Plinius Tautoro Preamp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Anyone here with experience with this preamp? I was wondering how it is and if anyone has heard it against the Cary 05, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joey

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2007/plinius_tautoro.shtml

Usual succinct review from Audioenz the New Zealand forum. As stated in the review the Tautoro is a lightly reworked M8 and Koru in the single package. I have no experience with the Tautoro but if Michael Wong's call regarding the midrange is correct i.e. lean compared to the M8 I would find it recessed.

We have had the M8 for several years and have played around with it in quite a few configurations and my call would be towards neutral rather than warm.

Kevin

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2007/plinius_tautoro.shtmlWe have had the M8 for several years and have played around with it in quite a few configurations and my call would be towards neutral rather than warm.

My sentiments precisely on the M8.

For what it's worth, the person from whom I bought the M8 replaced it with the Tautoro. Just a couple of weeks ago, I noticed he was trying to sell the Tautoro. Given the general quality of Plinius gear, it would be difficult to imagine that the sale was prompted by dissatisfaction.

So your Cary's taken a "dump" and you want to go from valves to SS? As good as the Plinius probably is (I've never heard it), I think valve preamps are the way to go...

No, he just faked that so he could get his next fix. Joey's hankering for his next upgrade. God, it's been months since his last one. :D

Come on, Joey. You can do better than the Tautoro. Try a CJ or ARC or BAT. Pass makes a nice solid state one, as does Roger Sanders. Just take a listen. You don't have to buy . . .

Last edited:
No, he just faked that so he could get his next fix. Joey's hankering for his next upgrade. God, it's been months since his last one. :D

Come on, Joey. You can do better than the Tautoro. Try a CJ or ARC or BAT. Pass makes a nice solid state one, as does Roger Sanders. Just take a listen. You don't have to buy . . .

No - he can't waste money on a preamp - he's saving up for the CLX!

No - he can't waste money on a preamp - he's saving up for the CLX!
But the CLX will reveal everything that is wrong with his preamp, so he has no option but to upgrade his preamp AND buy the CLX. :devil:

You know, for that matter, that Plinius SA-102 is getting kind of long in the tooth . . .

Maybe it's time to just scrap the whole system and start over from scratch:

ML CLX
ARC REF 3
ARC REF 610T (since he loves those glowing bottles so much)
Continuum TT

That should hold him over for a few years.

(p.s. Don't feel bad, Joey. We only tease the ones we love!)

I'm leaving this forum... everytime I log on, I risk losing financial stability.

I am sure the Plinny pre-amp is really good. I'll second Rich's thoughts and suggest ARC.

I brought my ARC LS2 (first came out in '94 I think) to Dan's (DTB300) house. We swapped out this SP16 and we thought both were similar sounding in his system. The SP16 is a newer model by comparison and it uses more tubes (6 I think vs just one for the LS2).

I can't tell you how much different the ARC will be over the Cary. Having said that, if you must upgrade, you could probably pick up a used ARC pre-amp at a really good price and see what happens. Also you may not need the latest and greatest from ARC to see what impact that type of pre has on your system. I thought Dan's pre-amp would have run circles around mine, but that wasn't the case.

Just my 0.02

Anyone here with experience with this preamp? I was wondering how it is and if anyone has heard it against the Cary 05, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joey

Joey,

I have never heard anyone rave about Plinius preamps. Maybe this one is an exception, but to me Plinius is an amp company. Bryston is an amp company. Classe is an amp company also, as their preamps and cd players are over-priced relative to the competition. Other companies are preamp companies - BAT sells many more preamps, not to say their amps are bad, but on balance, just not as amazing as their preamps.

Of course you should listen to it, but there is something to a reputation one earns.

Latest posts

Back