SPL meter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drrafe

Reaction score
I have read where many of you use a SPL meter to dial in your summits bass response with the controls and tweaking other response with position and room treatments. Using an inexpensive Radio Shack meter that just shows decibels at a given frequency range, are you guys using a cd that will produce pure tones at given frequency, and if so where do you get one and if that is not the case, what are you doing with the spl meter. Thanks.

Yes, generally we are using test tones from a cd. I have several of the stereophile test cds, which you can order directly from them. There are others out there that you can get from Music Direct or other sources.

it was pointed out to me that the Radio Shack meter is not very accurate at low frequencies. I read that there was a conversion chart somewhere on the web (did find it then) and used the tones of DVE to calibrate my system. I haven't run the tests in my new place so it's that time again.

I think the goal here is to balance the SPL levels across the range of frequencies to achieve a more balanced flat response. In other words eliminating or at least reducing the peaks and nulls. Each and every room is soooo... different.

Thanks for posting that, Ethan. You present some very helpful information and explanations.

Latest posts

Back