System #236 (Vista, Motif, Dynamo, Vignette)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Member Name: Tim

ML Model: Source (Now Vistas), Motif (focus), Vignette (fresco), and Dynamo (SVS PB-12NSD -> dual descent i)

Year Purchased: 2005-current

Mods/Changes - None

Associated Electronics:

Power Conditioning: Monster Home Theatre Reference HTS 2600 MKII PowerCenter

Receiver: Denon AVR-2807 (Now Denon AVR-3808 -> anthem Mrx 720)

Amplifier: Rotel RB-1080 (Now Sunfire Cinema Grand 200w x 5 channels)

CD/DVD player: Denon 1910 (Denon 2930 -> oppo 103)/Toshiba HD-A3/(Added Samsung BD-2550 for Blu ray)

Cabling: Nordost Blue Heaven (speakers), Monster 1000 THX (component and optical) (Now Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Blue Jeans HDMI and 12 gage for the rear speakers).

Projector: Benq PB6100 / screen: Da-Lite 72" fixed frame (Sharp XVZ-3000 720p / Sharp 92" fixed frame -> Optima UHD65 / Da-Lite 120” fixed frame).

Gaming: Regular Xbox loaded with ATARI, MASTER SYSTEM, NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64 / Wii / Xbox 360

Rear Surround: Monitor Audio B2 (Vignettes -> fresco / Helios 100)

Room Size 11' x 14' with a 9' ceiling -> House in 14' x 18' with 8' ceiling in basement -> house with 14’ x 21’ x 9’ ceiling

Comments or Stories - I was able to turn an extra bedroom into my listing/home theater room. This all started when I was able to land a part time job with a licensed dealer, and a few upgrades later I believe I have a pretty solid system. The first day I came in for work, my boss put up the second Matrix movie connected to ML, lexicon, and mark levinson audio gear (WOW, I was blown away).

Update - Since joining this site I have been on an all out upgrade spree (See bold). Source, Receiver, Amp, Mains, Rears, etc. It has been great and I believe every change has left a sonic signature for the better. The next step will be moving into a new house and giving all this equipment room to breath. There will be plenty more pictures from the new room.

Update 2011 - Moved into the new house and have started the rough setup. The acoustic panel project was excellent and has really helped to tame my basement theater. Other then that, only small placement changed as I feel pretty content with the setup.

Update 2018 - Wow, real life and three kids will change a man. That dedicated system quickly became a family theater. Building a new house and hoping to do things right from the ground up, still all ML.

D0631450-A747-494F-B257-49205F7F5012.jpg

Attachments

• ML 004.jpg
    ML 004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,564
  • pannels2.jpg
    pannels2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,536
  • theater1.jpg
    theater1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,543
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,514
Last edited:
Not a bad place, it is nice to have all 4 seaons here. The Packer game broke my heart but I will take the Pats going 18-1 and losing the Super Bowl. Also, thanks for resizing my picture.

Nice setup. I used to have a Denon Reciever as well and it was very good to me. Enjoy and post some more pics if you get time.:D

Nice system.

Do you run the center speaker on the receiver?

Yes, but I just purchased a Sunfire Cinema Grand (200 X 5) and will be using that from now on to power the center. I think it should be a big improvement over the denon receiver, which wasn't bad to due to the fronts having an amp to work with. I also just purchased a bunch of 12 inch by 12 inch acoustic panels and will be setting that up. I will update the pics as the changes are made.

Yes, but I just purchased a Sunfire Cinema Grand (200 X 5) and will be using that from now on to power the center. I think it should be a big improvement over the denon receiver, which wasn't bad to due to the fronts having an amp to work with. I also just purchased a bunch of 12 inch by 12 inch acoustic panels and will be setting that up. I will update the pics as the changes are made.

I had a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature (425 x 5) a couple og months ago.
:bowdown:

Angry at myself for selling it...
I used it with a Sunfire Theater Grand IV processor.

