$30M acoustic foam settlement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Companies agree to $30M settlement in RI club fire
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_on_re_us/nightclub_fire;_ylt=AiDNEQN2jPTmF3ceAsMhgddvzwcF
By ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press Writer Mon May 12, 5:36 PM ET

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Several foam manufacturers have agreed to pay $30 million to settle lawsuits brought by survivors and family members of those who died in a 2003 nightclub fire that killed 100 people, according to court papers filed Monday..........................

Investigators blame flammable, egg-crate-style foam on the walls and ceiling of the club for fueling the fire, which was started when a pyrotechnics display for the rock band Great White ignited the soundproofing material..............

The fire was the fourth-deadliest nightclub blaze in U.S. history. Besides the 100 people killed, more than 200 others were injured.

Former Great White tour manager Daniel Biechele, who lit the pyrotechnics, served 22 months in prison after pleading guilty to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter. He was released in March. The Derderians pleaded no contest to the same charges, and Michael Derderian is currently serving a four-year sentence while his brother was spared jail time.

I remember seeing a video of this, they had an eight foot high ceiling and lit off skyrockets and other things right into the ceiling, it bounced everywhere and looked like hell caught fire.

I know many of us have this foam in our homes and stereo rooms. No pyrotechnics please.:confused:

I think that fire retardant wall coverings for "commercial use" have a "Class-A" rating on them. Class-A will still light on fire and burn, but it will not drip or drop off and carry the flame to other surfaces via gravity or plume.

Look it up if you intend to use it and are concerned. You may also be able to contact your local Fire Marshal for more information.

I had a room that was like a sound studio when I was 19 . It was totally egg crate foamed walls!

I remember that video too. It went up real fast !

The issue isn't the foam, it's the sheer stupidity of people lighting off pyrotechnics in a nightclub! I saw the video of the fire and my first thoughts were:

1. Who would go see Great White?, and
2. What moron would set off fireworks indoors?

The issue isn't the foam, it's the sheer stupidity of people lighting off pyrotechnics in a nightclub! I saw the video of the fire and my first thoughts were:

1. Who would go see Great White?, and
2. What moron would set off fireworks indoors?

Right, but in the US court system; someone with deep pockets must pay!

They did not even know which foam company made the panels, they sued the distributor who will have to turn around and sue his suppliers. Great system we have............"it's better than India's", is not a great claim in my book.

It's still not clear which companies made the foam that was in the club. The foam was sold to club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian by American Foam Corp. in Johnston. American Foam, which has also been sued, bought foam from a handful of manufacturers. Tests were ongoing to help pinpoint the manufacturers.

Lawyers for the victims and the foam companies either declined to comment Monday or did not return phone messages seeking comment.

I suspect that it wasn't really acoustic treatment foam like we're used to, aka Auralex and others. They are generally treated with fire-retardant. I bet that it was just untreated waffle foam-rubber or something similar.

http://www.americanfoam.com/
American Foam Corporation is an innovative designer and manufacturer of specialty foam packaging material. For over 45 years we've been developing creative solutions to meet the decorative protective foam packaging needs for a variety of applications.

Our materials include:

* Sim-U-Vel™ - a decorative flocked velvet-like foam.
* Polyurethane Foams - Polyethers and Polyesters
* Polyethylene Foams
* Cross-linked Foams
* Reticulated Filter Foams

Our 80,000 square foot facility is located in Johnston, Rhode Island. Contact us for your next foam application.

No acoustic foam on this "Applications" page.
http://www.americanfoam.com/applications.htm

They were sued because someone used packing foam in lieu of acoustic foam and lit fireworks on it in a crowded room?

Now I'm really disturbed.:(

Back