Impressive Integra

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj Bassi

Reaction score
I sat in on an audition of the Integra 9.8 yesterday; first time I'd seen one let alone had the chance to demo. Quite impressive....balanced outputs, lossless over HDMI, Audyssey room correction, even a phono input (!) Having walked into the demo a little late I wasnt shown the equipment rack until later in the evening after we'd gone thru a few discs and a handful of movie clips. From the sound quality I would have guessed they were running a fairly high-end processor. My buddy had once mentioned upgrading to a Lexicon and I guessed he had done that. Wrong! The Integra is definitely an impressive pre/pro......and lists for around TEN times less than my Casablanca :eek:

Has anyone else here spent any time with the Integra? It is my understanding that it is similiar to one of the Onkyo processors but I havent confirmed which one, or how similiar.

Tj

Kal Rubinson gave a review of the Integra 9.8 in the January Stereophile Music in the Round column where he said something to the effect that when he combined it with the Oppo DC-980H via HDMI it gave him some of the best multichannel sound he has heard. He also said that the analoge inputs were not as good as the Cary or other more expensive pre-pro's, but he was well pleased with the sound from the HDMI bitstream inputs.

I've been sort of following what is said about this unit becuase I am seriously thinking about getting one. I currently use a Sony EP9ES for movies, and a Sony TA-P9000ES for SACD's into an Outlaw ICBM for bass management. Not to mention the separate DVD, and SACD players. I desparately need to simplify things in the equipment rack. :eek: The Integra seems like a good possibility.

Chuck

That’s front wheel drive correct?
eval.gif

My impressions run the same with the DTR-7.8 receiver, which I am seriously considering as a replacement for my dying unit in our family room.The price to performance ratio is quite good, IMO.

I have been eyeing the 9.8 too....good dealer accomodation makes it mucho bettero, but its a nice unit for what it does and how flexible it is. Im starting to lean towards Integra products more these days....I used to be a full on Denon guy, but the Integra stuff is much more CI friendly. :)

I put on on order today (before reading this thread). Glad to hear that you like it, and it compares favourably with the sound of much higher priced units.

Mine will not arrive at the store till at least Monday, and I will not have the new amps till late next week anyway. Will be sure to report back when I have mine up and running.

Has anyone else here spent any time with the Integra? It is my understanding that it is similiar to one of the Onkyo processors but I havent confirmed which one, or how similiar.

Tj

Integra is an Onkyo brand aimed at the customer installer. In other countries the Integra DTC-9.8 is called the Onkyo 855. It is a better build, but very feature similar to the Onkyo 875 receiver (minus the amplifiers).

Another review can be found here. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/processor-receiver-product-reviews/ssps/integra-dtc-9.8-thx-ultra2-7.1-ssp.html

I just got the Denon 3808CI, very similar spec'd as the Integra, including Audyssey MultiEQ XT, but it also includes CAT5 input for streaming music, and firmware updates. I'm still monkeying with the setup, but quite impressed with it's sound in surround mode, and even as a two-channel pre/pro. There's a loooong discussion about Audyssey on AVForum here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421, and a new thread comparing the Denon's and Integra here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12855844

Bottom line is this latest group of A/V receivers, though not necessarily "audiophile grade" come pretty darn close!

Correction... just realized the 9.8 is a pure Pre/Pro (not a receiver since NO internal amps). The Denon **08 series are all receivers, but they are expected to release their pure Pre/Pro beast later this year (see post... http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=50634&postcount=1)

I'm having a hard time deciding if I prefer my Denon 3808 with the Audyssey invoked in "pure direct" mode over my Modwright Pre. The Audyssey EQ does a superb job flattening out my room response, but it definitely lack the musicality of tubes. I'll probably set up the system so I can swap back and forth depending on my listening mood.

I have the Integra 9.8. I'm running balanced interconnects from my Benchmark DAC1 to the 9.8, and then from the 9.8 to my Parasound A21 amp. Having tried a few 2ch preamps in my system before buying the 9.8, I have to say that performance-wise it doesn't quite match up, but does produce very good sound.

When factoring in the price, however, I believe the 9.8 is in a league by itself. I will be providing more comments on this exceptional piece in a separate thread.

