Dead Can Dance - SACD Releases

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite is “Into the labyrinth”, next Is “Spiritchaser” and then “Toward the Within”.

Just arrived yesterday. "Into the labyrinth", "Spritchaser" and "Aion". The sonics on these SACDs are some of the best I have ever heard.

I am very surprised that no one has brought up the 2 best songs every by Dead can Dance: both from the "into the LABYRINTH " album
1. The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
2. The carnival is over

both songs bring chills shivering through your spine, especially on a good ML system!!!

OK.. I must be really missing something here. As much as I've tried to like them, i cant sit through an entire CD. (but the same was true for Steely Dan's Aja and it has become one of my favorites) I ended up giving my copy of Spritchaser away.. my friend and his wife love it. I have one of the SACD's but it is untitled.. the first track is 'The Fatal Impact' so not sure which one that is.
Given what I have seem on this forum and have hear from others, I'll give 'Into The Labyrinth' a try (as it seems to be a favorite here).. with try to pick it up tomorrow.
Sorry to be the stick in the mud here.

Not a big deal if you don't like them, they may not be everyone's cup of tea. You'd probably need to be a little predisposed to "primal" music to really appreciate them.

Now if you wan't some music that REALLY pushed the "primal" theme you'd have to check out Crash Worship. They don't translate all that well on disc - you really need to see them live. Imagine a Roman bacchanal, complete with flowing wine down naked female bodies being carried around the room on a liter, huge drums being pounded in manic tempo, fire, smoke and insense burning all about, a half naked crowd jumping up and down in unison, and occasional couples fornicating in dark corners of the room. And that was just in the opening song!

Just picked up Into The Labyrinth.. couldn't find the new SACD but did get the remaster (2008).. Just finished listening to it for the first time and I think it will quickly become one of my favorite CD's.. already drooling over finding it on SACD.. this seems very different than the other DCD I have heard..
I may give Spiritchaser another chance..
Gordon.. the two tracks you mentioned (#2) did send chills up and down my spine.

Just picked up Into The Labyrinth.. couldn't find the new SACD but did get the remaster (2008).. Just finished listening to it for the first time and I think it will quickly become one of my favorite CD's.. already drooling over finding it on SACD.. this seems very different than the other DCD I have heard..
I may give Spiritchaser another chance..
Gordon.. the two tracks you mentioned (#2) did send chills up and down my spine.

Mickey, I kind of agree with you too1 I also bought Spiritchaser and really could not listen to it.. Just too far out there. Maybe if you are smoking something funny (just kidding here! :ROFL:). I skipped through each song but just could not find any connection... IMHO "The Carnival is over" and "The ubiqutous Mr Lovegroove" are their best songs. Actually the first time I heart Mr Lovegroove, I happende to be at a Goth Club in Indianapolis, IN called "The Vault". They played some very interesting goth music (which I love by the way!) and then this song came on and it packed the dancefloor! I was like, wtf is this playing here... Then the song grew on me and once it was over I asked the DJ the name of it and it has not left my head ever since! It is an instant classic in my eyes!
happy listening! (I will take the time to recommend some very good goth rock music once I get my act together and have a bit more time!)

Back