Valve Preamp choice - Audio Research LS 26 or Pathos Acoustics In Control ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@rio

Reaction score
Recently I replaced my Martin Logan Mosaic loudspeakers with Martin Logan Purity which are fully active. Now I would like to buy nice preamp. Help me with my choice. :confused:

Mario, Welcome, congrats on the new Purity speakers !

What is the source that you will be using with them ? multiple ?? CDP, Turntable, etc ?? You do have certian "non-preamp" flexibility.

Regarding your two mentioned pre's, I couldn't be more happy than I am with my LS-26.

Thanx !!!

Sorry, I forgot to mention; CDP is Unison Research Unico CD, WireWorld Silver Eclipse XLR, RCA and WireWorld Electra power cords. Yes I know that thing "non preamp flexibility", but my CDP doesn't have variable outputs. For my ears the sound is too dry (connecting CDP directly to active speakers). Preamp combination brings "magic" in a system.

Last edited:
I second Dave's vote as I have a Ref 3 (similar to LS 26) and I think you'll enjoy the LS 26.

Pathos Acoustics InControl preamp :

Attachments

• Pathos InControl.jpg
    Pathos InControl.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,533
or Audio Research LS 26

Attachments

• ARC_LS26_front.jpg
    ARC_LS26_front.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,233
The best preamp that I have ever heard in my system was the Audio Research Ls5 MkII. It was the most dynamic, involving and smooth sounding piece of hardware.... It mated with my SS amps in a way that's hard to describe. Absolute bliss....Ahhhhh.

I demo'd it in my house for a couple days several years ago. Alas, I couldn't get it past the ol' lady. The price was a bit much for her. But if I saw a really good one on the 'Gon tomorrow, I'd scoop it up in a second.

My vote goes for the ARC !!!

~VDR

Last edited:
My ML dealer does not sell ARC, but never knocks ARC. In fact, his favourite preamp at home is the SP10. I am still enjoying my SP9, which I bought over 10 years ago. Apart from the volume pot, which got noisy a few years ago, it has performed flawlessly. Now if only I could afford to buy the PH7 and Ref3 !!! :(

ARC has an excellent service department; Leonard there is very helpful.

My ML dealer does not sell ARC, but never knocks ARC. In fact, his favourite preamp at home is the SP10. I am still enjoying my SP9, which I bought over 10 years ago. Apart from the volume pot, which got noisy a few years ago, it has performed flawlessly. Now if only I could afford to buy the PH7 and Ref3 !!! :(

ARC has an excellent service department; Leonard there is very helpful.

The Ref 3 and PH 7 (along with the Ref 110) are a stunning combination. I have them and would not trade them.

Another vote for ARC here. I absolutely love the Ref 3. Have never heard the Pathos, so can't comment on that.

If you are looking at ARC then I would audition BAT as well. My own opinion of both lines is that the sound is equal in quality (but may differ in character model to model) but as an engineer my opinion is that dollar for dollar the BAT build quality is superior.

My choice was the BAT VK31SE (now discontinued but available) with a SS amp to power my Summits.

Last edited:
If you are looking at ARC then I would audition BAT as well. My own opinion of both lines is that the sound is equal in quality (but may differ in character model to model) but as an engineer my opinion is that dollar for dollar the BAT build quality is superior.

My choice was the BAT VK31SE (now discontinued but available) with a SS amp to power my Summits.

I had a BAT vk51se before the Ref 3. The Ref3 (IMHO) beats it in almost every audible quality. I had considered the Rex, but I find it hard to justify the price.

I had a BAT vk51se before the Ref 3. The Ref3 (IMHO) beats it in almost every audible quality. I had considered the Rex, but I find it hard to justify the price.

That's the thing......I think the VK51SE lacks the soul of the VK31SE, they can't really be compared because their character is so different, that's why BAT was successful selling both. Some people even prefer the VK3i to either...go figure. The 51 is almost too smooth and too clean to the point of having no soul. Asking someone which preamp is "the best" in this lofty arena is like asking which female supermodel is "the best", your opinion will undoubtably differ from mine.

Last edited:
Back