Index of Speaker mods and audio repair services

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Often times there are either recommendations for changes (like updating a capacitor in the crossover) or desires to modify our speakers (like remove a crossover) or to have some other audio equipment modification done, and many of us ask: “who could do this for me?”.

This thread is to collect the links and references to companies and individuals who provide these services.

It can cover everything from the larger, well organized service centers (i.e. ModWright) down to single proprietor, hobbyist type individuals.

Let‘s keep this list focused on the more esoteric speaker mods, tweaks and customization firms. There are plenty of other forums that talk about CD-player or preamp mods and tweaks (DIYAudio.com, AA, etc.) so let’s not list those here.

Given that amps are also part of the speaker system in an ESL setup, let’s include folks who mod amps to better suit ESL duties.

Finally, lets include the more esoteric parts and repair folks (mostly single proprietor) who will work on amps and other electronics that might be hard to find other wise.

To keep this somewhat structured, I propose all posts referencing an organization or individual provide the following:

Name: [ name of organization or individual ]
Services: [ what mods or other services does this organization provide ]
Link to website: [a fully qualified URL ]
Other contact info: [Phone or email, careful with email, as SPAM-bots collect from sites like this, use typed out versions like: somebody at somedomain dot com ]
Primary contact name: [ name of person to ask for if calling or addressing email ]

Experience with vendor: [ your direct or indirect experience with vendor. ]

Comments: [ any comments or additional info on this provider ]

Last edited:
Just Real Music

Name: Russ Knotts
Services: ESL parts, step-up transformers, and DIY supplies
Link to website: http://www.justrealmusic.com/
Other contact info: russ at justrealmusic dot com
Primary contact name: Russ

Experience with vendor: None (yet). Did some general research on him. Will be ordering some parts soon and will update based on direct experience.

Comments: Great source of DIY and mod supplies for ESL’s. He sells a complete audio step-up and high-voltage energizer kit, handy for ‘playing around’ with ESL’s.
Also looks like he’s do pretty much any mod you requested if you ship off your crossover unit to him.
He also designs and builds his own ESL panels and finished speakers, so he’s at least got the experience with using his own products. I understand he repairs and mods many other esoteric ESL, likeKLH nines and others.

ER Audio - AUS

Note: Located in Western Australia

Name: ER Audio
Link to website: http://www.eraudio.com.au/
Other contact info: Orders at eraudio dot com dot au
Primary contact name: Rob Mackinlay

Experience with vendor: None. Amey, any info on this vendor from your sources in AUS?

Comments: Looks like a comprehensive source of DIY and mod supplies for ESL’s. He sells a complete audio step-up and high-voltage energizer kits.
Also looks like he’s do pretty much any mod you requested if you ship off your crossover unit to him. This should handy for those in AUS or Asia.
He also designs and builds his own ESL panels and finished speakers.

Last edited:
Rita's Vintage Audio Repair

Name: Rita's Vintage Audio Repair
Services: Restoration and repair of most former Sunfire, Carver, Phase Linear gear, or audio gear in general.
Link to website:http://www.ritasvintageaudio.net/
Other contact info:telephone: 360.568.4700. 1920 Bickford Ave., Snohomish, WA 98290
Hours: 9-4 Pacific STD time. M-F

Primary contact name: Rita

Experience with vendor: Personally had a Sunfire Signature multi channel amplifier restored to original factory spec as new. Total cap replacement, many resistors too. The tech who did the restoration was one of BC's primary technician's who actually built many of the former Sunfire products still in circulation today.

Comments:This entire facility is staffed by former Sunfire and Carver employees, many of which, like Rita, have been with BC for decades now. Rita was one of the primary assistants under Bob. I've heard from a valid source that this is actually a company owned and operated by BC. It's been suggested that many were coming to him asking for repair and restoration to so many of his old amps still in circulation today, thus RVAR was created just a building or so away from where the original Sunfire gear was created.

Note:This is but a few miles from my location in Lake Stevens, WA. so if I can be of assistance to anyone needing something repaired feel free to drop me a note.

Just Real Music

Name:
Russ Knotts
Link to website: Home Page
Other contact info: russ at justrealmusic dot com
Primary contact name: Russ

Experience with vendor: None (yet). Did some general research on him. Will be ordering some parts soon and will update based on direct experience.

Comments: Great source of DIY and mod supplies for ESL’s. He sells a complete audio step-up and high-voltage energizer kit, handy for ‘playing around’ with ESL’s.
Also looks like he’s do pretty much any mod you requested if you ship off your crossover unit to him.
He also designs and builds his own ESL panels and finished speakers, so he’s at least got the experience with using his own products. I understand he repairs and mods many other esoteric ESL, likeKLH nines and others.
See our new caps installed on our esl15 renassaince, this is a huge step over original, better in everything

Attachments

• D8334D89-F773-49CE-B53E-4A5B32BB87A7.jpeg
    D8334D89-F773-49CE-B53E-4A5B32BB87A7.jpeg
    974 KB · Views: 63
  • 2CED39BE-2576-420C-9FB4-A70BBF8E6C1E.jpeg
    2CED39BE-2576-420C-9FB4-A70BBF8E6C1E.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 0C06900F-52F2-4AEB-BCDA-16D7ED716032.jpeg
    0C06900F-52F2-4AEB-BCDA-16D7ED716032.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 61
Anyone have experience with Russ Knotts?
I tried emailing and calling but have no response.
Interested in refurbishing CLS panel.
Thanks

Anyone have experience with Russ Knotts?
I tried emailing and calling but have no response.
Interested in refurbishing CLS panel.
Thanks
He has my Prodigy panels now. He should get back to you soon. He is still working, only now at a slower pace. He is older now and taking things a little easier.

Thanks for the information. I am also looking at new panels from ML. Pricey but these speakers are fantastic and a completely different flavor and presentation from the 11A barely broken in.

Back