The new CLX is HERE - Exclusive Photos!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect some of the photos are of a prototype rather than a finished product. A little architectural adjustments would make a world of difference.

Was the 56Hz - 23Kz CLX meant to be a stand alone speaker or intended to be be used with a pair Descent i's ? There are advantages of a speaker having the woofers separate from the mid and high range panels to create a full range sound. The optimum woofer location is not necessarily the same place as the rest of the speaker. Of course it would take some effort to get a pair of CLX and one or two subs setup for maximum effect.

Last edited:
Craig, I would concur that it's designed to be paired with a sub. as you point out, room placement is very important for bass, as it is for highs, but these rarely overlap in terms of ideal locale.

One of the reasons I'm more attracted to the Spire vs a Summit is that a pair of Spires+ Depth would be a petty sweet system.

likewise, a pair of CLX plus a pair of Depth's should make a very cohesive system.

Incidentally what is all this eco nonsense on the press release? You still ned a high power amplifier to drive the things. Do you really want your speakers biodegrading? Pure marketing drivel.

Kevin

I think they mean they are tree friendly... afterall there is only half a Frame :rolleyes:

Miles

they're too wide for my room :(

okay, i don't know what i was thinking. they're 3 inches narrower than my CLS's (CLSen :confused: ) so they will fit just fine in my room. and let me have a bigger screen.

now if i can just get them to fit into my wallet...

Given the long incubation period for this design I expected something decidedly different, and that is certainly what we apparently have. As a former Acoustat and Apogee Diva owner I can live with the cosmetics, especially after seeing them in black. But with the need for subs and cables we're knocking on the door at about 30K+, a price point where there is SERIOUS competition. Time will of course tell, but at least ML has the balls to give it a go!

Nonetheless, putting a "wing' on either end in order to minimize bass cancellation is not exactly an original concept nor is it rocket science.

I think there are 2 reasons for the 'wing':

-first, to stiffen the panel...reducing sway!

-second, to damp vibrations in the wood frame. I haven't seen anyone mention this on the CLS's. The CLS wood frame definitely vibrates and that 'wing' would certainly dampen that.

No comment on the CLX metal frame(s) that hold the panels? Surely that is a big improvement over the CLS's sticky tape and wood channel in the frames to hold the stators!

with the need for subs and cables we're knocking on the door at about 30K+, a price point where there is SERIOUS competition.

I seem to be missing something here...Perhaps someone can clear up the confusion. The CLX was designed to be a "full range" speaker to eliminate the crossover to the woofers like the Summit has, yet it apparently needs a sub to be truely "full range" and that sub requires a crossover with it's inherent issues. My question becomes why bother?.... especially at a price point well above the Summit.

Placement will become another issue...they are so wide that there will be physical limitations to achieving proper soundstage in many rooms, but they may be designed only for select rooms....

Granted, it may be able to play louder than the Summits, but my pair (of Summits) put out enough sound in a 22' x 29'x 1' to be painful.

What is the CLX intended for...an auditorium?

Last edited:
Just Lovely...

Hey Guys,

I wonder how much the CLX's would cost in Bird's Eye Maple? :)
If they are under 15 - 20K in BEM count me in... :D

I wonder how much space they would require? Does anyone know? :confused:

Back