View Poll Results: Have you had a late-night listening session

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 96.00%
  • No idea about what you are talking.....

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you had a late-night listening session?

Default Have you had a late-night listening session?

Have you had a late-night listening session. Specifically, a listening session that starts early in the evening and just continues into the wee hours of the morning because your system just keeps sounding better and better.

There are many explainations for this -

* The power gets cleaner
    * There are less vibrations from heavy machinery
    * Most likely - the human ear gets more and more sensitive at night as hearing takes over from sight as our primary sense.

It may be a combination of the above and more. Regardless - I've certainly had many instances where I just listen and listen into the night. Have you?
    Last edited by amey01; 01-18-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    Have you had a late-night listening session. Specifically, a listening session that starts early in the evening and just continues into the wee hours of the morning because your system just keeps sounding better and better.

There are many explainations for this -

* The power gets cleaner
    * There are less vibrations from heavy machinery
    * Most likely - the human ear gets more and more sensitive at night as hearing takes over from sight as our primary sense.

It may be a combination of the above and more. Regardless - I've certainly had many instances where I just listen and listen into the night. Have you?
    At late night and early morning, the Industries are not working, so you have cleaner A.C. line...in other words, you have less contamination at the A.C. mains. These make also our system to be cleaner...also, the warmer the system gets, the warmer the sound is...you are right with your comments too. Hearing music is one thing, and listening to the musician(s) making music in our system is the other thing. Martin Logan is capable to do this, as we all know!...so happy listening, and wish you a very happy sunrise!,
    Roberto.

Plenty
    Usually this happens when the air is thick with marijuana smoke
    Click Here To See System #104
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    Have you had a late-night listening session.
    Is there any other kind?
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Quote Originally Posted by theWB View Post
    Plenty
    uhm, a friend brought over some, for old time's sake, and we were staring at lp and cd and dvd covers for more than an hour, unable to choose what to listen to or watch. finally we decided to go out and have a drink instead!

to the poll question, yeah, i wish i could stay awake longer at night for listening sessions at that time.

sunday afternoon, i find, is a somewhat parallel experience.

Oh , YES late night is the best time ! Wasnt it Robert Redford that said " Its 4 in the morning and I don't know any one "

I do get the best sound it seems at night , and I do think those all make sense, as my system sounds best to me !

Or it could be the Alcohol !
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

good power conditioning will eliminate the need to stay up late to get the good sound.

Fortunately, I'm listening about 8-12 hours a day, so by 9am, my system is warmed up and ready to go....

Absloutely, because everyone goes to bed and it gets nice and quiet. I'm still not sure if I believe the "cleaner AC" thing, but it does make sense.
    Very early in the morning is the same, before everyone gets up.
    WTL Amadeus TT>Ortofon Rondo Red Cart>Klyne 6PE Phono Pre>Twin Audio Sinfonia Preamp>DIY WECO 2A3 DHT SET Amp, Quicksilver M60 PP Mono Amps>DIY Ponginae P99 Speakers all up on the 18' x 12' Poop Deck

Quote Originally Posted by theWB View Post
    Plenty
    I HOPE not anywhere near your 'logans!!
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Quote Originally Posted by sebrof2000 View Post
    Absloutely, because everyone goes to bed and it gets nice and quiet. I'm still not sure if I believe the "cleaner AC" thing, but it does make sense.
    Very early in the morning is the same, before everyone gets up.
    I think it's more of a biological thing really - the ear takes over as the primary sense at night. It's more acute and more receptive to what is going into it.

My thoughts only......I just don't believe that AC line noise could:
    1: be that better at night
    2: even if it was, that AC noise would have that much effect on a properly designed component (on the end of a power conditioner).

I can't do late night listening.... otherwise, I wake the neighbors.
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Smile late night is the best time to listen for me

I prefer to listen in the dark at night at moderate levels 80-85db at the listening position.

Late night, sure...

Late night is when you hear:

Faucett dripping...
    Refrigerator running...
    One dog barking...
    etc...

If you hear (and notice) those things you hear (and notice) more in the playback.

I think (besides your own physical changes that may occur late night) that the reduction in background noise is a prominent factor. It's the blacker background.

Late night I can just get lost in the music.

Daytime is more for casual or background listening.

Super User

I love to listen into the night and the more beer I drink the better my speakers sound

Super User

Night time is the right time!

My Sunday morning music is usually until around 4:00 am.