Official Press Release - Martin Logan CLX (including specs)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
MartinLogan® Announces the CLX,
A Simply Amazing Loudspeaker

Available: June 2008
CLX Retail Price: $19,995 base price (US retail)
CLX 25<SUP>th</SUP> Anniversary Edition Retail Price: $24,995 (US retail)

Munich, Germany, April 24, 2008— MartinLogan, the Loudspeaker Technology Company, is proud to announce the introduction of the CLX™—the world’s finest full-range electrostatic line source loudspeaker. Incorporating breakthrough technological innovations the CLX establishes a new performance benchmark for the industry.
In addition to total dedication for unmatched performance, environmentally conscious considerations influenced the design and engineering of the CLX, including the use of rapidly renewable or highly recyclable structural materials like EcoSound™. With an eye toward energy conservation, the CLX incorporates an advanced energy management design in its electrical circuitry. The CLX is designed, engineered, and manufactured in Lawrence, Kansas, USA.

2008 marks MartinLogan’s 25<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary and the first expression of the CLX, the CLX 25<SUP>th</SUP> Anniversary Edition, commemorates this important milestone and will be presold as a limited edition through select distribution.

Click HERE to see the CLX thread in the main discussion forum. More photos there.

Attachments

• CLX_Release_Info_042408a.pdf
    779 KB · Views: 2,126
Last edited:
what do you get for the extra 5k in the anniversary model besides the billet aluminum?
I didn't catch that...

Im sorry Iam a sucker but $20k for a mini monitor . 56 hz WTF . Plus its as ugly and cobbled together as Jed Clampets car !

This speaker seems excessively expensive. I hope that when the reviews come out, it is a stellar performer....:meditate:

~VDR

what do you get for the extra 5k in the anniversary model besides the billet aluminum?
I didn't catch that...

Interior and exterior white lighting as opposed to exterior blue lighting

What ever that means

I hope that's a typo :mad:

Uh, it's a dipole radiator, what did you expect? ;)

It's actually good if they can do it up to over 105 dB SPL (but that's not mentioned anywhere, so who knows if it can get there, but for that money, I'd expect it to.)

Crossover to a real sub (like an IB) and presto, a thre way system that can rock.

Finally, we get some real info and a picture on the CLX.

56hz on the bottom end shouldn't be too much of a surprise. We sort of knew all along that they would made to integrate with a sub if not dependent on a sub.

I'll hold judgement on the looks until I see one in person. I thought the Summit was ugly when I first saw the photos but it looked much better when I actually saw it. Same with the C6 Corvette picture when it first came out. They both grew on me.

Unfortunately, the price is out of my range but then so are many other speakers in this class. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews.

Last edited:
hmm..im just curious...when i bought my Aerius I's, it took me almost 2 weeks of breaking them in to get a PROPER sound and as well proper positioning of my speaker...so..do the reviewers do this as well? Cause i remember clear as day the massive difference from the speaker before it was properly broken in to after it was broken in, I even had to do it again after they replaced the panels with the 2nd gen ones as well, So I know this all too well. *i just wish they replaced the crossover as well* :D I wonder what the procedure is for all this..with reviewers...how long they have them...work with them...etc etc...and yeah..they look pretty 'ugly'...even for an electrostat...for $25k...hmm..if i could come up with that kinda cash..id prolly look at the new Steinway system that was just released...priced for $150k...but i have just as much a chance of coming up with $150k as i do of $25k :) so its the same area to me :D hehe

They call it the "truth"....

As much as I love ML, calling something so absolute is bound to be refuted - especially when the CLX version 2 comes out in a few years... I mean, how can something be "truth-er"?

The CLX at $20K and only hitting 56hz is a tough pill to swallow. I recall the outrage when the Magico Mini I became popular as a bookshelf speaker costing $22K.... a lot of love and hate for that monitor. I think the same for the CLX, there will be those who will love this speaker and many who will not.

Either way, I still gotta hear it.

Thanks, Tom!

oh yee of little faith

I for one am glad they rolled it off at 53 hz. At least it is an honest frequency curve. Since in my opinion all speakers need a sub. I prefer to cut in at 100hz. We were looking for a better CLS. We didn't get anything close.

So let's open our minds and evaluate it on it's merit. It could very well be a stinker like the original CLS II. It has a xover. It also has two small panels. Look for a line source sub within the next year.

Last edited:
Back