System #234 (CLS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building a new one to...Replace the old one???, Or Just adding a second sub???

Anyways, to the questions:

What led you to Rythmik?

Is that a 12 or 15?, servo or non-servo?

If servo, what sonic differences do you notice, as opposed to non-servo?

Rythmik site shows a damping circuit, do you use this? what setting?

Is there a need for all of this technology if one was to build a transmission line woofer/sub that extends to 25 Hz or so, and doesn't need huge SPL levels? as described at this link:
http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/Transmission Line WP1.html

Hope this is not to much, and hope you are measuring twice before you cut. ;^}

Cheers, Steve

Its a 15 inch Servo design. Rythmik is the only company that has a DIY servo sub. It just happens to be a damn good one too. Non servo are to slow and sloppy. Look at any big player and you will see they use a servo sub . Martin Logan did so in their Statements. Velodyne does with their designs.

Roger Sanders has his own thoughts and I disagree with many. I have had a few Transmission Line Subs and speakers. They sound well with cones but are much to slow and bloaty for a full range ESL. DCM made a great speaker back in the early 90 called the Time Window 3 that was TL design and it was warm and boomy, I know I had it. Show me a TL designed sub that has any merit. Roger uses his for a mid bass - sub.

Bass is just that Bass. It should not be present in the sound but rather there if you take it away.

The new design will have a new cabinet with a new stand and face to match the CLS design. It will look like a mini CLS.

Preview PIC.

Attachments

• img098 (Small).jpg
    img098 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 436
A few more with the box done and the face done . I'm just testing the saddle and the feet before I finalize the paint work on them. This is Hard rock maple stand that seems to work great with the sub as it stops most vibrations and is sold is a rock (Pun Intended) . I will be painting them with a matching textured paint to match the powder coat of the CLS stands.

Attachments

• S6300710 (Small).JPG
    S6300710 (Small).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 426
  • S6300715 (Small).JPG
    S6300715 (Small).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 436
Sub

Nice sub bro, Now... what's it sound like off the floor? And where'd you get that perf? Jus' wondering, Steve

Thanks. Its still being dialed in. I think being off the floor with the maple stands(Being painted as we speak) has given it a more precise image . The Perf is from a old pair of Quest speakers.

Full details will be posted when finished !

You know how to contact me Bob. I'm actually looking at a few new designs that my be of tower type. I'm waiting the new amp from Rythmik to be released.
It will be much more powerful and may include multi drivers!

Nice setup - I have a pair of Original CLS Panels I bought for repair, and trying to revive them with new mylar, bias ring, etc, along with my own Interface...I really like your panel frames - did you build them? I just have oak rails along side to hold my panels up - works ok for testing.... I eventually want to build my own frames and would appreciate knowing how you built yours (if you did build them)

I am experimenting with mylar, coatings, and interface components to see if I can build something as good as the original CLS...getting close!

Also, let me know if your selling your old CLS panels - no need to have them rot away in the basement - I will put them to good use....and start a new CLS Panel Revival thread here...

SYSTEM update

The new room in progress and the new Odyssey's in position ready to spike.. The room was a make over and complete new paint and re flooring with wood.. I am running my KSA 100s into a 5 disc Yamaha CD changer for now while my KPS unit gets refreshed innards.. Its the only way for now as it has a Volume control and I can hook it direct.. Its actually really not bad. It is the kid who was born to poor parents and gets his chance to sing with a star, and sing it is.. Its taking its stage and playing well for what it is..

Racks and stands are being made but holidays have me slowed now.. Digital servers are in my future as its the way of the future ..More to come :rocker:

Nice little setup with your Odysseys. I would love to hear mine in a smaller room like yours. It appears that my wall behind the speakers is about five feet or so larger and and then opens up to an open floorplan. It poses many challenges, one being bass response. The addition of the Decent i is a huge advantage with no current wall treatments. It's all getting ready to change in the next few months, though.
It's encouraging to read your assessment of the Odysseys, it gives me hope and I can't wait to dial everything in.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Room size is why I changed my mind from Prodigy's to Odyssey's ..Bass is fantastic. BEST I have heard from a ML with no sub.. I have two subs here that are not gonna see any two Chanel action.. Wall treatments are not gonna happen but corner tubes are .. The rack of albums are not there just to hold but rather dual duty as a defractor.. They are arranged in a opposing directions.. It does well to not blur the center image .. What is my bane is the right side of the speaker opens up to another section of the HT section.. So positioning is real tricky

Latest posts

Back