Monster Powered Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has auditioned any high-powered SS amps (>=250 wpc) with the Logans. To me personally, it is hard to beat the dynamics of a high powered amp, even with the new generation Logans.

Some products that come to mind:

Sanders
CJ Premier 350 (Jeff's reference)
McCormack DNA 500
Ayre Monoblocks
BAT 600
Mac 402
Plinius SB 301
Misical Fidelity KW 750

Please add others to the list. Also, if you have done A/B tests, please post your thoughts or comments.

Thanks

I am using a Krell FPB 700cx with my Summits. It really makes them sing!

The extra power just makes them perform effortlessly. I was at first sceptical if it was overkill having that much power for just the panels. However I have found that the Logans still enjoy being fed by a powerful amplifier.

Pass Labs X350.5, provides GREAT performance with the Logan’s! I find it has control, authority, weight, tightness, resolution, detail, dynamics and outstanding stage imaging which my Odysseys will attest too. I don’t think you can go wrong with this beast of an amp @ 150lb :music:

hific.jpg

Last edited:
My reQuests are paired with Krell 650m's. Originally I had been running 250m's and thought it couldnt get much better, but its amazing what more power (current in the case of electrostatics) can do for you.

Tj

Still waiting for the Sanders amps, fortunately they are busy filling orders, so that's good! But anxious to hear it.

Have lived with the DNA 500 for quite a while. Good amp, not as detailed or smooth as the premier 350, but a lot less money, so a good trade. Interestingly enough, though it's rated a lot more power, it will not play as loud or effortlessly as the 350.

All the Mac stuff is decent but a bit warmer. Got a pair of 1201's on the way, so curious to see how they work, not to mention those big cool meters!

Have used the BAT 600 and it's great too. A bit more forward, very dynamic. Probably right smack in the middle of the PASS amp and the CJ, tonally speaking.

The Ayre Monos are quite good too, but around 20k a pair, also the Moon Audio monos are excellent, again around 20k a pair.

A lot of it will probably be determined by what the flavor of your front end is and what you ultimately enjoy most.

All the ones on your list are quite good...

I like the warmer McIntosh "house sound" which the MC252 - 250 watt per channel provides. I compared it to the mac 402 and didn't hear enough difference between these two amps to upgrade. The MC252 amp has plenty of power. I am very happy with my selection. No buyers remorse.
Jim

Try if you can to hear a counterpoint SA 220 with at least a basic rebuild from Mike Elliot. It is working very well indeed with my recently acquired CLS(the original). this is a powerful neutral very controlled, highly musical amp, 200 watts into 8 ohms roughly double that into 4 ohms. you can find a stock sa20 used for 600 to 800 bucks then about 1600 for the rebuild. It is incredible value for the money.

Bryston 14BSST and previously Sunfire Signature II....running CLSZ2...I find the Bryston as completely neutral in presentation. I could not tell it versus a Halcro double blinded! The Sunfire is the one of the best non tube amps that is designed to sound like a tube amp IMHO...similar to the big MAC's.:music:

Have powered the Monoliths with KSA 150, auditioned Krell 300c, Classe 400 and our amplifiers of the last few years Plinius SA102 as monoblocs with 460 W per side. Speakers just soak up more high current power in particular giving greater resolution and soundstage at low volumes and greater dynamic contrast. I find this is where greater power reserves makes the biggest difference as we rarely run the speakers much more than 80 dB average.

Kevin

I currently listen to my Ascents with 200 watts (MC207); however, I don't think I'm getting all that I could out of them and more power plus another pre-amp would take them to the next level. I will probably replace them with Summits before I make amp/pre upgrade though. As to more power, I've listened to Summits with both an MC402 as well as a pair of MC501s. The difference between the two was quite remarkable. With the 501s, it was as if a veil was removed with the music just became much more open and relaxed sounding. Very pleasing to my ear. :music:

Pass Labs X350.5, provides GREAT performance with the Logan’s! I find it has control, authority, weight, tightness, resolution, detail, dynamics and outstanding stage imaging which my Odysseys will attest too. I don’t think you can go wrong with this beast of an amp @ 150lb :music:

hific.jpg

THAT is a thing of absolute beauty..... and I'm sure it sounds as sweet as it looks.

