Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System #55 (Summit)

Any impressions so far...

Quote Originally Posted by tsmooth View Post
    Any impressions so far...
    My impressions are summarized in the commentary at the top of this page, with more detailed comments posted in the bookshelves thread in the Acoustics section...
    http://www.martinloganowners.com/~td...ead.php?t=7551
    Last edited by sleepysurf; 03-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Alan,

Just wanted to say hello! Your system remains fantastic btw!
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Upgraded my amp to the revered Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 (100 % SS). They are no longer in production, but I snagged one off A'gon. After a rocky start (DOA due to a broken capacitor solder joint from shipping), I'm now enjoying my system at a whole new level. Also added a Running Springs Audio Duke conditioner (for amp and preamp). Will update pics, and post a longer review ASAP!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleepysurf; 11-22-2009 at 04:27 AM.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.

I've completed my upgrade path with the recent addition of a Conrad Johnson CT5 (also snagged off A'gon) to mate with my Premier 350. It's absolutely stunning, from both a musical, and cosmetic perspective. The icing on the cake is that the classic Conrad Johnson "champagne" finish blends perfectly with my acoustic panels! I didn't have such an upgrade in mind when ordering the panels, but I guess 'twas meant to be! I'll post a further review once everything is properly dialed in.

Nice upgrade! Looks great!
    My ML CLS IIz/Pass Labs/JL Audio system here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...ead.php?t=9676

Updated main system pics at top.

I've recently integrated my old NHT Sub Two into my stereo setup (formerly used only for Home Theater), placing it along a mid side wall to test my hypothesis that it would smooth the ~60 Hz null in my bass response. The subsequent XTZ Room Analyzer measurement (below), confirms it will (even without "dialing in"). I now have a BalancedForce 210 sub on order. I expect the PBK, along with the custom Summit filter, will further smooth my low/mid bass. Will post additional measurements and pics once the upgrade is complete.

That's going to be sweet Alan! Don't forget to call me over for a listening session.

What happened to that much-promised "further review"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    What happened to that much-promised "further review"?
    Oops, guess I forgot about it! I still have the CT-5, if that's any indication!

I will post a full system update once I get my BalancedForce 210, complete with XTZ Room Analyzer plots, and the requisite audiophile prose.

Added 2nd BF 210 sub to my setup, running both as Dual Mono subs (2nd daisy-chained to first), and relocated both behind the listening position/couch. After new sub breaks in, will run PBK and XTZ, and post latest findings. Already sounding much better than prior single BF210 along mid side wall!

Name:  DualMonoSubs.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  78.6 KB
    Last edited by sleepysurf; 02-06-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Here's the initial XTZ Full Range measurement for my ML Expressions (after ARC applied). As before (with my Summits) I have a room bass null at ~50 Hz, which I hope to fill in with my dual BF210's, without "muddying up" the otherwise pristine tight bass I'm getting with the Expressions alone.

Name:  ML_Expressions_XTZ_FullRange (+ARC, -Subs).jpg
Views: 102
Size:  42.1 KB

Hi Alan, that looks pretty good for just the mains alone. I think you are right that the 2 BF210's will help fill in that null and provide much better overall low-bass.

Will you run full-time bass management and only feed the Expressions >80Hz?

Will you PBK each sub independently?

Cheers,
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Hi Alan, that looks pretty good for just the mains alone. I think you are right that the 2 BF210's will help fill in that null and provide much better overall low-bass.

Will you run full-time bass management and only feed the Expressions >80Hz?

Will you PBK each sub independently?

Cheers,
    I previously tried the BF210's as dual mono, using the (downloaded) crossover filter for the Expressions woofers set at -10 db. That filled in the room null, but the bass was somewhat "muddier." Next up, I'll run the Expressions full range with the respective BF210 crossover filters, and compare single vs. dual mono vs. stereo sub configuration (each sub PBK'd individually). I suspect a single sub is really all I'll need. Time will tell! Lots of "permutations" to try!

Voila! Running the subs as a stereo pair worked wonders! Required a bit of manual adjustments (beyond just using PBK and downloaded filters) for overall smoothest bass response, but the result is spectacular!

Name:  ML_Expressions_XTZ_FullRange (+ARC, +StereoSubs).jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.9 KB

In retrospect, I realize it was futile to run the subs as dual mono, when the Expressions are running full-range stereo. That's why I kept getting somewhat muddy bass (even with my Summits)! I'm still going to separately "tweak" each subs volume (phase too, if indicated) but I'm already 99% of where I want to be!

If anybody else is trying to use 2 or more subs with ML's running full-range, I strongly suggest configuring them for stereo (vs. dual mono).