I need someone too set me straight...LOL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyG

Reaction score
I was emailing Jim at ML about the power transformers in my sequel II's. He mentioned that they were 70:1.... SET UP TRANSFORMER... I hate to sound dumb, but most audio trans are set down. If this is true who in north america makes an audio 70:1 step up trans????

Yours truely,
Bewildered and confused... (LMAO)

These Trans Are Huuuuuge!!!!

I was check out the spec sheet for the transformers - 5.5" wide and 2.5" high.
They also weigh 6lbs 10 oz - WOW....

ANy ideas where I could mount the suckers?

I was check out the spec sheet for the transformers - 5.5" wide and 2.5" high.
They also weigh 6lbs 10 oz - WOW....

ANy ideas where I could mount the suckers?

i had plitron supply me with 110v balanced 1:1 transformers. 3" high and 8.5" wide. weigh in about 35lbs. i mounted them on a concrete floor :)

and i'm not expecting a Christmas card from my UPS dude...

Been thinkin....

If I was to drill a hole through the metal and grommet the opening. I could mount the transformer on the top side of the amplifier box. What do you guys think..any problems that you guys see?

If I was to drill a hole through the metal and grommet the opening. I could mount the transformer on the top side of the amplifier box. What do you guys think..any problems that you guys see?
The transformer could vibrate, and all that unsupported metal on the top of the amplifier box would make it worse.

Hi Kenny, You might want to consider obtaining a pair of DIY ‘amplifier’ boxes of appropriate size to re-host the electronics from the sequel as well as the Plitron transformer. This would give you the added benefit of an additional panel cell (the lowest three inches or so) not having an obstruction just behind it.

The leads from the step up to the panel could be handled though a well polarized (I.e. very directional) wiring loom (car audio guys have all kinds of DIY things for this). But having high voltages run through an external connector and wring scheme is something to think twice about if you have small kids or cats.
You can always screw it vertically onto the back of the speaker to ensure it stays with. And you could then also route the high voltage harness through the woofer box (just pop the woofer out and drill through the back then the front of the speaker to guide the leads through).

Me, I’m nuking the crossover board, so I’ll have room in my Sequel boxes for the Plitron :cool:

Step Up transformers

The Step Up transformers take the Audio Signal and step it up in voltage. A 70:1 would take a 10V signal and step it up to 700 Volts. This stepped up AC Audio voltage is then applied to the stators of the panel.

Step Up tranformers are NOT on the bias supply. The Bias supply is typically around 2,500 Volts DC. the positive side of the bias is applied to the membrane.

If you need step up transformers, one source you can go to is http://www.eslrepair.com (no affiliation other than as a past customer). They have 100:1, which should be sufficient for about $100 each. Step up transformers do not need to weigh a lot to be good. However, You might want to still try Jim at ML if you have ML speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!

That has given me some options....still open to suggestions....

I kinda like the idea of going in through the woofer box...that sucker bolted to the box just might do the trick...

Hmmmmmmm... need to sleep on this...... :)

Back