Hiss from One Channel - Cary SLP-05

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Can anyone advise action for a hissing sound from left Channel (with the Volume at Min position) from SL-05? The pre-amp is only one year old.

Might be a dead/dying valve - I had a similar problem with my Copland CTA-305 (making a slushing sound in one channel, starting and stopping) - when all valves were changed all was well and haven't had an issue since.

Have you already eliminated the amp or any other possible source? Are you using any line (a.c.) filtration? I've noticed various degrees of very low level hiss with the different line filters I've used. Other than that, it may be a tube dying, as has been stated.

Sounds like a tube going bad. Call Cary and see what they say.

Good luck.

GG

Since it is coming from just one channel I would first suspect a faulty tube. Did you try swapping tubes one at a time between the left and right channel to see if the hiss follows a tube swap? Also, are you sure it's coming from the preamp and not from the amp, cable or speaker?

Last edited:
Since it is coming from one channel I would first suspect a faulty tube. Did you try swapping tubes one at a time between the left and right channel to see if the hiss follows a tube swap?

Hola...usually if the problem is volume dependent, then it is coming from the pre-amp. Also, a change in the harmonic texture, will be a bad tube too. Good idea is as Craig is saying...swap one and listen, then swap another until the problem changes to the other side...that is the culprit...happy listen and happy new year!
Roberto.

I have had experienced this with my prior Cary 98L... and it was a bad tube.

Chances are you have a bad tube in your 05.

On a side note, we should form a Cary 05 club....:devil:

Back