No Martin Logan at the RMAF?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ML??

Kind of ironic how there is no ML for the upcoming ML National Meet 2008 at RMAF...

they usually don't attend...say that it's not worthwhile....

That's good news for thier competitors. I'm going and I'm looking forward to it. I'd like to see ML there but if they don't want to play then I'll have to find someone else to dance with at the show.

No ML??

Kind of ironic how there is no ML for the upcoming ML National Meet 2008 at RMAF...

Joey, with a Grand Total of "9" members on the docket for dinner Sat evening of the RMAF, there is little or no intrest in MLO activities this year.

The main reason ML and a lot of mfrs are starting to pass on the RMAF is because it has such a small attendance.

Last year, RMAF had about 2200 attendees. About 6-700 of that group were associated industry people. Subtract another 4-500 people in the group that are hardcore DIY people that never buy anything and out of the thousand that are left, at least half of those are the same audio club members that go to these shows as a social event and really aren't thinking about upgrading their system.

We attended as a vendor and had a room two years ago.

It cost about 6000 bucks to go, not to mention the time lost being out of the office for me and three staff people for a week.

We figured that with the room packed the whole time, I maybe actually talked to a couple hundred people at the most.

So considering what it would cost a company like ML to go, and the fact that they just got done being in Denver at CEDIA a month prior, I can't say I blame them.

The RMAF is a fun show, if you are a spectator, but it's so close to CEDIA (which gets about 70 thousand people) and CES (which gets about 175 thousand) it gets tough for these guys...

My spouse and I are local in Colorado and will plan to attend the RMAF unless I am deployed or out of the state for work.
As we get closer we can schedule a get together if anyone is interested in a SACD listen via Vantages with a Pass Labs amp.

Lee

What about the press release and media from the show? Is that not worth a vendor's cost in attending? I would think that $6000 isn't too much of an expense for a company the size of ML. The current list of registered RMAF exhibitors seems to be significant. Is this show growing larger each year?

Of course they just did the Munich show and that must have been expensive.

CES is so large that Audio vendors must be dwarfed and lost in the crowd. It doesn't seem like there are that many audio and home theater shows per year in the US. Maybe I'm just not aware of them all but you don't hear about too many.

Maybe they're holding off until the '09 CES show to debut the CLX in the US but you think the RMAF would be a good event to have an earlier release and steal that show.

I was really hoping to hear the CLX there. Colorado is nice in October, But i wil probably go the CES

YUP! My thoughts exacxtly

Truth is with myself, and others in the area, when I do hear them @ Overture, it will be a FAR better experience than ANY show venue.

While it would be nice to have seen / heard them @ RMAF I am far more interested in ALL the other "goodies" that will be present !

While it would be nice to have seen / heard them @ RMAF I am far more interested in ALL the other "goodies" that will be present !

I agree, I'll still go to RMAF to check out all the other audio/HT stuff as well as the visit the area and the rest of the gang.

The main reason ML and a lot of mfrs are starting to pass on the RMAF is because it has such a small attendance.

Last year, RMAF had about 2200 attendees. About 6-700 of that group were associated industry people. Subtract another 4-500 people in the group that are hardcore DIY people that never buy anything and out of the thousand that are left, at least half of those are the same audio club members that go to these shows as a social event and really aren't thinking about upgrading their system.

We attended as a vendor and had a room two years ago.

It cost about 6000 bucks to go, not to mention the time lost being out of the office for me and three staff people for a week.

We figured that with the room packed the whole time, I maybe actually talked to a couple hundred people at the most.

So considering what it would cost a company like ML to go, and the fact that they just got done being in Denver at CEDIA a month prior, I can't say I blame them.

The RMAF is a fun show, if you are a spectator, but it's so close to CEDIA (which gets about 70 thousand people) and CES (which gets about 175 thousand) it gets tough for these guys...

I actually have a very different take on this. I've been talking a bit with Art Tedeschi who organizes the show about the possibility of some special events for our membership at this years show and he gave me some facts that are a bit different than what you've mentioned Jeff.

The 2004 show had 60 exhibitors. In 2005 that number grew to over 100. They anticipate more than 220 this year, so instead of declining participation from exhibitors it actually continues to grow every year.

Attendance at last years show was over 3300 (a bit more than 30% higher than what you mentioned), many of those being 3 day passes. They don't count Exhibitors, Volunteers, Press or others "comped" as ticketholders. I don't know how many folks were at the last few Stereophile shows, but I'd heard is was less than at RMAF.

I remember the Tone Audio room, I think it was 2 years ago. I walked into the room, but didn't see any equipment and then realized that you were a publication, so I just turned around and left. Sorry, I should have stopped and talked shop, but there were so many other rooms to go listen to I just didn't stay.

