My Cary took a "Dump" !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Well....sooner or later it had to happen, my first EVER audio product failure !

My beloved Cary CDP 303/300 failed to come to life last nite !

When switching out of standby mode it simply would not 'power up' ?

I opened her up, checked the usual, fuses, all mechanical electrical connections, to no avail !

Oh well, looks like it will be making a trip to Apex, NC

Imagine.......I'll be stuck with nothing but vinyl for a while....have pity on me ! LOL !

Sorry to hear that Dave, but I'm sure you'll suffer through with the VPI rig while it's being repaired.

sorry to hear that Dave..... Never heard of a Cary taking a dump like that.. they seem to be bulletproof and built like tanks.

Good time to rediscover your vinyl collection.

:D

Ha! That's what you get for buying junk like that! You should send it to me so that I can discard it for you.:D

I suppose you're right Steve, I'll keep my eye open for a K-Mart 'Blue Light' this week for a replacement !

I've got a gut feeling it's something simple and the shipping costs back and forth will most likly be the most exspensive part ! fingers crossed !

sorry to hear that Dave..... Never heard of a Cary taking a dump like that.. they seem to be bulletproof and built like tanks.

Good time to rediscover your vinyl collection.

:D

One of the themes in science education is that complex systems will inevitably fail. Cary products are no exception!

So sorry to hear that Pops.... hope you survive through this little CD-free zone.

You got pm...

Dave -

Make sure they fix that screw (hole) that was stripped too.

Erik

I took care of that when I opened it up to check "the little things" , thanks for reminding me !

So how long do we gotta wait before the Cary returns, Dave? Hopefully not too long....

It's still under warranty I presume?

Only analog to listen to?? How can that be a bad thing?? Rediscover your vinyl man :D

Only analog to listen to?? How can that be a bad thing?? Rediscover your vinyl man :D

Huey, There is no "rediscovering" ...analog is my love, first and foremost !

My comment was made with, 'tongue in cheek' !

So how long do we gotta wait before the Cary returns, Dave? Hopefully not too long....

It's still under warranty I presume?

Got the call from Cary today, a diode failed on the power supply board, since I'm the second owner, non-transferable warranty, I'm out of pocket $100 (bench fee only)

it should be back in SE Pa next Wed

$100

Got the call from Cary today, a diode failed on the power supply board, since I'm the second owner, non-transferable warranty, I'm out of pocket $100 (bench fee only)

I guess all things considered, $100 is not all that bad.

Of course it's YOUR money!:D

Joe

PS: I have about 110 hours on a Cary SLP-03 tubed pre amp and I'm pretty pleased right now. It's starting to really open up now, along with the Sanders amp, both bought at the same time. Now that was an ouch. :eek: Actually I have my "fixed" Summits back, so the entire system is pretty much new, except for the Oppo player. The next thing to be upgraded, but not for awhile.

I guess all things considered, $100 is not all that bad.

Of course it's YOUR money!:D

Joe

PS: I have about 110 hours on a Cary SLP-03 tubed pre amp and I'm pretty pleased right now. It's starting to really open up now, along with the Sanders amp, both bought at the same time. Now that was an ouch. :eek: Actually I have my "fixed" Summits back, so the entire system is pretty much new, except for the Oppo player. The next thing to be upgraded, but not for awhile.

Joe,

Weren't you looking at the SLP05 vs the 03? What made you go with the 03?

Glad to hear that Dave.... $100 aint too bad.... it could've been much worse.

Slp-03 Vs. Slp-05

Joe,

Weren't you looking at the SLP05 vs the 03? What made you go with the 03?

Joey,

One word: $5,000! :eek::eek:

I have no doubt that the 05 would sound better, but the price difference was just to great to justify. My dream is to own an ARC pre amp. Right now the ARC REF3 is the dream, with a $10,000 list price! :(

In addition, the 05 is a little more "complicated" from a technical standpoint than I would like to see (seperate power supply, 8 tubes, two of which are not used I believe based on RCA VS. XLR, exposed tubes (although that looks VERY cool). I am a minimalist at heart.

I'm looking at upgrading my 2 channel Sanders ESL amp to the mono blocs within a year or so. Then a new CDP to replace my Oppo. I know that the CDP should be the FIRST thing upgraded, but to get all of the components placed where I want them, and the right length of speaker/IC cables, this is the order of upgrade I'm looking at. Then some new audio "furniture" to house additional electronics and give everything room to breath. This will require additional mental war fare with my spouse. :rolleyes:

In the mean time, I'll be nickel and diming myself with some smaller upgrades, mostly things to cut down on vibration and EMI/RMI. I forgot a power conditioner.

I better get a part time job now that I think about it. :mad:

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back