Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real engineering secret (which is why they asked Tom remove the electronics picture ;-) has to do with getting the two sections to operate as a crossover-less single panel!!

I'm confused.. The CLX is not crossover-less. It's got a crossover - ML calls it a "filter", but it's a crossover.

I was referring to the specific example we were discussing, the difference between Tom's Requests and the CLX. "All other things" wouldn't be equal, because the technology of the panels is different -- one has the old style panels, and one has the newer x-stat panels. I'm still not sure I buy your explanation, but I will admit to not knowing enough about the physics to dispute the issue. I know from my own experience that I have never had a problem with beaming from the larger ML panels (monolith, prodigy) and I have never heard of it being a problem with all you CLS lovers, so I just don't buy into your argument. I expect room acoustics have much more to do with the size of the sweet spot than width of the panel.
You're right, ML's don't beam, and further they have (if the room is big enough) a 2-person+ sweet spot when setup and room treatment are worked out. Many who disagree with this statement are probably listening nearfield without realizing it!

Anyway, I was responding to Tom's remark "Sweet spot seemed larger than my reQuests... Not sure why, since the reQuest panels are much wider." because it implies Tom thinks a wider panel should yield a bigger sweet spot (or did you mean something else Tom?) when in fact the reverse is true, as I tried to explain above.

I'm confused.. The CLX is not crossover-less. It's got a crossover - ML calls it a "filter", but it's a crossover.
Tom, I think there is a LOT of fancy engineering going on in that electronics interface -- and as someone already mentioned, may be a big factor in the CLX price tag!

The CLX specifications do state a 360Hz 'crossover' point and describe the high quality parts used in the Vojtko 'crossover'. But if you read between those lines, it's clear that this is not the kind of phase-altering dividing network we generally think of as a "crossover" -- such dividing networks have been used in all ML products with the one exception of the non-hybrid CLS. So when the term 'crossover-less' is invoked, the implication is that there is no phase shift between drivers (Dunlavy was one of the first to achieve this with a multi-driver loudspeaker.) Or if there is only one driver, as popular with the SET crowd, then the question is moot.

I'd bet there is zero phase shift between the two elements of the CLX. Does that qualify it as "crossover-less"? My answer would be, 'crossover-less is as crossover-less does! :D . . . . . . thanks for your kind attention :bowdown:

I'm quite intrigued with the CLX design and Tom's impressions, and look forward to more details and insight from Jeff Dorgay's visit. I wish I had the room to even dream about owning a pair, but that would mandate a new house! Maybe one of our local Tampa gang will eventually get a pair! :D

I am currently listening to the DVD Audio version of "Lucky Man" by Emerson Lake & Palmer on my Vantages in honor of Tom's incredible journey. Ooh how I would love to hear that track played on the CLX's.....maybe one day :D Job well done Tom. :bowdown:

Tom,

Thank you for your wonderful review. The play-by-play reporting was cool, makes us feel like we were in the room with you.

Question for you: how do you compare the CLX to the Statement E2? Understand that the CLX is not full range but perhaps you can offer any impression that you may have, even if it is limited to the frequency ranges that overlap btw these 2 speakers.

thanks,
CC

Tom,

Thank you for your wonderful review. The play-by-play reporting was cool, makes us feel like we were in the room with you.

Question for you: how do you compare the CLX to the Statement E2? Understand that the CLX is not full range but perhaps you can offer any impression that you may have, even if it is limited to the frequency ranges that overlap btw these 2 speakers.

thanks,
CC

I've never had the pleasure of hearing the Statement, so I can't comment...

Back