So here's the thing I really like about RMAF. I haven't been to CES, but I have been to CEDIA, and I really don't know how anyone can compare those types of shows to RMAF. At CEDIA most of the displays were static. Reason being that it's held in the Colorado Convention Center (the same facility where the Democratic National Convention will be held this year), a giant open hall where any demonstration of your gear would be competing with 8 other people's gear immediately around your booth. On top of that, it isn't just the audio manufacturers, it's all the integration folks, all the lighting folks, all the gaming folks etc.; so yeah, there may be 70,000 of your closest friends there, but how much of that traffic is really spending any "quality time" listening to high end audio gear? Actually, a good number of the gear on display isn't even "High End", lot's of low-fi and mid-fi to compete with as well. At CEDIA (and CES I believe), if you really want to listen to higher end gear you need to leave the main show and run over to THE Show (The High End Show). At CEDIA that ended up being about a dozen rooms that were actually playing music. CEDIA and CES are really geared towards audio professionals; that is to say dealers, agents, distributors etc. Those folks certainly are enthusiasts, but it's really about the business of audio (and video, and gaming etc.). At last years RMAF I sat down with Roger Sanders and talked amplifiers and speakers for nearly an hour. The year before I talked with DJ Casser of Black Diamond Racing about the best placement of cones and pucks under my equipment, and I walked out with a BDR clamp for my turntable at 30% off retail. The year before that I rubbed shoulders with Michael Fremmer and asked him about some recommendations on vinyl as we browsed the stacks together. I've spent hundereds of dollars every year at RMAF on both hardware and software. At CEDIA there was nothing even available for sale.

Martin Logan did display at RMAF in both 2004 and 2005, I visited the room both times. They did not have a room in 2006 or 2007, mostly because they don't have a dealer in Denver. Most of the rooms are shared by dealers and the manufacturers they represent. When I visited the Martin Logan booth at CEDIA they had a lot of stuff on display, but guess what, it was all static! That's right, not a single speaker was operational. Same thing in the Wilson booth, the Boulder booth, the Levinson booth; well, you get my drift.

I don't mean to sound so impassioned about RMAF just because I'm the "local" guy. It's just that as a real Music and Audio guy, I can't think of a better time than I've had at RMAF the past 4 years, and I think all of you guys would think so too.

Last edited:
Joey, with a Grand Total of "9" members on the docket for dinner Sat evening of the RMAF, there is little or no intrest in MLO activities this year.

Dave, I think we'll get more interest as the event nears. If it wasn't here in Denver I know I'd be on the fence. I can barely plan 2 weeks in advance much less 5 months in advance.

I know that I haven't registered for the dinner myself because...
A.) I've been traveling 5 of the last 6 weeks with 2 more on the road ahead, and
B.) I figured it was a "given" that I'd be there what with living here in Denver and all.

I'm ALL IN!

These are some interesting insights from Jeff and Tim. When I found about the more 'intimate' setting from those that attended last year, it sounded like a good show to attend.

I haven't been to the CES or any other big electronics show where audio gear is on display, but I have attended a few large auto shows. These are normally held at huge venues and while there is a lot to see, everything is, as Tim states, very static. Granted, it would be tough to test drive the cars on site.

But the RMAF seems to be very different from an attendee point of view. You can talk to the manufacturer directly, listen to the set up with your own music, and even purchase some (or many) of the products on site.

I am really excited to attend and I hope more ML owners will be there. Perhaps interest will pick up as we near October. I think a lot more would attend if the CLX were going to be on display, but as Dave pointed out there's a ton of other high-end gear to drool over!!! It sounds like a good time.

Erik

Last edited:
I think a lot more would attend if the CLX were going to be on display . . .

No doubt this is true. I, for one, am still pretty disappointed that ML reneged on their offer to let us audition the CLX at last year's gathering, but I am even more disappointed that almost a year later there is still no place in the U.S. to audition this speaker. It really seems like kind of a slap in the face of their American customers.

Fear not, Rich. The CLX will be at Overture soon enough. Hopefully we can perhaps hold a Regional Get-Together in Delaware if/when CLX get delivered there.

Erik

No doubt this is true. I, for one, am still pretty disappointed that ML reneged on their offer to let us audition the CLX at last year's gathering...

The wounds are still open from that... salt on my wounds. I just remember walking into the sound room and thinking that I was finally going to get to see (and hear) the CLX only to be disappointed to see that they only had the Summits.

First time seeing the Summits brought a sad frown to my face.

Why did ML debut the CLX's in Munich? The answer is very simple. About 3 weeks ago, I had lunch with four industry people. One of which was a local guy and the other three were from out West. When I mentioned the RMAF, the three Western guys told me they did almost zero business from the fest and these people are all high end reps. If ML isn't exhibiting, it isn't hard to figure why.

Latest posts

Back