Thread: Dave Bruebeck - Time Out

Default Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Artist - Dave Brubeck
    Title - Time Out
    Year of Release - 1959
    Record Label - Legacy Recordings
    Genre - Jazz

This is one of the all time greats. I'm sure you have heard it. If you haven't your missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truely breath taking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TomDac; 04-05-2005 at 10:28 PM.

I agree and I have the album too!!!

Great Album, Give the SACD version a try.
    Has both 2 channel and surround sound versions on the disc!
    Click Here To See System #104
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks

Default 45rpm LP Version

And for even another step up the audio food chain give a listen the 45rpm LP version, 4 LP's single side pressings. Astounding dynamics. Magical.

Quote Originally Posted by timztunz View Post
    And for even another step up the audio food chain give a listen the 45rpm LP version, 4 LP's single side pressings. Astounding dynamics. Magical.
    This is the ultimate pressing of this jazz classic. It makes every other reissue sound flat and lifeless (hyperbole, I know) but to hear this is to hear the ultimate version.
    See my system here

Gentlemen,

I have heard this recording on cd before and then read this thread about 3 weeks ago. Well since then I have purchased the Dave Brubeck "Time Out" 4lp 45rpm set and I must say the results are absolutely amazing. I am very happy I came across this thread. thanks!
    ML Electromotion , LSA Statement Amp modded by Exemplar Audio, AMR CD-77.1 Modded by Avatar Acoustics, Sono's Server.
    CLX System -Sold System
    Vantage 5.1 System - Sold System

If you like this album, get your hands on the Brubeck Live from Carnegie Hall. This cd is better musically. Some of the improvisation is insane. The recording is pretty stellar also, considering it is 50 years old.

Default Check out QSF Plays Brubeck

For those who love Brubeck and strings, check out Quartet San Francisco plays Brubeck. It's an audiophile recording. And it was praised by Brubeck himself.

Default The Duets

If you get the chance, look around for the album The Duets, it was just Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond alone.

The LP is great, there is also a 24 bit/96 kHz remastered cd which has more detail on it than my 'normal' cd of the same, you can her Paul's breathing and pads on the sax, even Dave's piano chair creaking!

The album is very special, my #2 after Time Out.

Fjeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Krazikiwi; 02-17-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Michell Gyrodec, SME 309 & V, EAD DAC & Transport, Sony XA777ES SACD, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Jeff Rowland Consummate pre amp & 2x phonos with 2x Model 8 power amps, ML Quest z's virtically bi-amped. Cardas Hexlink Golden 5-C balanced.
    JRDG System Sony 5.1 HIFI & HT System
    Burmester System QUAD System

WARDS WEB

Excellent CHOICE!

As a stereo guy, other than the older Mark Levinson recordings, I feel Time Out is of the best albums out there where we really feel the room/space the recording took place in. What an amazingly live sounding yet intimate recording.

As a musician (drummer) when I was learning my craft in the early 70s, Take Five, and Blue Rondo were my introduction to non 4/4 time signatures, hence this album always has been a very special one for me. Every time I hear Blue Rondo my brains clicks into 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 3 counting mode. (For me, it is much easier to count the 9/8 in Blue Rondo at 12 12 12 123 that to count 123456789).

During the song Take Five I wonder where in your listening room everyone else that listens to speakers made of saran wrap hears Joe Morello's drums coming from?

Again, great choice Wards Web.

Awesome album. I too, have an LP that dates back to about 1964.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Very cool, but I've already got three different versions of Time Out. Do I really need another??? The Brubeck Desmond album looks more interesting to me.
    - Steve You got fins to the left, fins to the right...Wilson WP8, Pass Labs XA-100.5, Pass Labs XP-20, BAT PK-V5, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, TTW GEM V2, K&K Audio Premium SUT, VPI 16.5 & Keith Monks Discovery One record cleaners, MacMini (on Spatial Isoplane), JRiver, Ayre QB-9 DSD, X-CAN V-3, Sennheiser HD-535 (on Woo Audio stand), Adona Racks, SRA amp bases, PS Audio PPP, Mogami w/ Neutrik XLRs, Douglas speaker cable, GIK treatments, Shunyata Venom Defenders.