Rear dispersion pattern?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
We all know that the front dispersion angle of the ML panels is 30 degrees sideways, right?

But do we know what it is at the back? Is it a mirror reflection of the front (30 degrees outwards) or an 'extension' of the front?
In this case it would be concave, with a distinct focal point, wouldn't it?

As we try to tame rear reflections I think this is important, in case there is a theoretically ideal distance to a front wall.

John,

There is definitely a point at which the concave wave launch focuses and this will vary with the width of the panel. The wider the panel, the further away the focus point will be.

I don’t have to the time to calculate that right now for the various widths, but it’s pretty straightforward.

Also, once you pass the focus point, the sound spreads out, just like from a Cinema center with its concave forward radiating surface.

So yes, the waveform will disperse at an angle of 30 degrees once it passes the focal point.

It would be interesting to measure whether absorption is better at the focal point, or either side of it.

Next time I have the measuring rig set up, I’ll grab the spare SL3 and test this (see, having extra ML’s lying around does come in handy ;) )

Back