Ordered the Sunfire - need preamp advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
Howdy gang -
Well it finally happened, the second step to a quality system. After much reading and a bit of soul searching, the TGA-5200 was ordered and is due to arrive within five working days.

I decided on the Sunfire because I like my Carver and it seems to have some nice features. It runs cool and my second story listing room gets a bit warm before i break down and turn on the air. And of course, the discussions on this group - thanks!

Now i need advice on a preamp. Most listening, about 90%, is stereo, with a sub. However, the preamp will need to handle HT as this is becoming my only working system. I plan to bi-amp using two channels for each of the Aeon i speakers, and one left over for the Cinema i center. The original Carver (TFM-25) will run the rears. Please, feel free to comment on this approach since i am not even sure how it is done, never mind advantages in sound quality.

I am looking to by used, somewhere in the 1K range or more depending on what I find. Unlike discussion about cables (which I also need), I am not finding a lot of discussion on preamps in this group. Such discussions appear scattered or incidental, at least from what i have found.

I am looking mostly at Anthem and Lexicon, although the latter may be pricey. B&K came up but there is talk of reliability issues. I think that i need a better range of options. Is there a brand that is best matched to the ML's? What features are important? There will be short runs so I assume balanced is unnecessary.

Thanks all, this group is not only a source of inspiration but knowledgeable and your input is greatly appreciated. One of these days i hope to actually have a system worthy of a picture.

TomD.. it really depends on what you're hooking it up to. Will it be the latest and greatest? Will you need HDMI 1.3a for audio and video switching and decoding HD audio for BluRay? If so, $1K will not cut it,
Need to know more about what your direction is and where you want to go long term. I'm personally waiting for a while

If you're OK with Component Video and do not need HDMI.. i.e. HDMI sources directly to TV for video and audio via the processor, there are a lot of good choices.
Sunfire Theatre Grand, Rotel RSP 1068 or if you're lucky, a 1098 may be found on AudioGon for a decent price. Both have all the non-HD (Dolby Digital, etc) decoding you would want plus bypass for 2 channel audio.

I plan on going the Sunfire route eventually. Would love to add a 520x (the new series) to my existing system and eventually for the new series processor announced in January.

Congratulations on a great purchase. Use the solid state output to drive the bass and the 'tube like' output to drive the panels. Should sound great.

Solid state or tubes?

That is the question.

I ran a 100% SS setup for a while and then decided to try out a tube pre-amp. I got a hold of a used ARC LS2 and I love it. It'sa tube hybrid pre-amp (just one tube, so I don't have to deal with matching). It had a marked impact on my system.

It is totally a matter of taste. There are many stellar pre-amps. This forum has a pretty good blend of people that use integrated amps, SS and tube amps with SS pre-amps, or SS amps and SS pre-amps.

Like, you, I have a Sunfire amp powering my main speakers. Audio Research makes really nice stuff and if you get a chance to listen to their products, I highly recommend it. Other (somewhat lower priced) pre-amps that I have auditioned were the NAD C162 (listened to it with some B&W speakers) and another pre-amp by Rotel (the model escapes me).

Both were excellent. Don't be scared to try out a tube pre-amp though! You might be pleasantly surprised!

Erik

Last edited:
Like you, I've got a Sunfire amp (TGA-7400) driving my system, and I decided to stick with Sunfire on the Preprocessor and use a TGP-5. We also use our system for HT (better than 80%, in fact) and I'm very satisfied with the results.

TomD.. it really depends on what you're hooking it up to. Will it be the latest and greatest? Will you need HDMI 1.3a for audio and video switching and decoding HD audio for BluRay? If so, $1K will not cut it,
Need to know more about what your direction is and where you want to go long term.

Long term the answer is easy - BluRay and additional speakers as in 7.1. Do i need HDMI 1.3a in a processor? i don't know. Long term goal - keeping up with the best sound possible. Right now the DVD is via optical into the receiver and RGB into the TV. HDMI improves picture, but is sound improved over optical or some other format? Is it necessary to have the HDMI in the processor to achieve best sound? Sound while watching TV is not important as we listen only using the TV speakers. Sound is important during movies, and obviously for music. Please, any advise. i am not even sure what you mean by video switching and decoding HD audio.

Personally I'd say don't sweat HDMI. I use a Monoprice HDMI switcher and programmed it into my Harmony remote and it works great. Given the top dollar for high end HDMI switching preamps, I'd say this is the safe approach for now. Get a good preamp and add an external HDMI switch.

On the preamp, if you must have "real" theater (as opposed to a 2-channel w/sub system that you show movies on) then I'd recommend the Merdian gear. It's a little quirky but offers the best blend of music and theater. I have a Lexicon now and it's amazing for theater, but not quite as good as Meridian for music. (though I have to admit I've been listening to the Music 7 mode a lot). You can get a 565 for about $500 and a 568 for $1000 on the low end. If you get a 565 hold out for one with DTS.

Tom, I too am dedicated to Sunfire and I am looking to do something similar...

but strictly from the used market.

I have heard a few "high-end" theatres out there and I just keep coming back to the smooth soulful sound of the Sunfire Systems.

Is a used early model Theater Grand a possibility for you?
I believe that the software is upgradable from Sunfire and Bob Carver is legendary-bordering-on-Maniacal when it comes to product support.
It would be a sweet set-up.

Howdy gang -
Well it finally happened, the second step to a quality system. After much reading and a bit of soul searching, the TGA-5200 was ordered and is due to arrive within five working days.

I decided on the Sunfire because I like my Carver and it seems to have some nice features. It runs cool and my second story listing room gets a bit warm before i break down and turn on the air. And of course, the discussions on this group - thanks!

Now i need advice on a preamp. Most listening, about 90%, is stereo, with a sub. However, the preamp will need to handle HT as this is becoming my only working system. I plan to bi-amp using two channels for each of the Aeon i speakers, and one left over for the Cinema i center. The original Carver (TFM-25) will run the rears. Please, feel free to comment on this approach since i am not even sure how it is done, never mind advantages in sound quality.

I am looking to by used, somewhere in the 1K range or more depending on what I find. Unlike discussion about cables (which I also need), I am not finding a lot of discussion on preamps in this group. Such discussions appear scattered or incidental, at least from what i have found.

I am looking mostly at Anthem and Lexicon, although the latter may be pricey. B&K came up but there is talk of reliability issues. I think that i need a better range of options. Is there a brand that is best matched to the ML's? What features are important? There will be short runs so I assume balanced is unnecessary.

Thanks all, this group is not only a source of inspiration but knowledgeable and your input is greatly appreciated. One of these days i hope to actually have a system worthy of a picture.

Back