A DAY TO REMEMBER ! What a day !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
I was traveling in Minneapolis Minnesota yesterday and had a appointment get canceled and my out going flight was not until 8:30 PM . So what did I do ? What any Audiophile would do. Find a high end Audio store to get your fix. BOY DID I STRIKE GOLD. Audio Perfection is in the outskirts of Minneapolis. They have a plethra of high end gear and 5 seperate listening rooms that you can isolate your self in. The Sales man Eric was very knowledgeable and was great to talk to. The best part was they had Martin Logan (Summits and many others) along with the Flag ship Magnepan 20.1 , the Wison MAX . As many tube amps as I have ever seen. This was a true high end audio store. I sat down to do some serious listening of the Summit first. They were set up with a bit heavy toe with the chair almost equilateral in distance from them. I was asked what music I wanted to listen to and was given the exact disc I asked for. The amazing thing was that Eric the sales man said enjoy and feel free to move the chair around and change the disc. He then walked out and shut the door. I was like a kid in a candy store. I listened to about 2 tracks and decided to TWEAK the position of the Summits. They were Thin and to centered sounding. I also moved the seat back to my liking. I then listened to the whole Eva Cassidy "Time After Time" disc. WOW!!! These speakers were unbelievable. They threw a image as deep and wide as any speaker I have ever heard. There is NO woofer to panel integration problem with them at all.

Next was some Steely Dan tracks fallowed by Jack Johnson. I was able to listen to this set for about 1.5 hrs uninterrupted and me controlling the Volume and the tracks, I had my own system for that time. Show me a audio store that lets you do that.;)

After I cleaned the drool off my chin I decided to do some comparison listening. Eric was eager to please and quickly moved the Magnepan 20.1 into position.

Round 2 with the same recordings to get a good comparison. They were run with the same Equipment as the Logans. Audio Research hybrid tube amp and AR pre amp with a AR CD player, (Which I think is a well made unit). Again I had CARTE BLANCHE and was left alone to play. They were set at the same location as the Summits with my chair nearly the same place.

The Magnepans were very good with a wide stage and good detail but they could not hold a candle to the Summits. They almost had a sound as to they could not get out of their own panels way. Like the rear wave was being blocked by the huge panel. Dont get me wrong here, They were damn good . Were talking about comparing world class speakers here, They just didnt have the detail and the openess that the Summits had.

Darth Vader arrives. I listened to the NEW Wilson Max with the twin AR mono blocks and the Top line AR pre amp as the AR CD player. I was relay expecting to hear typical Wilson boom. I started out with the Steely Dan with Jeff "skunk"Baxter and Denny Diaz exchanging licks with their opening lines in Reeling in the Years" and went into a few more. They were set up about 7 feet or so apart with me moving the chair back about 12to 14 feet. I then listened to Eva Cassidy fallowed by the Jack Johnson as well as some Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".

The Wilson's sounded better than what I have heard in the past but it was still boxy sounding. They threw a wide image with a somewhat deep stage but I found my self lowering the volume and realizing that first and foremost I am a Stat man. They just didn't have the romance that was needed . I found my self with closed eyes and puckered lips waiting for that magical kiss from them and they left me hanging. Again this was comparing the best of whats available to a degree.

There was enough tube gear to make any valve guy drool. Thy had a set of Innersound (Roger Sanders old design). They were used for sale but were not hooked up. :( I

I have been to a lot of high end stores and never had such a great time and had a free for all. I spent 4.5 hrs there basically on my own in sealed rooms. If anyone is in the Minnesota area and can go there and see the store it is well worth the drive. I will definitely go back and visit. Eric is as cool as a salesman as I have ever seen in high end . Knowledgeable too!

The Summits AMAZED me with their sound. Do not let them smaller panels fool ya. They are world class. It was some if not the best I have ever heard . They sounded so smooth with the tubes. Like all Logan's They like a larger room with very little toe and a seat about double the distance between them.
If I was spending $12k for speakers I would have walked out with the Summits as my #1 choice . The Maggies were good but they don't hold a candle to the Summits. The Wilson's would make for a good mail box stand. Pretty and solid but still hold a bunch of shit inside.

Here are a few pics of the days events.

Attachments

• img071 (Small).jpg
    img071 (Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 290
  • img074 (Small).jpg
    img074 (Small).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 284
  • img077 (Small).jpg
    img077 (Small).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 283
  • img081 (Small).jpg
    img081 (Small).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 283
  • img078 (Small).jpg
    img078 (Small).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 280
You lucky bas-tage !! Sounds like you had one of those awe-inspiring days that we audiophiles dream of and remember for years. Did you audition those Watt/Puppies ?? I listened to a set of blue ones a few weeks ago and I was quite impressed.

My gut tells me that your local ML dealer will be getting a phone call when you get home....

:music:

~VDR

Thanks for your impressions and the photos. I heard the Watt Puppies a few weeks ago and they just kicked the hell out of Summits on imaging and dynamics (keeping in mind that both were great). Could not justify the price difference vs. sound difference, but did prefer the Wilsons. Liked the Sophia II better as well, at closer price point.

WOW!!! These speakers were unbelievable. They threw a image as deep and wide as any speaker I have ever heard. There is NO woofer to panel integration problem with them at all.

. . .

The Summits AMAZED me with their sound. Do not let them smaller panels fool ya. They are world class. It was some if not the best I have ever heard .

See what we been trying to tell ya, C.A.P.? They really are an incredible speaker, especially in a good room and hooked to great electronics. I'll be surprised and impressed if ML can best them with the CLX.

CAP, Good write-up ! and I'm sure an even better time was had !!

Now you know how lucky I am to have Overture only minutes away !

Audio Perfection is where I purchased my McIntosh MC252 amp and 201 SACD player. They have a fine selection of equipment and Eric is extremely helpful in a non salesman manner. Plenty of Mac, Audio Research, etc in different rooms for each price level. Great service and selection. Highly recommended. My McIntosh c220 tube amp needed a tube and Eric offered to have their technician look at it even though I purchased it elsewhere.
Jim

See what we been trying to tell ya, C.A.P.? They really are an incredible speaker, especially in a good room and hooked to great electronics. I'll be surprised and impressed if ML can best them with the CLX.

I am AMAZED that little panel can do all that. Yes they are a wonderful . Best Woofer integration I have ever heard. Ill be Mortgaging the house if the new CLX best it .

The Maggies were good but they don't hold a candle to the Summits. The Wilson's would make for a good mail box stand. Pretty and solid but still hold a bunch of shit inside.

Great reading, i could feel your passion for fine sound. BTW, do you think the Maggies would make good sound absorbers for the MLs? :devil:

Back