CLS stands

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Yea two DIY posts this morning, just passing the time before work.

I decided to finally take Neal's suggestion to heart and make some stands for my CLSIIz's.

Once again he is correct. I have been working to clean up the bass for a while in my room. I now have 4 large bass traps and 12 accoustical panels.

Raising the CLS's is a clear winner. It cleaned and renforced the lowend for me. I am not sure if it's the change in sound reflection from the floor and walls or its interaction with my subs but it works. If you haven't tried it use some concrete blocks or build some simple wood boxes to see the difference.

I used 2" Poplar lumber in a "T" shape for the bass with Socket Cap screws at the end of each section. These thread through "T" nuts on the bottom of the base. It makes small adjustments in the speaker easy with an allen wrench.

The top is made from a 2" thick piece of MDF. Between the two I used 6" long pieces of 3" dia. steel pipe recessed 1/4" into the top and base.

I then used a piece of 1/4" threaded rod inside the pipe from a threaded insert nut in bottom of the MDF top and through the Poplar base and put a nut and washer on the bottom out of sight. Tightened together they are very strong.

My total cost I would say is under $100 for both stands

Attachments

• CLS stands 011 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 011 (Large).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,042
  • CLS stands 009 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 009 (Large).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,933
  • CLS stands 014 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 014 (Large).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,951
  • CLS stands 019 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 019 (Large).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,896
  • CLS stands 023 (Large).jpg
    CLS stands 023 (Large).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 4,317
Nice work. I to have been playing with the idea of some stands. Right now I am using some quick built MDF stands I made to get rid of my paint cans. They are needed for the CLS. I have looked at many designs and have a few in my head to make. I like the old Arcici stands and may make a modified version of them. I find each room to be a bit different as to the height. I am still playing with that to finalize my design. I will post pics.

Very nice,Brad! I once had the CLS-1's on Arcici stands(I think)-the ones that required you to screw a bracket into the frame to keep them stable. They neither looked as good,nor were they as economical(cheap) as your set-up. Hmm..any thoughts of having something available for other,less handy CLS owners out there? Of such humble beginnings are fortunes made! :bowdown:

charles

Back