Breitling vs Rolex vs Omega

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which watch if you were limited to ONE watch forever?

• Total voters

Though surprisingly, I haven't heard much about Omega...
My Omega was absolutely trouble-free for 15 years, then I got some water in it and set it aside for 10 years. Missing it, I got it serviced and it worked fine for about 10 years, but now it keeps stopping. Time to get it serviced again. BTW, apart from the current problem, it has always kept perfect time.

I just tried out the Omega SeaMaster GMT today.... that's a FINE watch also! I think I want one of each now.... Rollie, Bretlie, and the Omega. Too bad I'm not rich....

*sigh*....

I worked for Richemont for several years (parent of Cartier, Baume Merciere, IWC, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger lecoultre, Piaget, Dunhilll and Panerai and so on) in the watch service vector and have worked hands on with all the above brands with many of the finest watch makers left on earth (their a dying breed mostly Portuguese and Russian).. First off I would not recommend bringing your watch anywhere but to the authorized manufacturer for repair or service, it may cost a few bucks more but theres usually a 1 year guarantee and Ive seen some real horror stories come in, sometimes from desperate watch shops themselves "i took this watch apart and cant put it back together" heck sometimes we cant put them back together, most good watch makers will look at an expensive watch and refuse to open it.

Never ever ever ever let anyone but the authorized manufacturer polish your watch, and only as sparingly and infrequently as possible.

About 80% of luxury swiss watches have movements made by the same company called ETA, a google search can give you an idea, they just stamp their own brand name on it and no ones the wiser. I know several big brands that absolutely use them in almost all their watches but didn't show on google. Rolex and Patek Philippe for the most part make their own movements, not neccesarily good or bad just sayin'.

To me the end all coolest watch around is Panerai hands down.. I also like the jeager le coultre Reverso on a bracelet

Sad part about this poll is that I have all three. The worst time piece of the bunch is the one I wear daily. If you own more than one automatic or do not plan on wearing one for an extended period of time, you must buy yourself a watch winder. Unlike many think, it is not to keep the watch wound but rather to keep the oils circulated on the inside of the watch which maintains the life of the watch.

I'll let you folks guess which is my daily wearer.

mark, i could have written exactly the same post! i have all three. yes, the worst time piece of the three is the one i wear daily. yup, watch winder.

(btw a winder's a machine, too, so can and will need servicing just like the watches. and also btw all winders are not created equal; the best ones are programmable to match specific timepieces' preferences for revolutions per minute, but, sigh, those are big bucks.)

joey -- have you checked out IWC?

mark, i could have written exactly the same post! i have all three. yes, the worst time piece of the three is the one i wear daily. yup, watch winder.

(btw a winder's a machine, too, so can and will need servicing just like the watches. and also btw all winders are not created equal; the best ones are programmable to match specific timepieces' preferences for revolutions per minute, but, sigh, those are big bucks.)

joey -- have you checked out IWC?

Which is the IWC?

I love my omega seamaster

I really like the fact that most people do not recognize it.
I personally think rolex screams "look how much I paid for this watch"
and my omega is just a really nice looking time peice.

Latest posts

Back