Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

Super User

I think what you are trying to do is simply cleanse the panel of dirt and debris. I dont think you need high pressure for this. It is not like you are trying to strip of mildew from the side of your house.

If I am not mistaken most people use their showers for this sort of job. Thus if you have hand held shower head, I'd set it to the 'soft' setting and simply rince the panels with lukewarm water.

Erik

Super User

Really, ML factory tech support told you to wash them? Can you quote exactly what they said in the full context?

The main idea of washing the panels (and even RO membranes) is not to try and dislodge contaminants by direct physical means but to get the contaminants into suspension and flushed away.
    The "Shower Method" oft mentioned here reflects this. Most household water pressures run from 30-50 psi, further reduced by the shower head restriction. Pressure washers operate at much higher pressures, to dislodge contaminants by physical means primarily.
    Point? Don't even think of using a pressure washer on the panels. you will destroy them, unless that low setting you speak of is the equivalent of what your shower or a hose sprayer can do.

I have the feeling that I have landed in deep trouble. I followed the steps mentioned here and cleaned the entire thing. After keeping it dry for some time I tried to switch on the speaker. To my horror I found that it was not working. I removed the wires and reconnected everything but even then nothing is coming. I really wonder what I should do now.

Quote Originally Posted by netroll123 View Post
    I have the feeling that I have landed in deep trouble. I followed the steps mentioned here and cleaned the entire thing. After keeping it dry for some time I tried to switch on the speaker. To my horror I found that it was not working. I removed the wires and reconnected everything but even then nothing is coming. I really wonder what I should do now.
    TT
    Uh oh - where'd all your friends go -
    Responses?

Well, you must have made a mistake somewhere, you did check you connected the wires correctly and checked in the bass cavity that nothing came loose in there?
    Is the bass working? Does the led light come on?
    Bryston B100 SST DA, Micro Seiki BL-77/MA707/Audio-Technica AT33PGT II, Musical Fidelity V-LPS II, Squeezebox 3, Nakamichi LX5, Tandberg TCD440A, Martin Logan Aeon I, REL T3

Greetings!

This is my first message.
    Long time Aerius owner (1997) and have similar problems of decline.
    The shower story is completely new to me and the whole thing leaves me in dubio. But I am affraid I end up with two options. Take a shower with my panels or purchase new ones.
    I reckon a showersession also brings me closer to my set...
    I'll bring you a rapport of things!
    Cya
    Tomaso

Okay, when I saw this I thought 'oh, man, somebody has a few loose screws'. Well, I had to take my SL3's apart today to reposition the panels and add the 'the Martin Logan patented panel stop plates' (now there's a high-tech solution for you). the panel on one speaker had slipped enough that the strain on the panel wires had weakened enough for the front and back wires to immediately come off. If you ever had to re-solder these little buggers back on, well, I feel your pain.

At any rate, the panels were off and I thought, what the heck, let's hit the shower. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I'd already survived the soldering exercise without giving up and throwing the damn things away and ordering new ones. What's a little water?

So, there weren't as much as fun as a shower with the wife. No surprise there, i guess. It's okay; my expectations very pretty low anyway.

Dried and back together with a light dusting of baby powder (I'm just kidding with that part) I fired them up.

Wow! Are you serious?! I'm completely stunned. Could they have been that dirty to sound that comparatively bad or are they just really happy to be freshly cleaned and feel like singing? Maybe I need to bath with them more often.

Nah, that's a 'once decade thing', don't get used to it, girls. it wasn't that much fun but I thoroughly enjoyed the results.

Has anyone ever done this with a pair of Ascents? Mine are probably due for this treatment and I was wondering.

Doug - out

Has anyone washed the panels of the ML Clarity? Mine have become so soft that they are bare audible and the woofer is overpowering.

