Your Favorite "Ivory Tickler"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Now that my 'Favorite Three Jazz Instrument' thread has run its course, it shows the one instrument that is on almost everyones list is...... Piano !

So with that being determined who might be your three favorite pianist's

Mine.....

1) BeeGie Adair
2) Peter Nero
3) Olga Kern

I know it's tough naming just three !

Earl Wild playing Rachmaninoff: Hey, think of it as very early jazz!

The one I've listened to the most, and will forever be my favorite was my Dad.

He was a Julliard grad concert pianist, and we had a lovely Steinway grand in the living room as I grew up.

I know every note of Rachmaninoff’s 2nd and most of the romantic repertoire by heart. Sort of a problem, as I hear any slight mistake when someone plays these pieces.

My favorite recording artist on piano has to be Yevgeny Kissin. What a master. I buy each and every disc he releases.

Some of my favorites have already been listed, but these three are also way up there...

Warren Bernhardt
Dave Brubeck
Jacky Terrasson

How could I forget the one and only Bill Evans?

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more great players come to mind. It's so hard to limit to just three! Here are some others that I think could really play...

Joe Sample
Wynton Kelly
Herbie Han****
Red Garland
Chick Corea

I think most of these guys played with Miles Davis at one time or another.

Note: The asterisks were added by the system. Herbie Hanc*ck.

Last edited:
So many pianists, do little time.

Jazz Pianists:

Monk
Bill Evans
Duke Ellington
Fats Waller

Classical Pianists:

Rubenstein
Van Cliburn
Malcolm Billson (Fortepiano)

Oscar Peterson
McCoy Tyner
Joe Sample
Gene Harris
Art Tatum
Bill Evans
Herbie Han****
Ramsey Lewis.

You see, I love jazz piano. I enjoy Oscar Peterson and McCoy Tyner more than any others from the "classic jazz" era, and Joe Sample from this era, though his recordings are erratic.

A special mention should be given to Art Tatum. If you haven't heard him before, just check him out. Don't read any bios or anything else, just listen.

Oh man, my kind of thread! All of my recordings are categorized into 6 cd books (I throw away all the jewel boxes), one of which is dedicated to only solo classical keyboard. Some of my favorites have already been listed above, so I'll throw out some fav's that are so far unmentioned.

classical pianist + stuff I like by them:
Martha Argerich (Chopin, most stuff)
Vladimir Ashkenazy (Bartok, Shostakovich)
Alicia de Larrocha (Albeniz, anything Spanish Impressionist, actually anything)
Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (almost anything, extremely unique sound)
Sviatoslav Richter (Shostakovich, Beethoven)

Harpsichordists:
Pierre Hantai (Scarlatti, Bach, Anything)
Scott Ross (Bach)
Davitt Moroney (Bach)

Jazz (real favorites underlined)
Geri Allen
Kenny Barron
Jaki Byard
Keith Jarrett
Andrew Hill
Brad Mehldau
Horace Silver
Mal Waldron

:D

Wilhelm Kempff for Beethoven
Murray Perahia for Schubert. I have heard him in concert several times, and he is superb. The last time he played a bunch of mostly Bach (not my cup of tea as I find Bach too emotionless), but for an encore he played Schubert's famous serenade ("Standchen"); that alone was worth the price of admission. It is available on CD, which I have.

Last edited:
Gents, Thanks for all the great replies ! While I know quite a few of the pianist's that you speak, I'm 'Googling' the others so as check them out further.

FWIW, it was the piano that convinced me to purchase my Logans, for I believe nothing in or near their price range produces that instrument as well as M/L !

Great Selections

Surprised noones mentioned George Winston.

I was just listening to George Winston on Friday night. I'll mention Marcus Roberts as well, since he hasn't come up yet. One of the "young lions" of the classic jazz revival.

I was just listening to George Winston on Friday night. I'll mention Marcus Roberts as well, since he hasn't come up yet. One of the "young lions" of the classic jazz revival.

And I'll add Jamie Cullum as well.

My vote goes to Pat Metheny's long time partner Lyle Mays:musicnote:

Thanks JonFo !! Good recomendation !

Per Jonathan's recomendation I purchased two recordings featuring Evgeny Kissin, the young Russian pianist. With the help of my 40% off coupon from Borders these two were very reasonable !

The Chopin CD along with my favorite bottle of Bourdeux help make for a great Valentines dinner !

Attachments

• 51num1ltRVL__AA240_.jpg
    51num1ltRVL__AA240_.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 51uhB3KBkjL__AA240_.jpg
    51uhB3KBkjL__AA240_.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 79
Back