System #47 (CLS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
System #47 (CLS/Prodigy)

Here is a picture of the old den system. You may see the new setup and the transition from where it all began in the posts below. They start by talking about the original picture of my system that is now a few posts below.

Attachments

• den051907a.jpg
    den051907a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5,246
Last edited:
Very nice looking system. Do you make that matching cabinet yourself?

Can you explain more about your "BassMaxx B1 folde horn cabinets with 18" McCauley 6174 subwoofers." Sounds interesting.

Yes, I did make the wall unit. It was the only way to incorporate all my gear in the den. It is build from 2x4's, 3/4" plywood and faced with solid oak. The racks are standard 19" from Middle Atlantic (model Slim 5). The ends of the unit are shelves to hold DVD's and tapes.

The BassMaxx B1 are really pro gear you would find in a club or movie theater. They are serious overkill for home, but have a major advantage in being a folded horn. The pairing with the McCauley 6174 create a sub that is in excess of 100dB efficient. So the driver is moving very little and in turn moves very fast. Something very important for a sub that must keep up with CLS's. The bass is extremely musical, open and airy. These are not thump boxes. You can read more on their website: http://www.bassmaxx.com/home.html

Thanks for the info and link Luther. Now I have soome good reading to do. I've been reading good things from both IB and Horn sub setups.

The gear gets removed and the entertainment center starts to come apart.

Attachments

• remodel1.jpg
    remodel1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 6,345
Still need some finishing touches and trim work, but it's getting real close. I do not normally have this many speakers in the room, but I'm hosting an audio meet at my house tomorrow.

Attachments

• 101005.jpg
    101005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6,272
The new flooring looks fantastic. Your system looks great as well. I can only imagine how it must feel to sit and listen to it now. I am imagining this huge grin on your face....congrats! ;)

:D

Ok here is a night pic after everythings was where it should be. I will get a good day shot with some natural lighting this coming weekend and post it. The hardwood floors really woke up the room.

Attachments

• nightshot.jpg
    nightshot.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6,795
Here's a shot showing a neat piece of Martin Logan merchandizing I picked up a few years back.

Attachments

• cutaway.jpg
    cutaway.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,079
Well I would say it's done. Only minor thing to do now is clean up the wires behind the racks. The room has really brightened up and the CLS's like it. I have replaced the picture that begins this thread, so you don't have to drill down to see what my system looks like now. By the way, the light on the right side is from the new patio doors. You may have noticed in the remodel pics there were windows there before.

Thanks for looking and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Attachments

• patio112005.jpg
    patio112005.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 5,907
Last edited:
Musical sound system...

Wardsweb said:
Well I would say it's done. Only minor thing to do now is clean up the wires behind the racks. The room has really brightened up and the CLS's like it. I have replaced the picture that begins this thread, so you don't have to drill down to see what my system looks like now. By the way, the light on the right side is from the new patio doors. You may have noticed in the remodel pics there were windows there before.

Thanks for looking and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Wardsweb,

I think your new set-up looks totally awesome... :D What a great musical system. You have a Shanling T200 tubed SACD player, correct? What tubes did you use?
Congradualtions on a fantastic re-model of your CLS tubed system. Wow! It looks really fantastic! :D

Cheers

-Robin

Terrific system...

Wardsweb,

I am curious, do you have a listing of all of the equipment in your system? I see your Shanling tubed SPT80 mono blocks on the top of your audio racks (L&R) and Your Shanling T200 SACD player... :D I see two tubed mono block on the bottom (L&R), but what brand are those? You have so much excellent gear in your system, Wow... :D

I all looks fantastic...

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Cls

The only criticism I have of your excellent system is the choice of colour for your walls. Usually darker colours work best for video viewing, but I presume your system does double duty as a family room.

Robin said:
Wardsweb,

I am curious, do you have a listing of all of the equipment in your system? I see your Shanling tubed SPT80 mono blocks on the top of your audio racks (L&R) and Your Shanling T200 SACD player... :D I see two tubed mono block on the bottom (L&R), but what brand are those? You have so much excellent gear in your system, Wow... :D

I all looks fantastic...

Cheers

-Robin

The amps on the floor are not in use at the moment. They are a custom DIY 2A3 I built from scratch based on a Loftin-White design. I have been in electronics professionally for over 20 years. My father was a musician and electronics instructor, so I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand. I remember him building tube amps on the kithen table when I was young. Gee, I turned into my Dad. :)

Attachments

• DIY2A3_500.jpg
    DIY2A3_500.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,147
They are gorgeous...

Wardsweb said:
The amps on the floor are not in use at the moment. They are a custom DIY 2A3 I built from scratch based on a Loftin-White design. I have been in electronics professionally for over 20 years. My father was a musician and electronics instructor, so I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand. I remember him building tube amps on the kithen table when I was young. Gee, I turned into my Dad. :)
Wardsweb,

The custom DIY 2A3 you built are marvelous... :D I am not familiar with the Loftin-White design but I bet they sound great? They look stunning. You must be a very talented electrician to have built your own custom tubed amplifier / electronics. I really admire talent such as yours, as it is something I could never do but I can appreciate... ;)

The photos look great. Thank you for sharing, also for sharing the photos of the Carver Silver Seven, I appreciate it. :D

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Cheers

-Robin

Super Cool TT...

Wardsweb,

Wow! now your new Clear Audio Champion 2 looks like it came from Star Trek TNG or Star Wars... :D The SME 309 arm look great. What style of needle cartriage does it take? Is it a dimond stylsis?

Latest posts

Back