Default Any changes for newer speakers like the Vantage

Do the rails come off the same way on something like the Vantage model? I am considering giving mine a bath since they're about 5 years old now and I feel like vaccuming helps, but maybe not as much as it used to. Should one still avoid spraying the back side of the panel?
    -ML Vantage, Stage, Helos 20, Depth-i System #203
    -Cary Cinema 12
    -Cary Cinema 7.125
    -Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
    -Signal Cable/Blue Jeans interconnects. OregonDV 1.5" Spikes

Just want to share my recent Model SL3 experience here:
    I was having a problem with one of my SL3 panels sounding a bit lower in volume compared to the other. I swapped panels with the other SL3 to make sure the prob was actually with the panel and this confirmed it. I tried vacuming it but it didn't help so I decided to hit it with the garden hose. After washing both sides of the panel and letting it sit to dry all day, I hooked it back up but didn't get any sound from it. I thought i had really messed it up now! Last resort was to let a fan blow on it overnight and try again the next day. Well, lo and behold after re-installing it, it is working and perfectly matched in volume to the other SL3...!
    Lesson learned....Be sure to give your panels plenty of time to dry before hooking them back up.(I believe the fan really helped to dry it out well also)
    PS: I had initially called ML support about this problem and they also recommended hitting the solder connections w/ a soldering iron where the wires connect to the panel.
    A cold solder joint might have also caused this low volume problem.
    I could only get to 2 of the 3 wire connections since one of the wires is sandwiched between the 2 perforated panels and I didn't want to pry them apart at all.

Tim

My Ascent experience....

1. Remove the 3 screws that remove the cover for the wires that run to the panel, and unfasten the bullet connectors (this was particularly painful)
    2. Remove all 5 screws from each side of the panel, plus the 3 each side that remove the wood trim
    3. Gently separate the panel from the side cheeks. This includes the black plastic moulding that holds the metal panel each side. In my case it didn't separate easily and needed careful use of small screwdriver to break the seal. I showered the panels while the black plastic moulding remained on. I tried removing it but gentle pulling didn't do it and I didn't see the need to force it
    4. Shower with gentle spray
    5. Towel dry then use a cool hairdrier and leave 24 hours to dry out
    6. Refit by first attaching the panel with 1 screw, then put the other side in with the wood cheek and screw the cheek followed by the panel. Then remove the 1 screw from the other side and repeat.

I did have a fright when one speaker cut out, but it came back after a few minutes and hasn't happened again. I guess there was some residual moisture somewhere.

The result? Leading edges have improved, and detail is better. Not a night-and-day difference but worthwhile for free, and it does make them more involving now there's a little more excitement -- I say this as a Klipsch Forte II owner who enjoys the excitement . I've searched all my life for a speaker that gives me the same feeling as sitting in the middle of an orchestra playing big symphonies, and the Klipsches are like that at times. I'm not sure Ascents are, but I can see their attraction in other ways. Yes, I'm sure a money-no-object speaker would get me closer, but unfortunately money is an object for me...

I hope this helps others to take the plunge with their Ascents. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, and yet again noted how American speakers are basically very simple in their construction.

Peter

Default Prodigy's panels went into the shower yesterday!

My Prodigys have been somewhat dull at the higher frequencies, so yesterday I took a couple of gallons of distilled water and a hand pressure sprayer and went to work. I towel dried, then used a hair dryer in warm mode, then left them outside several hours to dry. Last night I mounted them in place, but didn't connect them. Tonight I'll see what the improvements are, I'll keep you updated. Crossing fingers that this works so I don't have to spend $2,400 on new panels!

Default Washed my SL3's over the weekend

I've been reading the thread over and over in the past years and this weekend I finally had the guts to go ahead with this. So this afternoon the 48h wait for the stators to dry was over and I reinstalled everything. Man what can I say, the result is beyond my wildest expectation. My speakers are 18 years old and still have the original stators but this procedure brought them back BIG time.

I can recommend this to everyone. It's dead easy to do and really makes a difference.