Blue Merle - Burning In The Sun

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Artist - Blue Merle
Title - Burning In The Sun
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Island Records USA
Genre - Pop/Rock

As most of you know, I really like britpop. The GM at my office heard my ringtone (Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know") and we started talking and quickly discovered we have very similar taste in music.

So he turns me onto this band and says, "They sound EXACTLY like ColdPlay, but with more of jazzy sound"... Hmmm. I'm interested..... So tonight I download the CD from iTunes and WOW!! AMAZING! Converted it to FLAC and played it on my system. DOUBLE WOW!

Yeah, they sound alot like Coldplay, but with a more adult contemporary sound. Very high quality sound too, which just sounds incredible on my system!

From CD Universe:

Though Blue Merle originally had a tangential connection to the poppier end of the US jam-band scene, the group's debut, BURNING IN THE SUN, reveals a combo much more closely allied with the moody British sounds of the Coldplay/Travis axis. Interestingly, Blue Merle forges the style's dreamy epics using primarily acoustic instrumentation that often makes the group sound like an unlikely combination of the Dave Matthews Band and Echo & the Bunnymen. The title track employs a fleet-fingered mandolin pattern in the same way other acts might use a synth loop. On "Stay," lead vocalist Luke Reynolds summons the spirit of Jeff Buckley, soaring into falsetto over a jazzy mix of acoustic guitars and cellos that is part Jason Mraz, part Joni Mitchell. With its finely hewn arrangements, emotive vocals, and organic instrumental textures, BURNING IN THE SUN should appeal to folk, rock, and pop fans alike.

Attachments

• merle.jpg
    merle.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
listening to this again.... SO GOOD!! One of you guys have to get this and let me know if you like it as much as I do.

:music:

Tom, I heard a cut on XM and was very intrigued. At first I though it WAS a new Coldplay cut. I'll pick it up over the weekend and post my comments here.

Listened to it a couple of times this evening,
I don't see the comparison to Jeff Buckley,
But I understand the comparison to Coldplay, also on a couple of tracks the lead singer really reminded me of the Counting Crows Adam Duritz,

Although I didn't love the album, there are a couple of real Gems in the middle of the album, "Every Ship Must Sail Away" and "Boxcar Racer"

The title track which happens to be the opening track, reallly turned me off, didn't care for it at all, so if thats the case for you when you pop this in keep listening the songs get better from there.

As Tom stated sound quality is also above average, sounds good on the ML's

Latest posts

Back