monster power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hey all - not a big fan of monster power conditioners etc... but, I saw one of their units - not sure of the model number - but, it looked like one of the models that shows the voltage on a digital display - but it did not have the display for that (model # possible 2600??) Any case - it was a very good deal at about 100 bucks. Has about 10 plugs / one for 'analog'... What will this thing do - if anything for me? I currently have one of their 8 plug 'guys' which just looks like a big power strip...

Had the HTS-2600 and thought it a fine unit. This one showed your choice of the voltage or amperage on the front. Returned it and picked up a Panamax 5100 but not because of an urgent need for a P over an M. Just that i got a better deal. Sonically there was no difference. If I could find a 2600 for $100 i would grab it.

An important difference between the strips and the larger conditioners is that the power strips are sacrificed when they protect your equipment whereas the units can be reset. Of course, there are limitations on the amount of power that can be absorbed before even the bigger units become fried. I believe that Furman units are better at recovering from heavy surges. Also, the larger units condition the power whereas the strips usually lack that feature.

Last edited:
Had the HTS-2600 and thought it a fine unit. This one showed your choice of the voltage or amperage on the front. Returned it and picked up a Panamax 5100 but not because of an urgent need for a P over an M. Just that i got a better deal. Sonically there was no difference. If I could find a 2600 for $100 i would grab it.

An important difference between the strips and the larger conditioners is that the power strips are sacrificed when they protect your equipment whereas the units can be reset. Of course, there are limitations on the amount of power that can be absorbed before even the bigger units become fried. I believe that Furman units are better at recovering from heavy surges. Also, the larger units condition the power whereas the strips usually lack that feature.

So, if I picked this up - would I expect to hear a sonic difference? What about plugging the power amp into it? I have heard that amps plugged into power conditioners usually degrade the sonics... What does this 2600 usually go for?

So, if I picked this up - would I expect to hear a sonic difference? What about plugging the power amp into it? I have heard that amps plugged into power conditioners usually degrade the sonics... What does this 2600 usually go for?

FYI, a couple years back I used a Monster HTS 3500 MKII for my two-channel setup, and never appreciated any sonic benefit (I was using it mainly for surge protection). It wasn't until I eventually replaced it with a Belkin PF60, that I realized the Monster had significantly DEGRADED my sound. The Belkin has a much higher current capacity, and doesn't "choke" my Belles amp. I have now relegated the Monster to my Home Theater setup, where it does not seem to have any detrimental effects. Before using any power conditioner/surge suppressor with an amp, I suggest extensively comparing it vs. amp direct to wall.

FYI, a couple years back I used a Monster HTS 3500 MKII for my two-channel setup, and never appreciated any sonic benefit (I was using it mainly for surge protection). It wasn't until I eventually replaced it with a Belkin PF60, that I realized the Monster had significantly DEGRADED my sound. The Belkin has a much higher current capacity, and doesn't "choke" my Belles amp. I have now relegated the Monster to my Home Theater setup, where it does not seem to have any detrimental effects. Before using any power conditioner/surge suppressor with an amp, I suggest extensively comparing it vs. amp direct to wall.

Hmm... that is disconcerting... I guess - given the price - I could try it out. right now - I am going right out of the wall w the amp. What do you think about the pre connecting to it?

Hi Timm,

As others have indicated, all PLC's are not created equal. Ideally, you insert into the system and hear no loss of information and hopefully a blacker background.

I really like the Furman units. They are apparently one of the most robust units for taking the proverbial voltage hit. Also, they incorporate a power reserve that ensures there will be no loss of dynamic range.

Maybe Rich will chime in since he recently purchased a couple of Furman units for his amps and Summits.

My usual advice. If at all possible, buy and audition from a source that offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This would include Audio Advisor, Music Direct, and Acoustic Sounds. All of these outlets are reputable, offer the 30 day money back, and a wide selection of products, in all price ranges, to choose from.

GG

Hi Timm,

As others have indicated, all PLC's are not created equal. Ideally, you insert into the system and hear no loss of information and hopefully a blacker background.

I really like the Furman units. They are apparently one of the most robust units for taking the proverbial voltage hit. Also, they incorporate a power reserve that ensures there will be no loss of dynamic range.

Maybe Rich will chime in since he recently purchased a couple of Furman units for his amps and Summits.

My usual advice. If at all possible, buy and audition from a source that offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This would include Audio Advisor, Music Direct, and Acoustic Sounds. All of these outlets are reputable, offer the 30 day money back, and a wide selection of products, in all price ranges, to choose from.

GG

Gordon - what price range are the Furman units - do you know?

Furman AR-1215

I use the Furman AR-1215 for my amp and P.A. system when playing gigs at small clubs with questionable power sources. I've learned the hard way what can happen to an amp when the voltage drops to brownout conditions. (Time for a new amp). The Ayre V-5xe likes to be plugged directly in the wall, but I was wondering if I should use the Furman AR-1215 for the Vistas, preamp,sources, etc... This thread seemed like a good time to ask.

Satch

I just got a pair of the Furman Elite 15 PFi's connected to my system. These are reasonably priced ($600 each) and appear to be well-built. I can't comment on sound quality yet because I am waiting on them to burn in a little and also waiting on some more Magic Power cords from Signal Cable. When I put the Furmans in, I rearranged the system setup re: power cords and moved the cords that were on my Summits to elsewhere in the system. I immediately noticed a large drop in the quality of my system's performance.

