Amp stand advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
My latest project has me moving my amplifiers close to the speakers. Placing the amps on the carpet or fireplace hearth is not going to meet with mine or the wife's approval.

So I am in the market for an inexpensive set of amp stands or other solution. Since these are SS amps, a full-tilt, vibration reducing, super whamodyne product is not required or desired. I just need a decent looking solution.

So I turn to this group for opinions once again.

Thanks !!

~VDR

For great-looking and solid amp stands, I recommend Maple platforms 3" to 4" thick and sized for your amps, with spikes screwed into the bottom of them. You can get these from Mapleshade or from Timber Nation.

AudioAdvisor has the Target (65lbs. max,) in two sizes around $100 or if you want class, the Billy Bags for around $250.

Stands

I use a slab of marble that I had cut at a stone retail store. Looks great does the job and I put Tip-Toes (spikes) underneath. it would seem to be a cheaper answer than to purchase one from a dealer, and you can choose the stone that best suits your needs.

Doug - out

Attachments

• DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 257
I use a slab of marble that I had cut at a stone retail store. Looks great does the job and I put Tip-Toes (spikes) underneath.
Doug - out

good idea doug. you know sometimes you can get a sink cutout from a place that does granite/marble countertops. there's a place near me that does that sometimes, but shipping dictates you look closer to home ;)

sink it

good idea doug. you know sometimes you can get a sink cutout from a place that does granite/marble countertops. there's a place near me that does that sometimes, but shipping dictates you look closer to home ;)

Sink cut-out, I had not thought of that. I see no reason why it would not work just fine.

Doug - out

Ikea ÄPPLARÖ

A few weeks ago on the way out of Ikea I see these in a garden display and think, Bingo! - Amp stands:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00108005

So I buy a few for 25 or 30 Euros each.

Don't laugh. They are made from real wood, will support the heaviest amplifiers with ease and look much better live than photographed. They have perfect proportions and are tall enough to vaccuum under without messing things up. The slotted surface maximizes air floor for amps which run hot.

While real cherry/teak/mahogany etc will look and feel much better these look many times more decent than their low price indicates. And they function just as well.

Don't laugh. They are made from real wood, will support the heaviest amplifiers with ease and look much better live than photographed. They have perfect proportions and are tall enough to vaccuum under without messing things up. The slotted surface maximizes air floor for amps which run hot.

man, those look awesome. very cool find.

My latest project has me moving my amplifiers close to the speakers. Placing the amps on the carpet or fireplace hearth is not going to meet with mine or the wife's approval.

So I am in the market for an inexpensive set of amp stands or other solution. Since these are SS amps, a full-tilt, vibration reducing, super whamodyne product is not required or desired. I just need a decent looking solution.

So I turn to this group for opinions once again.

Thanks !!

~VDR
This depends on the kind of amplifier that you have in terms of size, weight and the need for ventilation. I had Sound Anchors craft a very neat dark metal amplifier stand for my Pass X350.5 which perfectly matched its foot print. Because large amplifiers are so difficult to move, I had wheels for the stand so I can move it out of the way easily (whew!) if I have to get at other equipment. You might consider wheels over spikes for a large (> 80 pound) amplifier since the amplifier stand already damps vibrations. There are other manufacturers that make amp stands but I chose Sound Anchors because it was customed to my amplifier.

A few weeks ago on the way out of Ikea I see these in a garden display and think, Bingo! - Amp stands:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00108005

So I buy a few for 25 or 30 Euros each.

While real cherry/teak/mahogany etc will look and feel much better these look many times more decent than their low price indicates. And they function just as well.

The only thing I might do for added stability and good looks, would be to cut the leg length a bit and perhaps spike it. Otherwise looks fabulous to me:rocker: Leave it to folks on this site to find something so affordable and pleasing to look at as well. Nice job ralflar.

Doug - out

Thanks for all the good advice, gentlemen. I'm currently pricing out a pair of marble or granite slabs. Unfortunately, decorative bases (18"x18"x1.5", polished on 5 sides) are a custom job and finding a stone-cutter to do this asap is proving challenging.

~VDR

Thanks for all the good advice, gentlemen. I'm currently pricing out a pair of marble or granite slabs. Unfortunately, decorative bases (18"x18"x1.5", polished on 5 sides) are a custom job and finding a stone-cutter to do this asap is proving challenging.

~VDR
Why don't you check with a company that does headstones. I have seen some nicely polished ones in cemetaries.

Holy smokes !! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

[Digging for the YellowBook now] ;)

~VDR

Back