Today the only thing i have left of my Sunfire equipment is a Sunfire Vacuum tube preamp. :(

Just an update from the last time I posted.

Upgrades:

CD/DVD: Moved from the Denon 1910 to Denon 2930CI.

Amp: Moved from the Rotel RB-1080 (200w x 2) up to the Sunfire Cinema Grand (200w x 5, thanks to Alan).

Treatments: Picked up a load of 12 inch x 12 inch acoustic foam panels and started experimenting on the front. The sides and rear to follow.

I can imagine there will be more to come.

Attachments

• panels1.jpg
    panels1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,827
Lookin' good! :rocker:

I've always been dubious re the merits of acoustic foam (vs. products using rock wool or fiberglass). What improvements, if any, have you noticed?

While I can't compare apples to apples, the foam versus the hard walls I had in the room is a positive change. It tamed a bit of the high frequency problems I had during movies (biggest change I was looking for). I also like the studio look it gives to the room.

Thanks for the photos... Looks a lot like my front wall right now, although I've narrowed it down to about half of what you have there. I bought a studio package of foam panels by Auralex from Musicians Friend and have been experimenting with my Vistas and Depth i. Moving speakers back and forth, changing toe in, more panels, less panels, corner blocks, moving furniture around. Little adjustments can make a lot of difference. One thing I did once I had a good idea of where to place the speakers was I found a place that makes custom granite counter tops and found some nice 16X16" 3/4" granite slabs out back and paid $10 a piece, put some car wax on the smooth side. They look great and make a good sounding platform for the speakers with the energy transfer spikes. The spikes really tighten the overall sound and attack.

Looks good. It should help some, but it is only a partial solution. While the foam does help tame liveliness and high frequency reflections, unfortunately it does little to dampen midrange and upper bass reflections. Your electrostatic panel is sending an acoustical rear wave that goes from 500 hz. on up. So your imaging is still going to be hampered by reflections off the front and side walls in the range from 500 hz. up to whatever frequency your panels start absorbing at.

I ended up taking all the paneling down and making a nice looking pattern on the wall in the room for aesthetics (due to the fact didn't sound very good in front). rich was right, the panels gave an unnatural sound to vocals (like someone had a cold). I am just going to have to deal until we get out of the apartment atmosphere. Good news though, I have sold my ML Sources and will have a brand new pair of Vistas by this time next week! I just fell in love with the look and had to make the move. I am also thinking of moving to the Denon 3808CI so I can take advantage of the Denon link between the 2930 and 3808. Quite an everchanging world that I live in.

Last edited:
Made a few updates on my first post. I am moving into a house in about 2 months so this is just a quick update of the last setup in the apartment. Just picked up Vistas, Denon AVR-3808, and Vignettes and life is good. I can't wait to have some space and do a more permanent setup.

Attachments

• vistas.jpg
    vistas.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,439
New House!!!

My wife and I finally moved into our new house and started to get everything in order. She let me pull away over the weekend and start my music/theater project. All my equipement is behind the wall in the extra room closet ran by RF. Now, I am just looking to clean everything up, paint the front and probably side walls, change that terrible looking white blind over the window, and put up some DIY acoustic panels. Here are a few pics of how it looks so far (system has come a long way since my pair of ML Sources). As you can see from the second picture, my cat is also an audiophile.

Attachments

• theater1.jpg
    theater1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 617
  • theater2.jpg
    theater2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Updated theater

Added some flat black paint to the front walls and completed a DIY panel project. I was able to create 6 - 2 foot by 4 foot with panels with the acoustic insulation, wood, and speaker cloth. I used the old foam panels from before to create traps in the corners by layering them together. The theater sounds better then I have ever remembered. The depth, clarity, and imaging is something that brought a smile to my face for the first time since unpacking my first pair of panels. When set up right, ML speakers are money well spent.

Attachments

• panelfront.jpg
    panelfront.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 551
  • panelback.jpg
    panelback.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
New paint and setup

New paint and setup to make the place look more like a theater

Attachments

• screenfront.JPG