New owner of Quests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
Well, I did not have my Aerius's very long (4 months) and now got a great deal on mint Quests 1992 from a friend that upgraded to Summits. They are in pristine condition with no blemishes or scratches anywhere. The panels are 4 years old so no problem there.

Ended up only paying 600$ difference after selling the others! The bass is much better and the whole sound overall is upgraded.

Anything I should know about these speakers from owners? I am getting them Thursday night and any advice would be appreciated. By the way they are 1992 and have been modified by the local dealer to actively switch on with music sensing power supply.

OK as a former owner of them. I have some knowledge first hand! ;) Dont be afraid to play with the tilt forward, even if you have to use weights to secure them. They love a big amp with gobs of current.

Here is a thread how I modded mine to sound even better.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=a+quest+to+be+different
There are endless amounts to tweak with them as they can be bi amped with the internal pasive x -over with the built in switch. They can be made to actively crossover with a separate Krell KBX or a Bryston 10 b by swapping 3 wire positions on the board.

Lowering the panels and opening up the bass sections was amazing to say the least. It made them sound so much better. It is not a mod for the weak minded.

I have sold and installed several Quest speakers (way back when I was selling gear in the early/mid 90's), but have never had to live with them in my home. That being said, the most important thing with Logans having such large panels is to give them a$$-loads of space to the rear and sides. Use plants/tapestries/diffuser panels to scatter the rear wave if possible.

But above all is the breathing room. These speakers will sound wicked when setup thoughtfully. Quests can rock and sound good damn near anywhere, even if jammed into corners -- but to do that would be a shame.

Feed them good music through heavy-lift-capable amps, and you'll be a happy camper !!

~VDR

Last edited:
Quests can rock and sound good damn near anywhere, even if jammed into corners -- but to do that would be a shame.

This is what I LOVE most about ML speakers--even when they are set up incorrectly, they sound better than 95% of the speakers in their price range. But when you get them dialed in, they are simply beyond compare...

--Richard

Good luck with your quests! I currently own a pair, bought them last year used with new panels and original drivers and X-overs. They sound great with my parasound halo A-21 amp. They would sound better with the pass x-250, but thats out of my budget.

Well, after a few hours of listening when I got my Quests home, I can say that I am amazed! What a difference compared to my Aerius' and I thought they were something.

The bass is so tight and firm and ample! No sub needed in my listening room anymore! I was a little worried about putting such a beast into a 16 by 22 room but after a couple of tweeks, sounded like the band was in front of me! Of course I will play around with placement and acoustical materials in back of the walls as I did notice a little more echo than before but that can be easily fixed.

Can someone comment on how to keep the black parts clean as I did notice the finish is sort of "rubbery" to the touch. Do you just use a damp cloth or is there something else that will bring out the rich look? By the way, they are mint with "0" marks anywhere.

Well, after a few hours of listening when I got my Quests home, I can say that I am amazed! What a difference compared to my Aerius' and I thought they were something.

The bass is so tight and firm and ample! No sub needed in my listening room anymore! I was a little worried about putting such a beast into a 16 by 22 room but after a couple of tweeks, sounded like the band was in front of me! Of course I will play around with placement and acoustical materials in back of the walls as I did notice a little more echo than before but that can be easily fixed.

Can someone comment on how to keep the black parts clean as I did notice the finish is sort of "rubbery" to the touch. Do you just use a damp cloth or is there something else that will bring out the rich look? By the way, they are mint with "0" marks anywhere.

I have the same problem with my quests, so I keep the lights dim;)

Quest Black paint

I have read many posts about this "rubbery" black paint. Anything from it being toxic to just use car dash shine on them. I called ML and asked and they said it wasn't toxic to touch as much as the fumes so they quit using it. They recommended a treatment that I have the name of at work. I will post it Monday. Mine is actually kinda tacky as the paint is breaking down slightly.....

As for the rubbery, sticky feel....

I have heard of people wiping them down with alcohol swaps ( ie: paper towels damp with witch hazel) to eliminate this phenomena. If you try it, the risk is totally on you, as I have no freakin' idea if it'll work.

Guinea pig this if you dare....

~VDR

90% rubbing alcohol will smooth the finish out! It cleans them but nothing takes the tackiness away totally unless you re paint the frames as I did !

Back