I attribute this partly to the need for the Furman's to burn in, but mostly to switching the Magic Power cords back to the stock power cords on the Summits. It is amazing how good the Magic Power cords make the Summits sound. Once I get the new Magic Power cords to put back on the Summits (and also a pair for the Furmans) and they have burned in a little bit, then I will be better able to give you my thoughts on their performance.

well - for what it is worth - I went over to circuit city @ lunch and bought the monster 2600..... for 80 bucks..... I ended up getting the demo model - but who cares. If I don't like it - I have 30 days to bring it back. The sales guy looked at the price and was baffled.... Oh well....Now I have to figure out where to put it. My wife was getting her nails done while I got this - wonder what cost more???

I use the Furman AR-1215 for my amp and P.A. system when playing gigs at small clubs with questionable power sources. I've learned the hard way what can happen to an amp when the voltage drops to brownout conditions. (Time for a new amp). The Ayre V-5xe likes to be plugged directly in the wall, but I was wondering if I should use the Furman AR-1215 for the Vistas, preamp,sources, etc... This thread seemed like a good time to ask.

Satch

darn good question and I think one worth repeating ... so, I can understand a possible degradation for large current items like the amps - but what about things like the above that Satch mentioned?

Honestly -- Anything by Monster is likely to leave you feeling a bit underwhelmed within a week of purchase. I have used several of their products over the years, mostly bought for convenience or expedience, and have not been impressed. As a company, they are a lot like BOSE. Initial impressions of quality or bang/buck are not likely to last. I do not recommend Monster speaker cables, ICs, or surge suppressors to anyone or for any reason. You might as well shop at Wal-Mart for your high end accessories.

On the other hand, Monster makes very good looking and nicely put-together HDMI cables.... So I guess that my rant on this subject is entirely without relevance.

~VDR

Timm,

I paid $1,100 + / - for the 20. They make two additional units above that. One for about 1,900 + / - and the other, their top, for 3,500 + / -.

I hope Rich likes the Furman. Although it is one model below mine, I would think it would be reasonably close in performance.

Secondly, Rich purchased based on my experience. :(

As for the amp being plugged into the PLC or directly into the wall socket, one just has to try both and see what sounds better. I did the swap and have my Pass plugged into the PLC. I also have a Cardas GR power cord from the PLC to a dedicated 20 amp outlet.

However, it seems silly to have a PLC and not have it protecting the amplifier. That was one of my main criteria to buy the Furman, after auditioning the unit in my system.

FWIW, I had previously tried a Furutech (model purchased had received good reviews and came recommended) and sent it back because it just "dampened" the sound too much.

Gordon

PS: I have my Summits plugged directly into another dedicated 20 amp outlet.

Last edited:
I have this hooked up now. I will give my thoughts as I compare different things. I am hoping for a 'no difference' - then I basically get better surge protection - which I think is worth 80 dollars. I will give you my impressions after I give it some time -and flip it back and forth from the wall to the surge protector.

In any case - I will give it some time - because it is easy for your brain to play tricks on you with this stuff....

so far... the LEDs look cool... :)

I use a J15 as backup for my Casablanca + digital sources....nice unit that has earned its keep.

Tj

Anybody have any experience with APC surge suppression? Specifically the H15.
Yes. Great unit overall. The H15 does not have the superb feature set of the Belkin PF60. I felt that source components and amps may have sounded a little better on the H15 than on the PF60s. I say "may" because I never attempted to verify this by switching back and forth between H15 and PF60 so my obervation should be regarded as dubious at best. In the end I used the high current outlets of a pair of PF60s for Vantages, Depth, and multi-channel amp. Stereo amps and sources were connected to the H15. I'm using past tense because all that was in the US. I am in 240V country now and those conditioners are useless here.

One drawback of the H15: the sockets on the back plane are too close together for many fancy power plugs (Wattgate, Furutech etc.) if they are covered in heatshrink. If they are not it will still be a tight fit.

Overall the PF60 is probably a better choice.

Rich,

My opinion on the burn-in of power conditioners and cables should not surprise you after a similar discussion we had on bi-wiring. Here goes. Burn-in is the time needed by the underwhelmed customer to convince himself that the expensive cables/conditioners were a good investment.

Another choice is the APC Line-R (LE1200 $54.00). It is just a line regulator that protects against brownouts, overvoltages and of course lightning.

I've been using these for 20 years, for just the above problems. In Phoenix we had fast moving thunder storms that could zip past at 1:00 am and you'd never know. In the windy/icy Quad-Cities there are fast moving thunderstorms, very high winds, and ice storms...all causing powerlines to arc, ground or surge.

I like to ensure my power supply is stable and immune to these problems and APC Line-R's have done very well for me to date. Got to protect my stereo and computer(s).

Rich,

My opinion on the burn-in of power conditioners and cables should not surprise you after a similar discussion we had on bi-wiring. Here goes. Burn-in is the time needed by the underwhelmed customer to convince himself that the expensive cables/conditioners were a good investment.

Ralflar, I understand your perspective. Would it change your thinking to know that this particular conditioner has capacitors in it to store power up for peak demands? I seriously don't know if the burn in of this particular component makes a difference or not. But it won't really matter. I cannot seriously evaluate the sound of my system with the Furman's installed until I have my Magic Power Cords back on my Summits (which will be another week or two), and by the time that happens I expect the Furman's will have received sufficient burn in.

Latest posts

Back