Patricia Barber - Modern Cool

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
Artist - Patricia Barber
Title - Modern Cool
Year of Release - 2002
Record Label - Mobile Fidelity Koch
Genre - Female Vocal / Jazz

First off this is the SACD version, but it is also available on Redbook and there is even a release coming on 45 vinyl (three ablums).

This is an incredible ablum, right from the start. The very first cut "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get lost in this smokey jazz.

Attachments

• barber_moderncool.jpg
    barber_moderncool.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,756
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this sounds excellent (and that's on crappy, cheap computer speakers). I've wondered about many of the albums people have referenced here and in other threads. Rather than buy a copy on speculation, it occurred to me that iTunes lets you hear 30 second cuts from songs on any album, so I just sampled a few from this one. I really love the voice quality of Barber. It's like a smokey version of Joni Mitchell, albeit a different genre. This is also one of the general styles of jazz that I prefer. I'll be buying this CD...

Agreed, this is a brilliant album.......

Superbly recorded and produced, and Im only talking about the Blue Note release, as I haven't heard the MoFi version.

Also worth trying is Barber's more recent album, 'Verse'.

I just listened to the 'original master recording' and that's all it took for me to place my online order. Thanks for sharing!

I totally agree, this is a wondeful jazz SACD. Patrica Barber has such a sweet, yet mellow vioce. Thank you for the recommendation, Wardsweb, you were right -on.

-Robin

The HDCD version of Barber's Cafe Blue is a reference CD for many, including me. Sounds good on almost any system, but especially with MLs. Lots of bass, but my Ascent-i handle it well. This disc usually goes for $25, even online, but if you are inclined to spend that amount on a CD, this is well worth it.

Anthony

I've yet to hear a "bad" Patricia Barber album. She performed at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in September 2004 and it was an amazing show. Here's something a little quirky - she always performs barefoot.

I've got "Modern Cool" in regular CD, the MoFI SACD, the Premonition vinyl and the new 45rpm MoFi vinyl. The MoFi vinyl is incredibly quiet, but to my ears a bit heavy handed in the low end. Has anyone else got this version? I've tried playing with the VTA, but it doesn't change the overall presentation. Personally, I prefer the Premonition vinyl.

Thanks

Thanks for the recomendation. I had never heard of Patricia Barber, but I went online and pick up a copy. I liked it so well, I ordered three more of her CDs

--burke

I've got "Modern Cool" in regular CD, the MoFI SACD, the Premonition vinyl and the new 45rpm MoFi vinyl. The MoFi vinyl is incredibly quiet, but to my ears a bit heavy handed in the low end. Has anyone else got this version? I've tried playing with the VTA, but it doesn't change the overall presentation. Personally, I prefer the Premonition vinyl.

Tim, my son gave me the three record set for X-Mas, while over to his house for lunch last week I got to listen to it on his "squeezbox thingie" and while very good the vinyl simply takes it up a notch. Bass heavy........ maybe , but then I'm new to Ms Barber, and I trully enjoy the percussion and piano on these LP's !!

Her new Mtyhologies disc is a good one to get.

B000GPI15K.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

another Patrica Barber CD

This is her live album that impressed me: Live: A Fortnight in France [LIVE].
In addition to her sultry vocals and sensuous keyboards, the instrumental "Crash" is quite tight and exciting, and captured well "live".
-Tosh

Attachments

• PatriciaBarberLiveinFrance.jpg
    PatriciaBarberLiveinFrance.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 937
The HDCD version of Barber's Cafe Blue is a reference CD for many, including me. Sounds good on almost any system, but especially with MLs. Lots of bass, but my Ascent-i handle it well. This disc usually goes for $25, even online, but if you are inclined to spend that amount on a CD, this is well worth it.

Anthony

Could not agree with you more. This is a great recording in any format, but if you have the HDCD chip? Heaven.

Doug - out

You can add me to the new fan list too.. heard 'Modern Cool' on my landlords system (old Quads, vandersteen subs & tube amp) and was blown away. went out the next day and purchased Companion on SACD and ordered Modern Cool SACD & redbook (OK, I'm nuts). The redbook arrived yesterday and I absolutely love it.
On 'Companion', she does The Beat Goes On, Black Magic Woman and You Are My Sunshine.. amazing interpretations. Not my usual style of music but I love it!

Latest posts

Back