I can't recall for sure, I'll ask him next time I see him, but one other thing I do remember him telling me, try not to put audio circuit breakers next to GFI breakers. Supposedly as they age they tend to become noisy ??

More confused than ever

I started looking at manufactured cables that are called 20 amp power cords and have a 20amp IEC female plug. The majority of the cords I found had a 15amp male plug on the other end. What is the point of having a combination that have contrary power rating to each other.

I also looked at the male ends for my power amps and Hydra that need a 20amp IEC plug and the all have a 15amp plugs.

I will call Audio Research and Shunyata on Monday to ask the obvious question.

Does anyone here have 20 amp cords that have a 15 amp plugs on them?

Can anyone enlighten me on this puzzling matter.

Dave, In reference to what ARC manual said, it reads:

"The AC power source for the VTM200 amplifier should be capable of supplying 10 amperes for 100 or 120 volt units.

For the very best performance on domestic 100 or 120 volt circuits, the VTM200 should be connected to its own AC power circuit branch, protected by a 15 amp (or greater) breaker, or by connecting a pair of VTM200's to a single 20 amp breaker if two separate 15 amp breakers aren't available. The preamplifier and other audio equipment should be connected to a different power circuit and breaker."

I was able to find an opinion that the 20 amp IEC connector has blades twice the size of a standard 10 amp IEC receptacle making current flow better.

I don't know, but it makes sense I guess. So the 15 amp male plugs would be alright as long as you are using it on something that draws less than 15 amps to leave room for peak draw.

So what does that say for power conditioners and protection units that say they output a full 20 amps. You would not want to use a 15 amp male plug on that even though you see pictures of units that have just that.

I guess I will dig a bit deeper.

Back