Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hey all,

Last week, Devin from MartinLogan called and asked if I would be interested in coming out to Lawrence for a couple of days to spend some time talking to their developers and listening to the new models, including the CLX!!

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said, "OF COURSE I'LL COME!"

On Friday, June 13th, I'll be flying out there. I'll get to meet with the developers on Friday afternoon and then Saturday is set aside for LISTENING!! I'll be bringing alot of music... stuff that I know very well... My "critical listening" material.

When I get back, I'll write up a full report of the CLX and other new models (Spire and Preface).

This is a very unique opportunity and I'd like some input from you guys...

What questions would you ask the ML development team? Post your questions here and I'll get as many answers as I possibly can.

I'm PUMPED!!

Tom

Tom so very cool. I would love to know what you think of them. Who knows in 10 years I may get a set off of Audiogon. The design of the CLX is growing on me. Let me know if you need company. Hell its only a 6 hour drive.

Friday the 13th?

Hey all,

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I said, "OF COURSE I'LL COME!"

On Friday, June 13th, I'll be flying out there.

Tom

Tom,

VERY COOL for you to be able to do that! I can't wait for your report.

I hope they are bad. :rolleyes:

My Summits only have about 110 hours on them and I can't even think of upgrading.

Friday the 13th will be YOUR lucky day.
Maybe you can cut them a deal on the pair you audition. Offer them $13K . . . then run! :D

Seriously, congratulations on the invite!

Joe

Have a nice trip and please take your own music...the one that you know best! :D (that's the color of my face due to my envy!!! lol:() When I sow the pics I knew they were a complete different design... Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

I could meet you there and lend some ears for review.

Lucky bastage....:rocker:

What Kruppy said! Seriously Tom, that's really great. What other manufacturer would afford that opportunity to an enthusiast group such as our forum? Very much looking forward to your write up. I'll bet Kerry will be worried about the second mortgage you'll take out on the house to bring them home!

That is awesome, Tom. Here are my ten questions for ML:

1. What is their response to the disappointment expressed by some about the speaker only going down to 56 hz. (versus, say, 30 hz. of the CLS)?

2. If they can divulge it, what is the actual mechanism of the dual-force, triple stator bass module? In other words, electrically, how do you make a triple stator design work? What charge does the center stator get in relation to the inner and outer stators?

3. What are their sales expectations for these speakers, given their size and price?

4. Which sub do they recommend using with the CLX -- Depth i or Descent i? Also, do they recommend using one or using stereo subs?

5. Why do they say: "Vojtko filtering" vs. "Vojtko crossover?" Is this just marketing hype, or is there something different about the crossover in the speaker that makes it somehow less of a crossover?

6. Assuming it is a standard crossover, how do they justify sticking a crossover into the mix at such a critical frequency range? Can this really improve on the crossoverless design of the CLS?

7. Have they compared the CLX side-by-side with the CLS and, if so, how would they compare and contrast the two speakers?

8. What advantages do they believe this speaker presents over the Summit?

9. Did they consider a mid-bass line array (cone speaker) configuration (a'la mini-statement) rather than the dual-force bass panel, and if so, why did they decide not to go that route?

10. What is the price discount for the MLOC members? (Hell, you gotta ask, right?)

"5. Why do they say: "Vojtko filtering" vs. "Vojtko crossover?" Is this just marketing hype, or is there something different about the crossover in the speaker that makes it somehow less of a crossover?"

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been told there is a crossover.

What does the "audiophile power cord" provide that made them include it?

ps how does one pronounce Vojtko anyway?

Ask them if they come in a colour that matches the pink walls of your listening room. :D

A bit of advice: leave your credit cards at home.

Awesome, TOM!!

I look forward to your impressions and pics.... please do not forget the camera!

You lucky dog, you :p

I'd like to know more about the DualForce ESL. Design theory, patent references, etc.

I'd like to know their recommended placement considerations for this unit. Both for untreated rooms and treated, dedicated rooms. What's the ideal setup for them?

Is there a way to integrate an active crossover into the config?

When will they send me my review set? ;)

I'd like to know what upstream electronics are used during the development and voicing process, especially amps. After seeing the MAC amp used for demo in Germany, is that what is being used/has been used in the recent past?

Last edited:
What Kruppy said! Seriously Tom, that's really great. What other manufacturer would afford that opportunity to an enthusiast group such as our forum? Very much looking forward to your write up. I'll bet Kerry will be worried about the second mortgage you'll take out on the house to bring them home!

The ONLY way I'd be bringing a pair of CLX's home is if they gave them to be at half price.... Kerry would only sh1t half a brick then!! LOL

Tom that's an amazing opportunity...

ML is proving their confidence in the design and that's very very encouraging. You should take full advantage of this unique opportunity and bring LOTS of listening material that will allow them to show their stuff (especially in the male vocal range and the mid-to-low bottom end). The ML guys must have put a huge effort into balancing these things if they opted for a crossover.

After getting over the initial shock of the look and price tag, I have come to realize that these may have been misguided first impressions.
Seeing the pictures from the show, it's obvious that the press photos are not very flattering at all. Although the look is quite different and unconventional when taken as a single speaker, the shapely red paired ones are actually beautiful, IMHO.

As far as the price goes, The 20th Anniversary editions were $6k, add in a pair of stands @ $500, a pair of Depths @ $4k, and a another $1.5k or so for additional cables and all of a sudden it's not as far fetched as it seems. Especially when you factor in the fact that they may run rings around the CLS/Depth combo, sonically!

You are one lucky bastage, my friend!!!!!

:bowdown:

I think the invitation is wise on ML's part. I don't believe they were expecting the initial wave of negativeism that was generated here by the unphotogenic and pricey character of the CLX. Since the units won't hit dealers till June...if at all (I've already been told by my ML dealer that because of the steep price and the poor economy that they won't be bringing in a CLX pair for stock...only special order), so, inviting Tom out there to generate ooh's and ahh's from someone we all love and trust is a very wise move.

Tom,

Please suggest to ML that they put a demo pair out on a road show so that more of us can get to hear them.

Last edited:
bring LOTS of listening material that will allow them to show their stuff (especially in the male vocal range and the mid-to-low bottom end).
Don't forget the female vocal range; there are some soprano recordings that are hard to reproduce cleanly. Also take some solo piano.

Back