Another DIY ML Sub

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattables

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to all who posted pics and tips on how to make a good DIY sub. For this one I used a Dayton SA240 240W Subwoofer Amplifier from Parts Express, and a ML 10” woofer. The box is 1” mdf with a cherry veneer and some 1.25” sonic barrier foam. The ML 10” woofer was a replacement for the one in my Dynamo which died in a move. My wife did not like the look of the Dynamo, so I decided to make this little number. This was a lot of fun, but I think I could make the next one a little cleaner. I used a dark sangria stain, and I think next time I might mix it with some dark walnut. I used a ‘tongue and grove’ setup to make the joints air tight for the box, but I still sealed all of the seams with silicone. Again, thanks for the pointers,
Matt
sub.jpg

Very nice! I am finishing up a 15 inch servo sub now for HT and such.

How does the Parts Express Amp do with the driver?

so far I like the parts express setup. It has plenty of power, and once I solved the source of a fairly noisy ground loop, I am more than satisfied. I have only had it playing for 5 hrs, so I look forward to the sound after break-in. The sound is good and tight, I hate the boom sound... but it did sound good with the Lord of the Rings DVD. All parts included, this sub cost about $210. In short, I give the amp a thumbs up.

Matt

I think my donkey could take your wolf ! ? !

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice job. I am curious where you decided to set your crossover? Are you noticing any peak resonances? And did the sub come from the dynamo or did you source it from somewhere? ebay maybe?

Great to see your project-thanks for sharing

Dominick

Back