Ordering my first pair of Martin Logans.......

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

916 ML Lover

Reaction score
What's goin on guys. I am about to embark on a journey into the world of Martin Logan Ownership. Wish me luck.

Ordering: Vista and Stage.

Near future purchases: (2) Grotto i's

still deciding between Motif's and Matinee's for the rear speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yes, very excited. Losing sleep over this. Currently I have a Marantz Sr6001 that I will use as a pre-amp. This will be upgraded soon to the Marantz AV8003 Pre/pro. As for the amp(s) most likely an Anthem MCA series amp, but looking into Bi-amping the vista's.

I think you could find something better suited for surround sound duties. Heck, for that price you could get a pair of ML Sources and have a serious 5 speaker system. Take a look at the other posts about the motif, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything but the center channel (due to the design).

I would love to do sources for rears, but size being my restraint. Heck for the price of 2 Motif's I could always do another set of Vista's for rears (which would be kick ass), but the limitation on space is the killer. But good idea. Maybe I'll have to reconsider the room layout and make some space for another set of panels.

I would take the money spent on 2 Grotto i's and buy one sub of the same value, especially if you plan on using them for 2 channel. Just plop it in between the mains!

I would take the money spent on 2 Grotto i's and buy one sub of the same value, especially if you plan on using them for 2 channel. Just plop it in between the mains!

Not necessarily as easy as plopping it between the mains.

Get an SMS kit and make sure you have a flat response.

I think you could find something better suited for surround sound duties. Heck, for that price you could get a pair of ML Sources and have a serious 5 speaker system. Take a look at the other posts about the motif, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything but the center channel (due to the design).

For that price you can find 4 Scripts, and have a 7.1 system. I have seen several sets of new or nearly new Script-i on audiogon at about $1K per set. That will solve both the space and sound issues.

Not necessarily as easy as plopping it between the mains.

Just kidding of course. Placing the sub take a lot of trial and error. I am sure an sms-1 would be a great asset. It does seem that some people have good results placing the sub in the center for balance. I have mine in the corner.

I will strand by my recommendation of one sub over 2 subs at the same price. Maybe 1 Depth i vrs 2 Grottos.

I am using the Motif for surrounds. I angled them down about 30 degrees. They sound wonderful. I am using a Stage center, and Summit front right and left, Velodyne DD 15 sub.

be sure you have lots of plastic down when you hook up that stage! I think I
sprayed my shorts that day

Congradulations on entering the Martin Logan sound. I , too found center placement of the sub between the mains brought about the best sound after experimenting for a while on sub placement in different area's of the room.It is percisly that easy.

Have you considered purchasing used ML's?Your money will go far. Check the classified ads on this site as well as www.audiogon.com

Cheers

Back