I think I want one, I think I want one. :confused:

I love the features, though if you read the Integra 9.8 forum on AVS, they may not always work in the way you want them to. But in the end it's the sound quality that matters.

I am using Sony TA-P9000ES multichannel preamp and an Outlaw ICBM with either a Sony CDP-555ES (SACD Changer) for multichannel or a Sony DVP-9000ES for stereo CD and SACD and with the 9000ES DVD player as the source, I feel the sound is really outstanding and I don't want to sacrifice any of that in the name of convienence. However, the stack of components and wires drives my wife crazy, so if I can consolidate, that would be a good thing.

asindc...Have you tried digital going directly into the Integra bypassing the Benchmark to see how it sounds that way? I know the Benchmark is a pretty good DAC, but it would be interesting to see how the DAC's in the Integra stack up.

I would pick up one of the Oppo do everything Disc players and run the HDMI bitstream directly to the Integra if the sound uisng the digital portion is good enough. Neither of my Sony players will output a DSD bitstream, but the Oppo will.

Cheers,

Chuck

General consensus is that the Integra fairs well in the digital realm but only so-so with the analog inputs. I am hoping to get more time in with one this weekend, maybe even drag my TT along for the test.
Hardware-wise it seems like a great value for the price.

Tj

General consensus is that the Integra fairs well in the digital realm but only so-so with the analog inputs. I am hoping to get more time in with one this weekend, maybe even drag my TT along for the test.
Hardware-wise it seems like a great value for the price.

Tj

Agreed. I would only use it for HT, and if I obtained it, Id also get a 2-ch pre with pass-thru. However, I am still in a holding pattern to see if I can spin off the 2-ch, in which case the Integra would be feeding much more affordable bookshelves of a different brand.

However, a well experienced member here finds that the Integras don't match very well with Logans. You might find him posting in the Denon thread. :D

I wish the NAD T-175 had the ability to unpack lossless codecs, but nope. I even e-mailed them, and the response I eventually received cited no imminent plans to implement them. The Denon is too much for my blood. And my BD player only bitstreams the advanced codecs.

Or I could go real cheap, and get an Onkyo 705. *shrugs*

asindc...Have you tried digital going directly into the Integra bypassing the Benchmark to see how it sounds that way? I know the Benchmark is a pretty good DAC, but it would be interesting to see how the DAC's in the Integra stack up.

I would pick up one of the Oppo do everything Disc players and run the HDMI bitstream directly to the Integra if the sound uisng the digital portion is good enough. Neither of my Sony players will output a DSD bitstream, but the Oppo will.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

I have my Oppo 970HD hooked up via HDMI to the 9.8 for DVD playback. When I first set it all up, I toggled back and forth between the DVD input and CD input. The sound through HDMI was more robust, but less musical. So I now only use the DVD input for DVDs, and the occasional SACD or DVD-A. Though many people would argue that I'm only imagining a quieter background with the balanced inputs from the Benchmark, that's my experience. I'm a firm believer in going all balanced connections if possible.

BTW, the Benchmark is a remarkable piece. I recomemend it as highly as anything I've ever had in my system.

Anthony

However, a well experienced member here finds that the Integras don't match very well with Logans. You might find him posting in the Denon thread. :D

*shrugs*

This unit is only a pre/pro so I dont see how it would/would not 'match' with any particular speaker....

Tj

This unit is only a pre/pro so I dont see how it would/would not 'match' with any particular speaker....

Tj

Harsh sounding to some. Inferiority of the analog section compared to most/all brands ever discussed here. I still would love to have one though. :D

Most people who changed out their hi-end gear for one have been missing their ol' quality 2-ch playback. And not just ML owners, there are a few over at AVS who are experiencing the same thing.

I guess advanced codecs will give greater detail. I've been told the analog section provides the separation and dynamics.

Then again, subjective opinions. It is still a concern of mine. I'd still take a 9.8 in a heartbeat.

Most people who changed out their hi-end gear for one have been missing their ol' quality 2-ch playback. And not just ML owners, there are a few over at AVS who are experiencing the same thing.

Thats why I asked for another demo of my buddies Integra. He's not a two channel guy but said I could bring my own source and material along for fun.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll even drag over my Pioneer RT1020 reel to reel. Open mag tape can put on quite a performance with the right gear but turn to complete sh*t with an improper match....

Tj

Back