Finally... my system is balanced!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
After 4 years in this audio hobby, I have finally gone balanced!! From top to bottom, my system is fully balanced and life is good! It's been a goal of mine to get my system balanced and I saved/raised money to get to this point... the Cary SLP-05 was the crowning component that finally made it happen!

After asking fellow members, I decided on some XLR cables made from neutrik connectors and canare wiring. Not expensive either, but does the job. I got these cables for Christmas from my brother and I've been looking forward to putting them to good use since 3 weeks ago. Now that I'm back at my apartment, I finally got to rewire my system with the XLRs and now I'm fully balanced from source to amp! YAY!!

Quick impressions of an A/B session between SE and XLR show that going to balanced has tightened the image down the middle and removed whatever lingering doubt of the centered image. LOVE IT!

I'm sure this thread seems silly to some, but I think it's another milestone in this audio gig for me. I'm sure a lot of you fellas know what I'm talking about - getting your system to that next level is always a great feeling.

Just tonight, I played All American Rejects "It Ends Tonight" (acoustic, FLAC) through my system at about 75db and I was elated with the performance. Top notch! Little hairs on the back of my neck stood up! I can't ask for more than that... this is exactly what this hobby of ours is about!

Obligatory pics for the masses...
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Too cool!!:) Going all balanced is definitely the ultimate way to go. Canare and Neutrik are a great combination. Congrats!!:)

And no, this thread does not sound silly at all. I know if I finally achieved an all balanced connection with all balanced source component I would be ecstatic! Thanks for sharing. Excellent pix BTW!

Seth

Last edited:
Congrats, Joey. I always thought you were a little off-balanced, but I'm glad to hear you have that taken care of. :D

I have to agree with you that going all balanced really does make a great improvement on the system. I was very happy when I finally got to that point with my system. Rock On! :rocker:

I would never go back to SE , its so ....................well SE.:D

Joey... It’s beautiful when it all comes together. Congrats on being balanced! ENJOY! :music:

IS it wrong to love XLR? Is it?

Then call me a weirdo. Congrats Joey. Balanced is simply the way 2 BE!!!

I dunno if anyone will back me up on this, but for all my balanced cable I use Mogami. Great cable that is definitely proven itself in audio studios for some time.... just my .02 by the way, not very expensive at all.:rocker:

I dunno if anyone will back me up on this, but for all my balanced cable I use Mogami. Great cable that is definitely proven itself in audio studios for some time.... just my .02 by the way, not very expensive at all.:rocker:
Since Mogami makes "many" different cables, it would be good to note which versions you are currently using or have used. Some are pre-assembled, some are bulk, etc.

Too Bad Conrad Johnson has no XLR option. :confused:

Congrats, Joey. I always thought you were a little off-balanced, but I'm glad to hear you have that taken care of.

I have to agree with you that going all balanced really does make a great improvement on the system. I was very happy when I finally got to that point with my system. Rock On! :rocker:

I'm rockin', brother... I'm rockin'!! :D

What cables were you running before going with the Canare?

Just some Radio Shack gold fusion RCAs... nothing special but I've had them since the inception of my system about 4-5years back, Dan.

That's alright... you got Monoliths.... I don't know how that makes sense, but having Monoliths offsets everything.
IS it wrong to love XLR? Is it?

Then call me a weirdo. Congrats Joey. Balanced is simply the way 2 BE!!!

Chris... it's been a LOOONG time! Where you been man?! Come by again some time!

Too cool!!:) Going all balanced is definitely the ultimate way to go. Canare and Neutrik are a great combination. Congrats!!:)

And no, this thread does not sound silly at all. I know if I finally achieved an all balanced connection with all balanced source component I would be ecstatic! Thanks for sharing. Excellent pix BTW!

Seth

Seth... thanks for the comment regarding the picture. I didn't try too much to take that second pic, I just opened up the aperture and clicked. I can see that the Rebel XTi is faaaar superior to my old but trusty Sony P&S!

Congrats on another step forward with your system. I switched to balanced between my CDP and Pre a few months ago and was amazed with the change.

Then started obsessing over balanced between pre and amps. That ment upgrades to amps or change amps for balanced connections and better speaker connections. Changing amps won.

Unfortunatly, the cables were delivered to day and the amps tomorrow and I am out of town working.

I can't wait to join the -Keep Up With Joey Club- when I return home.

Be sure to keep us updated as you listen to more of your music.

Enjoy

Lew and Bill feel that SE is more musical.... Victor at BAT says just the opposite. Depends on the circuit topology in said components. Some definitely sound better balanced, some it doesn't make much of a diff. I always make it a point to try both with exactly the same cables and the results always come out different.

If you have balanced in your system and it is a better sound, then that's the way to go!

Some components certainly sound better run fully balanced. I guess it's best to do this if the manufacturer intended this mode of operation. Also it's no good doing this thing piecemeal. It's all or nothing. My system is fully balanced and seems to sound a little better than single ended - although there's not much in it. The main thing I like about XLR connectors is the positive way they click in and out.

Very Sweet!!! and what is it about balanced connectors that is so cool? I love the pics and it makes me start thinking dirty... :) anyway... Joey - did you do a review on the Cary pre???? I can't seem to find it - if you did....I've got the jones for a tube pre - and haven't demo'd anything - but have looked at the modwright 36.5 & then I saw yours....That is some ga-ga s**t!!! I don't think I've ever seen a nicer looking pre.....

Very Sweet!!! and what is it about balanced connectors that is so cool? I love the pics and it makes me start thinking dirty... :) anyway... Joey - did you do a review on the Cary pre???? I can't seem to find it - if you did....I've got the jones for a tube pre - and haven't demo'd anything - but have looked at the modwright 36.5 & then I saw yours....That is some ga-ga s**t!!! I don't think I've ever seen a nicer looking pre.....

Yes yes.... I did a review... it's on this site (under Off Topic Audio/Video) and on audiogon! I tried to be comprehensive also.. enjoy!

Joey

Congrats Joey! I am really glad you are pleased with your system. There is nothing better then when you are listening to music and you get that emotion that makes your hair on the back of your neck stand up. You have a truly reference system.

BTW...GET A REFERENCE SOURCE!!!!!

Too bad Musical Fidelity provides no balanced inputs, I've got some fair lengths of interconnects.

I do wonder if balanced connections would have made an audible difference.

Latest posts

Back