ML for small room? Does size really matter?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amansker

Reaction score
I have owned many planar/ribbon/electrostat speakers over the years and recently tried out a couple of conventional speakers. Time to go back . . .

My room is 13' x 17' x 8'. Previously owned Soundlab Dynastats that sounded heavenly. Time to try ML.

The question is on ML size and does it matter. Would there be a noticeable difference between the Sequel/SL3 compared to a ReQuest? I know the xover is 250 vs 200 and lf driver is 10" vs. 12". Both are rated to 30hz. Is there a significant difference to be heard on the bottom assuming room size and volume will typically be "low to medium" and never really "cranked"?

As for the panel size, does it really matter since the room size is small and volume 'reasonable'?

Current hardware is Anthem Int2, Mccormack DNA 0.5 and Antique Sound Labs 50w tube amp.Will build system around the MLs as time goes on.

I'm in San Diego if you have speakers for sale. Thanks for all feedback.

Lugano (Radu my friend) is correct. This is not sound flip but it can make a difference to the "sound" presentation. I have Sequel II's and then I went to CLSiiZ's with in the same room. Ignoring the bass difference the panel did make a difference. It was a wider sound stage and has great depth.\\I beleive the Rquests have a wider panel than the Sequel/SL3's did/

Hope this helps a bit

Jeff:cool:

Yes, the room is very important. I have tuned the room to Apogee, Magnepan, Soundlab and Acoustat over the years. I'm more curious about the specific differences between Sequel/SL3 and Request if the volume is not a concern.

Thanks for the feedback.:music:

Back