I love my X250.. :music:

I'm using Clayton M-200'a and love them. I will make a special deal for someone....I will get the M-300's. :D:D

I feel that these amps blow away my Pass that it replaced. and I LOVED it. That's how good these things are IMO.

I'm currently (or was until it recently smoked an output transitor last week) running my Ascents w/a JS modded 250wpc Threshold S/500 II.

This amp controls the Ascents a/authority (I run a Velodyn DD-12 for deep bass). Bass is rich and full at any volume and the panels sing. There is no replacement for_quality_power

I've got a Threshold 400A (100wpc Class A) coming this weekend to sub for the wounded S/500 as I send it back to JS for repair.

Once it comes back, I'm planning to bi-amp the S/500 to the woofers and run the 400A to the panels. Should be interesting to say the least~!!

I had a Carver Lightstar reference 300 watts at 8 ohm. Wish I did not have to sell it. The carver lightstar has Krell like bass and so much head room it was sick. If things go well I will have a CJ premier 350 in 2 months. The Monoliths need way more power than the CJ MV60 can offer.

I'm running my original model Sequels with a pair of Carver Silver 7t monoblocks (575wpc @ 8ohms), and they sound delightful. I read the Stereophile review of the same conbination by Lewis Lipnick in 1990 (actually it was a review of the Carver Silver 7t's, but he was running Sequels as his speaker in the setup) and I just could not believe how scathing he was. I'm convinced that either Mr. Lipnick had some bad components in his setup, or he has a personal vendetta against Bob Carver (well, I'm pretty much convinced it's the second choice)...

Lipnick is a musician for the NSO in Washington DC (or he was at that time) and his gig with Stereophile was essentially just a sideline that allowed him to audition a lot of high-end gear. I have no doubt he actually CAN hear--he's a professional classical musician--but his review of that amp was bordering on the psychotic in terms of it's venom for Bob Carver and this amp in particular.

At the time I lived in Northern VA, and I ran into Mr. Lipnick at a Myer Emco store, during a Demo of B&W's monstrous flagship speakers, and I asked him about his review. He refused to discuss it. I gave him my phone # and address and invited him to come and listen to my rig, and never heard from him. He seemed rather agitated when I asked him why he hated Bob Carver in front of a store full of people...

Almost 20 years later, I'm still running Sequels with Silver 7t's, and they still sound fantastic. How many other brands can you say that about? I mean really, how many other SS amps are still kicking butt with grace and authority after nearly 20 years of use with a speaker as demanding as a Martin Logan Sequel?...

--Richard

I had a Carver Lightstar reference 300 watts at 8 ohm. Wish I did not have to sell it. The carver lightstar has Krell like bass and so much head room it was sick. If things go well I will have a CJ premier 350 in 2 months. The Monoliths need way more power than the CJ MV60 can offer.

Cherain,

I should really bring up the new Sanders mono blocks for you to try. 800w at 8ohms. The Summits really sing now. They are probably a good match for your new Monoliths.

--burke

I am running a Gryphon DM100 with my Summits. This is a very high current pure class A 100w amplifier.

I used the amp previously with Quests and they were much much better than the the Classe 25 that they replaced.

I haven't read of anyone on the site using a Gryphon so perhaps it is not available in the USA, but it is really a great amp.

My model is about 10 years old but there are newer models which should be checked out if available.

Although it is no Pass x350 which is the best sounding amp I heard so far on my Quests, I bought a Parasound Halo A21 for 1800, retails $2K and delivers 250 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. This amp can compete with amps twice the price and sounds nearly as good for the money spent. I use the halo bi-wired into my quests (new panels) and is good for now. Until I get myself the Pass ;)

Back