Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

Super User

Update, Odysseus? "No news is good news..."?

HELP. How do I get the rails off my SL3 without breaking them? I hammered them upward, look JUST like the pic in the PDF but they're NOT budging. Thanks, Jay

Default On my SL3's the rails are nudged DOWN approx 1" to release hidden locking devices

Quote Originally Posted by polskajay View Post
    HELP. How do I get the rails off my SL3 without breaking them? I hammered them upward, look JUST like the pic in the PDF but they're NOT budging. Thanks, Jay
    As my title says, to remove the two side rails on my 1997'ish SL3's I had to tap the top end of the rail (top of speaker) down toward the woofer end (5' away). What some posts have not mentioned is that you only have to move the rails down about one inch (or maybe 1.5 inch) in order to release several captivated rail locking devices hidden along the underside of the rail. On two of my rails they released from the locks as soon as they where tapped down the requisite one inch, but two others did not release until I pulled them up manually....YMMV.

Hope that helps.

I removed my rails because the ES panels had migrated down the front of the speaker and hit the floor. I guess a known problem with my vintage SL3's. The downward movement damaged some of the adhesive rubber gasket under the woofer cover panel and a layer that seems to lock the ES panel to the woofer panel curved upper edge and might provide dampening. Wondering what to do with this gasket situation.

Might wash the detached panels very gently and carefully on the front side only as recommended here (Update - washed both sides).

UPDATE -- Indeed, washed both sides of the panels in the shower gently with a mild dish soap solution, then rinsed very thoroughly with clean water. Used my air compressor to blow an air stream over the panels to push the water droplets off to the sides. Did not get too close with the air nozzle. Wanted a light force on the panel surface to move the water, break surface tension not blast it off. Note - my compressor does not use an inline oiler. Some compressors that frequently run air tools inject a thin stream of oil into the airflow to help lubricate the rotary tools. An oil film would obviously NOT be good at all for the panel surface. Just thought I would mention it. Let the panels dry for 3+ days before replacing them in the speaker cabinets.

Panel Anti-Slide Mod
    Used my own method to keep the panels from sliding down in the frame. One small hole punched in each lower corner of the curved woofer steel grill cover in an area covered by the wood side rails. Beveled flathead screw thru the hole into the wood frame with a spacer backer. Countersunk the hole in the grill to make sure the small screw head did not protrude much above the grill surface so as to not interfere with the side rails. Seemed to work OK.

Binding Post Threads
    Oh, when I went to attach my Kimber speaker cables to the SL3 binding posts it was hard to get two of the wing nuts threaded on properly. For others with the same problem you should know on my vintage SL3's I was able to clean up the threads using a 1/4-28 tap and die. After re-establishing clean threads the nuts went on fine.

Results - Audio Test
    Very relieved to report the shower did not kill my SL3's. I think it might have improved the sound a bit; little clearer stage presence(?), but admittedly hard for me to really tell. Will invite my musician friend over to help with a listening test. Used a SEAL CD and also some beautiful choral music with a lot of dynamic range; Lux Aeterna by Lauridsen (Pacific NW composer).
    Last edited by mark-in-seattle; 10-12-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Updated info

Has anyone tried this on Aerius i - I cannot see any obvious way to remove the electrostatic panel - help!?

For those that have done this, did the degrading occur again and how long before it did?

I'm considering attempting this on a pair of Aerius iI that I'm noticing have lost a bit of top end; can anyone tell me how I get the electrostatic panels off - are the wooden side mouldings all that hold them on, removed by tapping upwards with a rubber mallet?

Also I see that double sided tape holding stuff together, will this need to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-seattle View Post

Panel Anti-Slide Mod
    Used my own method to keep the panels from sliding down in the frame. One small hole punched in each lower corner of the curved woofer steel grill cover in an area covered by the wood side rails. Beveled flathead screw thru the hole into the wood frame with a spacer backer. Countersunk the hole in the grill to make sure the small screw head did not protrude much above the grill surface so as to not interfere with the side rails. Seemed to work OK.
    good idea, that should work, and be strong enough to stop them sliding down. I've seen a version of screwing a bracket to the base but this is nice as it is hidden away.

I wonder why ML never made them like that but relying on sticky tape that will over time be less sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by 02GF74 View Post
    Has anyone tried this on Aerius i - I cannot see any obvious way to remove the electrostatic panel - help!?

So I just took my Ascents and put them in the shower. The whole speaker, I did not even bother removing the stators. I washed both sides once with shower water and then did a final rinse using DI water. I let them dry inside in the dark for 5 days to ensure that any trapped water had dried. Plugged them in and fired them up a couple days ago and OMG I could not believe the difference! My speakers used arc and it was very noticible at high volumes. They do not arc at all now and the highs are a lot more crisp. I really see no need to disassemble the speeker, just try not the get the woofers wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gaven555 View Post
    so i just took my ascents and put them in the shower. The whole speaker, i did not even bother removing the stators. I washed both sides once with shower water and then did a final rinse using di water. I let them dry inside in the dark for 5 days to ensure that any trapped water had dried. Plugged them in and fired them up a couple days ago and omg i could not believe the difference! My speakers used arc and it was very noticible at high volumes. They do not arc at all now and the highs are a lot more crisp. I really see no need to disassemble the speeker, just try not the get the woofers wet.
    not recommended!!!
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

water and electronics
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Quote Originally Posted by Gaven555 View Post
    So I just took my Ascents and put them in the shower. The whole speaker, I did not even bother removing the stators.
    Good luck. Hope nothing fails in the future.

Super User

Can't tell if the smell is troll or wet MDF.

Hi everybody.

Being a quite new owner of a pair of ML Aerius from 1993 I have been reading lots of your posts nearly day and nicht - very informative and interesting.
    Knowing that this thread is quite old I wonder if someone could give me an update on your resent experience with washing Panels.

Quite in the beginning of this threads someone mentiones not to wash the back side of the Panels and in other comments People are writing that they washed both sides of the Panels.
    I would be very happy if some of you who did the washing procedure would give me some advice on how to wash ma Aerius Panels.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Rino

Default Thanks for the solution

Excellent piece of information, I will start cleaning mine right now!!! Now to the forum, found solution to my problem instantly!! Thanks a lot.

CE

Quote Originally Posted by HK-Steve View Post
    Hello everyone,

I went through the process of Cleaning my Martin Logan Quest Stators in the shower.

I wrote the process down and created a PDF for everyone.

Hope this helps those interested in doing the same.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks to Tom for hosting for me

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~td...%20Washing.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cjescalante View Post
    Excellent piece of information, I will start cleaning mine right now!!! Now to the forum, found solution to my problem instantly!! Thanks a lot.

CE
    I am new on this forum, but being a hydrologist, I know a thing or two about water and I think i'll better post a warning here. I fear very much for your solution, cjescalante, elegant as it may seem. What to think about calciumcarbonate precipitation on our precious electrostatic sheets ? You'll DEFINITELY end up with spoiled sheets. Flushing with ordinary drinking water and drying by evaporation (that is, no wiping) will ALWAYS result in thin layers of precipitated CaCO3, or other mineralizations. You'll definitely ruin your speakers. Don't do this ! When flushing at all, only distilled, highly demineralized water will do.